No listing price on sale ad. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

No listing price on sale ad.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Metastable, Aug 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. larry1987

larry1987 Rookie

Aug 27, 2018
    California
    Full Name:
    Larry Lei
    A honest seller will list the Price without any doubt

LARRYH, Jakuzzi, Zcobra1 and 2 others like this.
  2. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Yup - I do not consider those cars. ;)
    I just have to wonder if those dealers who do not put a price down, are losing potential customers. I was looking all over N. America..... passed over a number of vehicles.... I especially remember one in Florida. Hmmmmm ...... should I bother asking? Nahhhh.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  3. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #28 ylshih, Aug 30, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    1) The site's rules are that you may not discuss a seller's pricing policy on their own ad; you are free to discuss it outside their ad. If you can't respect the basic courtesy that an advertiser gets to advertise in the space that they paid for without harassment, then there's nothing more to be said and you will face the consequences directly.

2) Advertisers who choose not to put a sales price on an ad may in fact lose contacts or sales. Despite that, this site doesn't pretend that "we know better", there must be reasons they do what they do and we respect that.

3) Since advertisers still continue to do it, despite some vocal users who have objected over many years as this topic has come up repeatedly, the consequences of the practice must not be as severe as the complainers imagine. Advertisers are OK with losing the complainers as customers; live with it.

Advertisers who choose not to list a price are like users who make a post that a few find objectionable. As with any objectionable post, the general guidance of the moderators is to ignore the thread or post and move on, or if seriously offensive, to report it. Do not expect you're going to change anyone's behavior by badgering the advertiser; in fact badgering users frequently end up violating the rules themselves.

FWIW, I have seen the same sponsor/advertiser/broker list asking prices on some ads and ask for users to call on other ads. In those case, it seems the restriction was placed on the advertiser by the actual owner. Badgering that party to violate his agreement with the actual owner seems particularly fruitless.

dm_n_stuff likes this.
  4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Does FerrariChat verify if the seller is real? Phony ads appear to be everywhere. I would think you would need a VIN at a minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Jakuzzi likes this.
  5. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    I won't deal with anyone on anything if I feel they are strong arming me into direct contact. I am an introvert. I don't like direct contact until I am certain I want to deal.

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

yes and no.

When we see something that looks funny, or are alerted to it, we do some searching to see what's going on.

Google is an amazing tool for digging out truth and fiction.

I recall one car that was "for sale" that used images from two different cars, AND images from multiple online sources that were easily searchable. I got exact image matches with google image search.

We posted that information in the ad, and asked the "seller" to comment. That pretty much sealed the non-deal status of the car, and alerted all potential buyers of the issues.

As you know, almost any document can be faked with photoshop. Lots of vins, and the structure of those vins, are available online, so anyone can pretend to be the owner of a specific car. Unless it's a low production car, or a famous one, it is sometimes difficult to be sure a car is actually owned by the guy listing the car. But I don't think we've had many/any cases here where a phantom car was paid for but never delivered. We have certainly had misrepresented cars, as multiple threads can attest.

Does that answer your question? Sort of??

D

7. larry1987

larry1987 Rookie

Aug 27, 2018
    California
    Full Name:
    Larry Lei
    I guess the KEY thing for BUY & SELL is still the Safety issue - IF buyer paid much money and NEVER get anything , This really hurt . Using Paypal as possible as you can to get protected .

8. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    #33 F355 Fan 82, Aug 30, 2018
    Ok while we're here, should sellers be allowed to bump a car for months on end without posting a price? I hope you don't ban me for this bc you said we're allowed to discuss here and not on their ads. The specific car Im talking about is now going on 9 months of being listed.....and he bumped it again yesterday....obviously the guy pays a ton of money to your site via all his sponsorships so you protect him but shouldn't listings expire? 9 months to sell a car that basically 1 of a kind? It's bc he still hasn't posted a price and nobody is wasting their time, but yet he keeps wasting everyone else's time by bumping a listing that is never going to sell.

here is the listing, read his last say 10 posts, it reeks of desperation honestly. Again, the price point has nothing to do with selling the car, its the manner he's doing it. As I said in a thread on the business forum, I just sold my condo in 3 days, I listed it, realistically and 20-30% below the inflated asks of the others for sale in the building. So while others listed at 20% higher and wanted to negotiate, I listed for a fair price and it sold right away, this seller isn't even trying to sell the car he could post a price if he really wants to sell that bad and has been bumping for 9 months. I'm not interested in hearing how market price has risen in the 9 months it hasn't sold or who knows maybe its a bait and switch. I have other exotics, Id love to have that rare car but knowing that particular seller and from what I've heard from other members, I don't want to play games. It sucks bc as long as the price was in line with another one I saw sell previously, I would've bought it and I posted as much back in january!

