what could cause a 360 f1 clutch to slip? | FerrariChat

what could cause a 360 f1 clutch to slip?

Discussion in '360/430' started by 24000rpm, Sep 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

I replaced
    throw out bearing
    throw out bearing flange,
    all seals of , like dozens of them
    flywheel
    clutch.
    engine rear main seal

basically everything, except the pressure plate, because I think it is in good condition. My clutch was at around 70% life left anyways before the replacement so I think the pressure plate is fine.

i replaced the with new flywheel, clutch for some other reason unrelated to slipping.

now after everything, when I was downshifting from 3rd to 2nd gear and floor the gas, it slips really bad.

There's no oil leak anywhere between the gearbox and engine.

is it really the pressure plate?????

2. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Just curious, but why would you go in and replace almost everything but the pressure plate?

3. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Could you see the pressure plate? It might be glazed. But here is an answer I couldn't resist, "It slips because of crappy software mapping from the factory." Hehe, just kidding. But on a 360 the CS TCU helps a ton. Grade and cold temp will also cause it to slip more but that is all normal. But I have also found that the clutch will still nanny you even with ASR off in Sport mode if you shift below 5k rpm from 1 -2 and 2-3. I think this is to avoid wheel spin even with ASR off. I have no other way to explain it since the clutch is fine and works great above 5k rpm in those gears. Higher gears even better. My PIS is set to 3.79mm. Check your settings too. If the PIS is out of whack it could effect it. Also, g loading from dang potholes and other crap roads really flip out the computers.

whatheheck likes this.
  4. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

you can say testing. for 10 years I thought replacing pressure plate each time replacing the clutch is a waste. so this time i want to have a test.

5. Nine9Three

Nine9Three Karting

Oct 24, 2017
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If you replaced the flywheel then the PP was also in need of replacement. I suspect your PIS is far out of adjustment.

6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I would have a Ferrari Mechanic with an SD2 check your PIS setting.

As John above have mentioned, the 360 transmission software is not very good. Clutch slips badly during initial take off and really bad during reverse and uphill.
    It is also common for the clutch to slip when the transmission is not fully warmed up.

I have an F1 F430 now and this is one thing I am very happy about the F430 compared to my 360 F1, the clutch slip on an F1 F430 is much much less compared to the F1 360.

I hope you figure it out soon.

7. BigBo$$

BigBo$$ Rookie

Aug 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Gotti
    get it adjusted on SD2 and checked while there

8. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'm Pretty certain the OP has a Leonardo.

9. Stout

Stout Formula Junior

May 9, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    Full Name:
    Victor
    I was always under the impression that when the clutch is engaged, there is no hydraulic pressure on the release bearing. So the clutch would have all of the clamping force that the pressure plate can exert. Setting PIS would have no impact on a fully engaged clutch.

Clutch clamping force is a function of diaphragm spring force and fulcrum points that multiply the spring's force through increased leverage. If the clutch disk is too thick or the distance between the flywheel and the pressure plate clamping surface are too close, the pressure plate may not be exerting it's designed clamping force. This would allow you to apply more input torque to the clutch than it can hold.

It's just a thought.

10. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If the Op's 360 is and early model, the PIS can't be adjusted. I had a similar problem with my 2001 360 F1 and until I upgraded to the CS TCU, we couldn't keep the clutch from slipping. Clutch, TO bearing, pressure plate and F1 actuator were all replaced. Once we had the CS TC?u installed all slipping went away and the shifting was better, especially the downshifts. Hope this helps.

SoftwareDrone and whatheheck like this.
  11. Virulosity

Virulosity Karting

Jun 26, 2017
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    PIS, PIS, and PIS. Assuming all else is healthy.