348 Service on a car that sat? | FerrariChat

348 Service on a car that sat?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ferrarium, Aug 31, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Assuming a car has 1000 legitimate miles since last major 5 years ago where new belts and oem tensioner bearings we put in, and sat indoors, I get it makes sense to replace the belt as it may age or stiffen etc, but is there a sense that the bearings need replacing again?

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I'd replace them. They're not expensive plus you're re-establishing the car's baseline in the process.

3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    True. I'll do it. I guess I don't understand how static bearings go bad though, I read the do just sitting there, seems an unusual statement. Belts yes, bearings no.

ernie likes this.
  4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    They probably don't go bad since I doubt that the tension load from the belt is that great. However, what-ifs can be unsettling, especially in regards to the bad batches of bearings a few years ago.

But hey, that's me. Others may say "why waste the money"?

5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I would inspect the bearings for play when I was replacing the belt. There should be absolutely ZERO play in the bearings. If there is any play they get pitched for a new set of Hill Engineering bearings.

6. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    When bearings are static for an expended time period they often have a chemical reaction between the lubrication the metal and possible moisture or other residue. Over time this reaction may cause minute divots between the ball and the race especially with belt tension. This can cause premature failure once you return your Ferrari to service.

As a matter of good conscience I would replace all bearings, tensioners and idlers, the cost is minor comparing a failure under stress and speed. As stated above, once done you will have established a new base line for future service intervals.

just sayin'

tr0768

7. Surfari

Surfari Karting

Nov 4, 2016
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Luke
    I would replace them. On top of what Howard said, The bearings still have static radial force which could leave small indentations while sitting in one spot. All rotating equipment needs to be, well, rotated every once in a while. The hard part is getting the engine out, so you might as well replace the relatively cheap bearings while everything is apart.

8. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I am going apologize before I make this horrible analogy but pulling the engine and not replacing all the necessary parts that have anything to do with the belt is like quitting sexual intercourse before the orgasm.

bergxu likes this.
  9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yes makes sense, quite cheap to do. I got the Ricambi service kit that has the Hill bearings. Just never understood the bearings go bad sitting thing.
    Thanks for clarifying.

10. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Bad or not - the engine is out, and therefore the parts are accessible, and now you will know that there are quality bearings (Hill) in there, and next major you may not have to change them.

You will be "at square 1" an won't have to play guessing games with your engine.

11. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Not trying to get into a whole thing here but things can happen when people touch stuff, it has happend to me more than once. Enough on that subject.

I got the 30K service kit from Daniel, plus a hoard of other things actually but still pondering if it is new major as a whole is needed at this moment. It was done 5 years ago then drove 1K miles since, it has been stored at the shop since service. Once I pull it I would need to pull the timing cover to check oil pump bearing etc.

I am quite fine with maintenance but maintenance for good measure introduces other risks as mentioned. I am pondering if it "really" needs to be pulled and redone or drive it for a x time and x miles then redo it.

Thanks.

12. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Drive it and report back if anything goes wrong.:) Whattheheck, it's your car. Everything is ok til it isn't!

13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    ha ha, yes, check valves and replace timing chain and tensioner pads every 5K. Can't hurt! :rolleyes:

I was JUST clarifying the original post, was not saying pull the motor and change the belt but not tensioners, it was more pull it at all in that scenario. The answered were provided in the thread "it is prudent to do service at 5 years mileage or not for a host of good reasons."

Just to avoid further responses I am throwing service on and oil pump bearing check and r&r. New >105 amp alternator and a slew of other thing not actually broken. This thread is answered. Thanks.

Image Unavailable, Please Login