Still think there should be a time limit on listings or you anchor them or something bc its annoying going back through the new listings and its just old ones being bumped forever. Well priced cars, good cars, they sell fast, you don't have to take months to get deals done, we're all looking all the time. It seems like no other members are willing to play this guess the price game. Realistically with a 1 off car, he's looking for us to set the market bc frankly he just doesn't know what its worth, and thats fine, send it to an auction in that case and the market will set a price but seems like no members are playing along bc its been 9 months now.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/make-offer-1995-355-challenge-car-with-street-title.568085/

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jakuzzi likes this.
  9. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

F355 Fan 82 -

Sometimes it's best to just let something go. I get it, I think we all do, that you're unhappy about Mike's approach and his challenge car, I think just about everyone has known that for months, but you're really beating a dead horse.

To directly answer your question, YES, with some limits as to number of total bumps per week and month, but not the cumulative number of times an individual ad can be bumped, he can bump that until he works his fingers to the bone.

At some point I think I'd close the old ad and start a new one, but, it's not my car to sell, and I don't own his business, and last but certainly not least, Mike doesn't ask my advice on this stuff.

As a moderator, I follow the guidelines set up for me by Rob and FC, which are generally delineated by a sticky post, or posts within the specific forum in question, particularly as it pertains to adverts.

Mike gets a gentle reminder/nudge when he over bumps, and I have on multiple occasions deleted his excessive bumps.

D

Dave rocks and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  10. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    It kind of sad to put it this way, but its about time. Time is the worlds most valuable commodity these days. An add with no price means buyer has to do additional work (call/email/text whatever) to get a number or price range. It's not the amount of $ thats the issue. it's the extra time required to find out info that should be right up front. Sellers who do not put a price on an item are simply losing potential buyers because they (buyers) will move on to other items which don't rewuire this additional time.

11. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Here's the thing, ok so check out this other ad from that same seller while we're on topic here

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/free-delivery-80-000-1996-355-gts-red-tan-stick-34-000-mi.583252/#post-146172833

The title says FREE SHIPPING

then look at this....again i've wasted time with this guy previously thinking a deal was done to get a last second significant price change, so i've learned not to waste time with him and its happened to others but you guys as mods only moderate what you see on the site, not what happens offline which is fine, but you have to understand why many of us are mad and he's allowed to continue doing it bc he donates so much money and thats fine but its not right. It's like a nightclub owner allowing a customer to keep abusing others just bc he spends so much money in there. Nice to see another member called him out on his error in the listing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Boomhauer likes this.
  12. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Well seems he made a mistake there.:( That would NEVER happen with anyone else here. :rolleyes:

Do you think it was an attempt at a bait and switch?:mad: Or just an honest mistake.:confused:

I think you're fixated on this guy. Really time to let it go. You've more than made your point. Go for a nice drive in one of your delightful exotics, it'll help. While you're driving, you can calculate the commissions he's missed out on with you buying cars elsewhere. :p

Don't you just love these smileys??:)

I understand your issue, lots of folks have similar issues with this and other sellers. Caveat emptor applies at all times in the world of buying almost anything, and it certainly applies to expensive used cars.

D

anunakki and Dave rocks like this.
  13. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Im just fixated bc mods like yourself ban guys like me for every little thing I say that you disagree with but turn a blind eye just bc someone spends a little more than my $50 annual membership and does way more nonsense and this thread allowed us to vent :)

Again its fine, I get it someone has to pay to keep the lights on....have a great holiday weekend

Jakuzzi, Gran Drewismo and Boomhauer like this.
  14. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    No price = even they’re ashamed of it.

15. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    My favorite is when they say something like "the owner doesn't want it listed"....ok so the owner wants it sold, but it cant be out there what he wants for it? Got it.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  16. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Myself? I won't bother to call or email, but my budget for anything is pretty pitiful.

At one time? Someone I worked for tasked me with looking for various things. They would often have a budget in the 6 figures. They specifically said they were not willing to negotiate - find something, if the price is right, they would buy it.

