Can injectors, plugs, coils, MAF,02 sensor,or Thermocoupler sensor trigger Motronic error? | FerrariChat

Can injectors, plugs, coils, MAF,02 sensor,or Thermocoupler sensor trigger Motronic error?

Discussion in '360/430' started by BigBo$$, Sep 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigBo$$

BigBo$$ Rookie

Aug 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Gotti
    Before I start ripping into my car and half experiment and cause more problems i thought I would ask if anyone could possibly guide me in the right direction as to what im experiencing with my car.

Im new to Fchat, my second post i recently a month ago bought a 2004 360 Spider Rosso Corsa , it is having a bad case of misfires put it on a scantool it comes up Motronic left side errors and misfires on both left and right cylinders, however most misfire codes relate to the one bank cylinders mainly the left.

Previous history of this car , I overfilled with oil as i didnt realise "dry sump" and thought it was low on oil and the oil was to be checked with engine odd so got a false reading. I probably overfilled about a litre of oil if not a little more, I pumped out as much as possible but only after I had started the car and ran it for about 30 mins! (smoke blew out everywhere!!)

So upon reading some posts on this site, I found this can contaminate into the plenum chambers and create all sorts of other issues I dont know if this is the only issue as it was the first time i had started the car when i got it, and being bought from an auction it had sat for about 2 months there with a flat battery, so i also didnt know that there is a relearn procedure for the car to relearn the parameters so i just immediately assumed that the car had serious issues from the car in "relearn mode splattering backfiring". First thing i did when i bought the car was to change old fuel possibly foul, and charge the battery, then was basic checks, fluids , coolants, oils, and thats when i put the oil in, and then realised i had made a huge mistake with the oil overfill and checking it with motor off and COLD!

I have cleaned out as much oil as possible out of the throttle bodies and cleaned the MAFs with MAF cleaner. Im assuming the misfires are from the oil now on the plugs (gunked up) or just previously stuck injectors, or coils, or fouled up 02 sensor/ MAFs ,either way i will be stripping down one by one and testing the MAFs to see if maybe one of them is throwing all these codes , then swapping the ECU from left to right see if codes register to other bank, then i will be getting into the plugs, coils, and injectors performing all the tests other people have posted on this site with my results and photos. Terrific site with lots of useful information of knowledgable people I must say , already got my first post solved in a day! for a connector that just sits in the engine bay, funny enough Ferrari didnt cap it off at least and secure it somewhere
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

i dont buy the idea of "you can't diagnose on the internet thing"

i am no native speaker of english but i have to tell one fact.

when u r saying a motronic code, I assume u are talking about check engine light.

let's say, you have a code of p1234. The code can be presenting it self in 4 ways.
    1. present with cel on as shown in sd2/3
    2. absent with cel on as shown in sd2/3
    3. present with no cel on as shown in sd2/3
    4. absent with no cel on as shown in sd2/3

1 is the most serious, u have to address it.
    2 maybe a temporary thing, for example, if I disconnect the MAF while engine running, it will give u a "p1234 present" , shut off the car. reconnect the MAF, start the engine again, u 'll see "absent p1234", until u clear the code.
    3. have to address it, depends. for example, if my memory serves me, some misfire, if not severe, will give u a "present", but no CEL. maybe it is intermittent,. im not sure on this, but it is what i observed.
    4. a fluke maybe, similar to 2. but it didn't trigger a cel.

so, tell me what your code is and its "status" (present? absent?)

and the car's symptom and maybe we can help u

BigBo$$ likes this.
  3. BigBo$$

BigBo$$ Rookie

Aug 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Gotti
    Today will scan and take photos of codes the CEL is on! and the codes if i recall correctly say "Serious Misfire cylinder 8,6,4,5 etc...." tomorrow will update this thread , I thought maybe it was not needed at this stage

4. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

looking at the photo again, it maybe the plug that was plugged under the throttle body
    look at the other side, see if you have an identical plug plugged under the big black hose

5. BigBo$$

BigBo$$ Rookie

Aug 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Gotti
    This is what I initially thought and was so happy that I found the issue and the solution, but that plug for the throttle body was plugged in and more of 4-8pin plug not a simple two pin, it looks like it’s a sensor plug or diagnostics for something there

6. BigBo$$

BigBo$$ Rookie

Aug 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Gotti
    #6 BigBo$$, Sep 3, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    here are the errors its throwing just from starting, not taking it for a drive. After cleaning the MAF and swapping the MAFs around to other sides errors are still on same side, I did however notice that unplugging the MAFs individually whilst engine running only one side would change the idle of the engine, it was as if one side would not matter if i disconnected it or had it connected the engine remained the same. Would the injectors, plugs , coils, or 02 sensor or thermosensor causing any or all of this simply ? without me now getting into swapping motronic ECUs which i really dont want to do :(
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

ok, first. I heard, just heard, not a fact, that, if you have only one MAF, the car will run perfectly. But it has to be on a particular side. Which side? i dont know.

2nd, ur problem is more complex than maybe you think what it is. is your cel appears when starting code or while driving a warmed up car?

3rd. "active" means "present". same thing.

BigBo$$ likes this.
  8. BigBo$$

BigBo$$ Rookie

Aug 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Gotti
    CEL appears after starting 10 seconds more or less after turning motor on engine. What are you thinking may be the "more complex problem" is?

Even after i clear the problem it comes right back after i scan again

9. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/consistent-c-stradale-misfire-running-out-of-ideas.520948/

take a look at my thread