F-22 Demo Team coming to Atlanta: | FerrariChat

F-22 Demo Team coming to Atlanta:

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Gatorrari, Aug 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    For any of you who may be in the southeast U.S., the F-22 Demo Team will be performing four times here on the same weekend in October, at airshows in both Hampton (S. of Atlanta) and Rome (N.W. of Atlanta). Otherwise check the schedule for other performances during the remainder of the year.
    [​IMG]

rob lay likes this.
  2. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    Jim, I’ll be at the show in Rome.

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    So will I, on Sunday. (Saturday is the Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta.)

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Should be a heck of a show. With those 2-D nozzles and T/W out the kazoo, they can do a great show in a very small piece of airspace. Loud, too.

5. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I'd sure love to see a scheduled public demonstration, but will probably have to just make do with the memories of a pair of F22s doing strafing runs & acrobatics over Death Valley some dozen or more years back. Think my ex and I were the only ones in that particular area at the time - sure didn't see anyone else on the road. Our white Toyota Camry Solara apparently made a really good target against that scorching hot blacktop. :)

6. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I've seen the F-22 demo team a couple of times. They do put on a great show. The capabilities of that plane are awesome.

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I saw the show at Dobbins here a number of years ago, and there was one thing missing: smoke. Against a cloudless sky, it was a bit hard to tell what exactly the 22 was doing; if it had been trailing smoke, it would have been easier to figure out.

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No sense putting smoke generators on a CC coded fighter. Unless you mounted one where the external tanks are fitted.

9. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Montgomery is Saturday. Practice day is tomorrow. Both F-22s are parked 90 degrees left of this pic of our T-28s...I didn't want the Raptors in the pic because they were doing maintenance on the weapons bays at the time. Should be a great weekend.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  10. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I saw the same in Melbourne, FL. Absolutely beautiful demonstration and, at times, appears to defy gravity.

A gotta see for those who haven't. And a must see again as well.

11. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Very cool.

Red tails in the Raptor?

13. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    No smoke generators but if the humidity is right...

I pics I took were very similar to these.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Hannibal308 likes this.
  14. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  15. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Those pics are all great, thanks! I've seen the Raptor demo 3 times now and it never gets old. Twice at JSOH @ Andrews and once at the Tuscaloosa Air show. The demo team had 2 Raptors at Andrews with only 1 used throughout the weekend. However, Tuscaloosa never had the Raptor on the ground. It flew in from wherever, did its performance, and flew off in the distance. Any ideas why? I'm guessing security issue as I'm not aware of a national guard setup on the airport like Birmingham and Montgomery have. I'm typing this with the sound of AZ ANG F16s flying over my place here heading to Tucson. I never get tired of the sound of freedom. :)

17. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Some skin-tight cloth covers to make it fit in with the red-tailed Vipers of the Bama Air Guard.

18. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Awesome! Thanks for posting this. I was debating going to the Pensacola show this year. I live right on the flight line for the base and have watched the Blue Angels practice every year right overhead for the past 39 years but I have never seen the F22 in person! We had a F35 demo at the annual show but it was just a few passes and that was it. I've been spoiled living this close to the base and see all kinds of planes but this has got me pumped up. The Raptor is my favorite jet and I can't wait!

19. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    What is the price tag for each F22? I heard a number today on the news that put it at $425M a copy. That seems high but even at $300 million a copy that is a lot of money for a single plane. Don't get me wrong I love the aircraft but I never gave much thought to the price tag.

20. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

The cost per plane is artificially high due to the fact that so few were made... so not apples and oranges compared to other planes.

21. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I don't know if I'd describe it as "artificially high." Taking the program cost ($67b?) and dividing it by the number of planes is actually accurate considering you can't build a plane without that specific R&D and tooling. Excluding those sunk costs to only look at flyaway cost is probably more artificial and making it lower than it really is. Sure there is some overlap with transferring research onto future planes, but the same applies in what was learned from prior gens that helped develop the F22. $150 million flyaway cost was a good price and they messed up by cutting production short.