Some folks who lost out on that? People selling what I would call "mid range" cars, and VERY upper range stereo gear... and, probably ME. LOL

anunakki and Boomhauer like this.
  17. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Your problem, not mine. However, when the day comes and somebody rips off a buyer via an ad on FerrariChat, fair or not, the blow back will hit you guys. I've been over this before with Rob and don't care to mention it again. But Gerald Rouse always vetted for sale ads in the Ferrari Market Letter.

Jakuzzi and Boomhauer like this.
  18. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #43 ylshih, Aug 30, 2018
    The exchange in the ad you linked is either a mistake or a change in terms and conditions. That may make the seller difficult, but it doesn't make it a scam. Don't like it? Don't deal with the seller.

1) Sponsors or advertisers don't get to do whatever they want, but what we do enforce is somewhat limited and defined by the general site rules and the subforum speclific guidelines (Classified Ads, P&R, F1 and Australia sections have special guidelines). Your problems with the moderators have been because you complained about the sponsor on their own ads or the way you phrased your complaint ended up being a personal attack.

Sponsors do have more privileges, for example they get bumps that regular advertisers don't, but it's not unlimited. Sponsors have been banned and have had posts/bumps deleted for violations. We also don't have a time limit on ads. Some users have multiple items and they sell from that one ad continuously. If an ad hasn't had a post for a very long time (1 year?), it does get moved to the ad archives.

2) We don't enforce terms of any deals or verify sellers (or buyers). We generally don't have the information or bandwidth to monitor the details, too much of it happens in private and the stories, when given to us, are generally one-sided.

3) We do allow sponsors and advertisers to be called out, just not on their own ads. This thread or other threads are open for all the complaints (or plaudits) you may have about any seller (or buyer). We advise users to research the seller (or buyer) for background on their credibility and integrity, then make your own decision about whether you want to deal with them. Take this thread as an example:

https://ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/avoid-la-scuderia-rossa-orlando-vetrano.522821/

4) In those few instances where we find absolute evidence that a user is a scammer, then we will ban the user, but such evidence is rare. Not listing a price, changing the terms of a sale in the middle of an ad, being a difficult seller or buyer, etc, even failure to deliver a product or failure to return a product wrongly sent, does not necessarily make it a scam. There are plenty of threads on here about sellers and buyers accusing each other of wrongdoing, and readers are left still scratching their heads after multiple pages of accusations and assertions. We don't consider it our jobs to decide who's right or wrong, we leave the threads to speak to future users.

Jaguar36 likes this.
  19. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    This is a great (and honest) point-and I think a lot of customers re these cars operate this exact same way.

That said, I actually do like being the buyer when there is no price listed. It's some work but if it's the car or item you want it does give you the opportunity to go crazy low, even wholesale as mentioned earlier. Nobody actually needs these cars right?

Texas Forever likes this.
  20. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I look at ads without prices the same way as I look at the ads from that are on the top and bottom of the pages. An annoyance that helps pay the sites bills. If the seller doesn't want to post a price, I'm not going to contact them.

I think they will lose sales, plus spend more time dealing with people who's budget isn't inline with the car, but they paid to be an advertiser, they can do it how they like. When a sponser does it frequently, I just ignore all the posts from that sponser. Its also great when that sponsor posts in other ads that he knows the seller as that is an indication to stay away from those cars too!

Jakuzzi and Texas Forever like this.
  21. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    DID HE WRITE IN ALL CAPS??? WAS IT A GREAT TIME TO MAKE YOUR DREAM COME TRUE??? :)

22. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

MAYBE!!!

:D

D

Schulz308, Texas Forever and Jaguar36 like this.
  23. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

not mine.

D

24. neilhellr

neilhellr Karting

May 30, 2004
    Central IL
    Full Name:
    Neil H.
    I feel the same - if you can't list a price, what are you ashamed of? Normally I simply pay no attention to these listings either, as they are (in my opinion) a giant waste of everyone's time (something I try to respect as much as possible).

That all said - I was reading an ad for a car and the seller kept bumping and telling people that his price was fair (but not listed) just baiting and baiting and baiting someone to call...

I very politely made a comment that he may get farther by posting the "fair price" he kept mentioning and was almost immediately banned for a couple days.

ODD.

25. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    i know that feeling all too well, we must protect the sponsors who make this site happen!

Texas Forever and Boomhauer like this.