Bare feet? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Bare feet?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ptama10, Aug 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pappy.72

pappy.72 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2010
    Elgin, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have size 12 shoes and have found vans skateboard type shoes are great for diving my 328. Good pedal feel and not wide.

2. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    #27 lm2504me, Sep 1, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    I would not go barefoot. I am 6’ 2” and size 13 feet also. I went for Salvatore Ferragamo Driving shoes. I store them on the passenger side. A good friend of mine advised me to buy them.
    Oops, does this make me a tosser too?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rosey likes this.
  3. peteficarra

peteficarra Karting

Jun 22, 2010
    ontario
    Full Name:
    peter j ficarra
    6 foot 4 inch Marine, 13 inch foot here. 86 Testarossa for 16 years, barefoot is how I drive, shoes on the side when I get where I'm going. Had 2 308's, wore Cowboy boots cause my feet were too big for the pedals. 2 Pantera's same, 3 XKE'S tight, many Corvette's tight. 911's there is a way to move the seat back to a rear hole if you take the seat out. 928S was comfy as well as 560 SEC. Too big for everything in the world except one thing and she sits on it.

4. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    That depends. Do you also wear driving gloves?

5. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    #30 lm2504me, Sep 2, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    Welllll..........:)I hate to admit it, but yes I wear driving gloves. My only reason is to protect the stitching at the upper part of the dash I have large hands with long fingers. I have looked at a number of 308s and have seen some damaged by rings and fingernails at the dash stitching. I do all I can to maintain an original interior condition.
    My wife thinks I go a little too far.

6. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Funny thing about leather palmed driving gloves is they were originally designed for the driver (usually of a sports car) to maintain grip on a wooden steering wheel which was obviously shiny and smooth.
    After which time they swapped the wooden wheel for a leather trimmed wheel to negate the need for gloves. I think they are cool, but on leather wheeled cars to they actually provide any more grip?

7. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Well when the throttle cable stuck (open!) on my 500 I was glad I was able to curl my toes over the accelerator to pull it back (problem was a gunged up connector at the bottom of the pedal).

8. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I agree about leather gloves with wood steering wheels. I had a Lambo Espada and the leather gloves were a must. Any sweating caused your hands to slip.
    The leather gloves provide less grip on leather rimmed steering wheels. I have found the top of the 308 steering wheel is very close to the dash and have hit it with my fingertips when I go to place my hands on the wheel during some quick large turns. This is the only reason I wear them.
    I could add a steering hub spacer spacer and take it off when showing my 308 at serious shows. I am going to look into this as a solution.

Rosey likes this.
  9. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    A pair of beat-up 20 year old Converse low tops are my favourite. Their super-thin soles give excellent pedal feel. I have better looking driver loafers, but the Converse are way superior.

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I tried to drive in socks..couldn't so it. Felt really weird. Can't drive in flip flops either. Full shoes and socks for me..

11. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Leather driving gloves do look cool though. So with the driving shoes all you need now is a brown leather driving jacket and you've got the whole look sorted. :)

12. AN-M

AN-M Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    André
    Eeeh...OK? I had to look one extra time at the header. Thought I had entered the Morganchat! o_O

13. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    For that you'd need a tweed jacket with leather patches on the elbows and a woollen flat cap. :)

thorn likes this.
  14. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I have an alcantara wheel on the Lotus, which has been destroyed by driving with bare (sweaty) hands. I bought one for the QV and some soft kidskin leather gloves, which grip the alcantara very well. My racing gloves grip even the old wheel in the Lotus with their suede palm inserts. I don't have a Morgan.

15. AN-M

AN-M Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    André
    Sorry to hear that. Not easy to live with sweaty hands. Take your shoes off and try to relax when you drive. Maybe that would help?

16. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Actually, my hands are quite dry! Temps get a little hotter here than Norway, and over time even my hands get sweaty enough to damage the suede. The Lotus is a tarmac rally car - if you want to see sweaty hands, you should see the navigator's! :p

AN-M likes this.
  17. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Don’t forget about the leather pants.;)

Rosey likes this.
  18. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You've forgotten about the goggles.

I use them all the time when driving my 308, but myopia makes it a requirement rather than a fashion accessory ;)

Rosey likes this.
  19. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    no, but sometimes I go in and out without shoes to avoid some door cards damage, as I have very long feet

ciao

20. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    I only drin in chaps ... gives you that direct connection to the car...lol

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app