My 206 at Concorso Italiano | FerrariChat

My 206 at Concorso Italiano

Discussion in '206/246' started by omgjon, Aug 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
  2. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I saw it there and talked to Chris for a bit - beautiful car!

3. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Yes i also saw it did not know it was your but very nice car..

4. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    How could anyone do better Jon?

Lovely car....

Regards, Alberto

5. premieram

premieram Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    All over the place
    Full Name:
    Joseph T. Seminetta
  6. AAron512

AAron512 Rookie

Jul 15, 2018
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Good lord that’s a beautiful machine

7. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
  8. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Back in 2000, I showed my former Dino at the Concorso Italiano and they used FCA judging (Platinum, Gold and Silver awards). There was no award for first, second, etc.

When did the Concorso Italiano start ranking cars and handing out awards accordingly?

9. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
  10. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred

Freeman, Congratulations on the debut of your new RUF CTR. You did a masterful job of scaling up the old 964-based Yellow Bird. You are too modest to call attention to this masterpiece, but you deserve recognition for a magnificent accomplishment.

Jon, Your 206 is simply smashing! Congratulations to you as well.
    Regards,
    Fred

11. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Judging was odd. FCA did give out platinum awards, but the show itself gave out “second and third place awards” too, much earlier in the day. Basically someone walked by Jon’s car and slapped an award on it without any judging.

12. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    At Concorso Italiano, there's the as expected FCA judging. Separately, Concorso Italiano itself hands out 1st, 2nd, 3rd for each marque and uses their own people for evaluation. They do not take the normal approach to judging (having you start the car, check the lights, etc, etc). It's purely a visual inspection style of judging. I also took home a Concorso Ferrari 2nd award several years ago which is how I learned about it.

13. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    A “second” in the Ferrari class is a great compliment! I would imagine that there were quite a few Ferraris at Concourso! Not bad for “almost a Ferrari”!

Freeman

14. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Well deserved - beautiful restoration. And I love the terry cloth seat inserts.

15. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Fred,

Thank you. Basically the same size as the original CTR but wider in the hips. There’s a lot of hidden innovation that we developed into the body. We brought the shoulder out 30mm on each side while keeping the roof/side windows the same dimension/shape as the original CTR. This gave us more room in the whole body side and better aero. Made the flairs look more integrated and flowing like a Carrera vs added on like a Turbo. The car width is about the same as a 959, OAL is the same as the original CTR but with a longer wheelbase. We brought the larger wheels/tires up into the body ala 935. The OAH is lower than the original CTR. I wanted every detail to be an engineered functional evolution from the original CTR thus retaining the visual DNA. The body is shrink wrapped around the technology and passengers. This is the “Readers Digest” explanation. Now...back to Jon’s fantastic 206!!!

Freeman

16. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Freeman, how can I see the Ruf?

Regards, Alberto

17. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Ron and Mark are both correct. We were next to OMGJon's 206. Our Dino underwent full FCA judging, and we received a Platinum award with our Blue Dino Metallizatto 246, as did a Blue Sera Dino (Mark's?) that was placed two Dinos away from Jon's/Chris's Dino. I will be posting some photos later, but I am waiting for confirmation on the names of the owner of the other Dino that was awarded a Platinum, along with the list of all of the other Dinos present.

In Jon's case, we watched as one person walked through all of the Ferraris and the Dinos nearby and spent between 1 to 2 minutes walking around his car. There was no inspection of any sort for authenticity, originality, documentation, operational functions, etc., and nothing was opened or tested. Chris (who brought Jon's Dino) had left and when he came back there was a yellow paper placed under the windshield wipers.

The FCA Dino judging started a few hours later after the 3 judge team that judged the Dinos had first finished examining all of the 308s being judged. They were very thorough, and each team is usually limited to judging only 9 to 10 cars max. Other FCA teams were judging the other Ferraris present who had signed up to be officially judged by the FCA. It was a nice experience, and although you may believe you know more than the judges (which often is the case) this team had a fair amount of experience and the lead judge had spent time with Matthias Bartz in 2015 (I believe) when he was at Concorso Italiano and obviously had learned a fair bit about Dinos. I enjoyed talking to the judges and they asked very informed and considerate questions.

I am well aware, however, that that is not always the case.

On balance, I would recommend that Dino owners go through the experience because you might learn more about your Dino from the judges than you thought you would. Just treat it as a learning experience rather than a battle.

18. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Hey Mark -

Was the Blue Sera Dino yours? If so, I have a couple of things I wanted to share with you. Please contact me through my profile. Also, did you see the artist that sketched and did a watercolor of our Dino? We had no idea anyone was sketching our Dino until someone asked me to get away from it just after the judges had left. I was annoyed and when I turned around to see who asked me to move, there was a woman pointing slightly up hill to the artist. I found out later that she had been commissioned by Greg Whitten to do his ERA, by Fiskens to do their Christmas Cards, by Lime Rock for vintage racing posters, by Stirling Moss for the opening of a restaurant he is involved with, by Red Bull for their F1 team, and that she does events all over Europe and the UK.

Mark (another Mark)

19. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yes it was. I did see the artist, the painting was pretty cool. Was it for sale?

20. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
  21. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
  22. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

The painting (water color) was for sale. She also did several other cars at Quail and Pebble Beach. OMGJON's 206, Tish and Tom's (TNT) and several other Dinos are in the background too.

23. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Congratulations on your Platinum, by the way!

24. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Mark and Mark - would love to see photos of both of your platinum winning Dinos if you would be so kind!

25. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Perhaps they had already judged it somewhere recently?