16m iPod Touch Head unit | FerrariChat

16m iPod Touch Head unit

Discussion in '360/430' started by jrtaylor9, Aug 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jrtaylor9

jrtaylor9 Rookie

Feb 28, 2015
    Anyone have a rough idea on % of 16m’s that were spec’d with the iPad Touch head unit? Cool idea at the time but unfortunately dated, unsupported tech today. I’ve looked at 16m’s off/on and always wondered if the ones ordered with std radio were slightly more sought after? Not to knock on anyone’s car, but I just can’t get past that odd looking piece on the interior. I realize the 16m is more for hearing that v8 right behind your head with the top down. But at the prices they trade at, seems like being picky is allowed. Any thoughts on this from current 16m owners?

I know originality is important but wonder what it’s like to retro-fit the standard crappy radio?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    The problem is that to retrofit the standard radio you will need the full carbon panel. Mine came with both options, the iPod Touch and all the parts have stayed in the box.

3. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    What is the iPad touch head unit? Is that some obscure Becker unit that is even worse than the original one that I put in my 360 because that one sucked worse? Got any pics?

4. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Eurospares have plenty of the standard DIN radio panels, should you choose to go that way.

You also require an adapter lead for whatever radio you decide to fit, in order to provide a line out to the amplifier wiring which is part of the main dashboard harness. It is not difficult to do, just something to be aware of.

5. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    Ghostdiver likes this.
  6. jrtaylor9

jrtaylor9 Rookie

Feb 28, 2015
    one4torque and Ghostdiver like this.
  7. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    Mine has the iPod Touch "option" and I never, ever use it. I did get an extra iPod Touch to keep as "back up" in the event the OEM unit dies. The whole concept of trying to control the iPod Touch while driving is really distracting and since I drive 99% of the time with the top down, the sound outside the car is better than anything coming from the iPod Touch, unless I had recordings of 12 cylinder Ferrari's at redline :)

8. Toby Tyke

Toby Tyke Karting

Nov 15, 2017
    SoCal & Singapore
    Full Name:
    Toby Tyke
    Mine has the standard Ferrari / Becker unit. Although I prefer to listen to the exhaust !!

Sky Hye likes this.
  9. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    It just so happens I do have that on my iPod. Strange feeling when your flying down the highway, windows and CS valves open and you hear something coming up fast, really fast.... you check your mirrors, but then you realize it's just your iPod playing a 333sp during a qualifying session....

fc2 likes this.
  10. RAKLAW

RAKLAW Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Westchester,NY & Sarasota FL
    Full Name:
    RAK
    I have the radio/nav option.. It also came with an Ipod in acute little alcantara pouch with a prancing horse stitched in.
    There is a plug provided near the console to plug the Ipod in and play it my using a media option on the radio.
    The reception is surprisingly good...better than the radio actually but at speed with the top down its useless.