Buying a used speciale | FerrariChat

Buying a used speciale

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ascend, Sep 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ascend

Ascend Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Hello guys,

I am really new to F-car world. I've been looking for a used speciale with +/- 1000 mile around 400~420k

I see some speciale on cars.com and autotrader and etc.

Few questions. I know this is dealer price, how much can I usually negotiate? What's the actual value for speciale in 1000ish mileage

Secondly, what matters the most?

Some cars with 800 miles have 4 previous owners. Is this a deal breaker?

Thank you.

2. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Speciale have been holding value very well, but are relatively slow sellers (takes many months usually). Therefore, a seller who is unable wait might give a great price.

Number of previous owners means almost nothing. Condition is what matters. If you see a great condition car but then disqualify it due to number of owners, then that would be a poor judgement.

Best of luck in your search!

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Have the car very thoroughly inspected before negotiation …. !

of2worlds likes this.
  4. purexotic

purexotic Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 18, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Andrew J.
    I have no affiliation with this owner / seller but what about this one? Perhaps you can get it for $350K - $375K USD but you would know the prices better if you've been shopping for a while.

www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Ferrari-458-Speciale/292711727426

2015 FERRARI 458 SPECIALE
    2,750 MILES
    VIN# ZFF75VFA5F0210701
    FOR SALE BY: PRIVATE SELLER
    EXTERIOR COLOR: RED
    ROSSO SCUDERIA / BLACK WITH RED INSERTS
    NART BLUE RACING STRIPE
    TITLED AND LOCATED IN THE SF BAY AREA
    20″ FORGED GOLD RIMS
    3D INTERIOR FABRIC COLOR
    CF ENGINE COVERS
    CF FRONT AIR VENTS
    CF RACING SEATS
    CF REAR DIFFUSER
    DRIVERS SEAT ADJUSTMENT DEVICE
    ELECTRONIC MIRROR W/HOMELINK
    FERRARI TELEMETRY
    HORSE STITCHED ON HEADRESTS
    INTEGRATED AUDIO SYSTEM
    NART BLUE RACING STRIPE
    NAVIGATION & BLUETOOTH
    PARKING CAMERA
    REAR PARKING SENSORS
    RED STITCHING
    ROSSO SCUDERIA COLORED BRAKE CALIPERS
    SATELLITE RADIO
    SCUDERIA SHIELDS
    TITANIUM EXHAUST PIPES

5. Ascend

Ascend Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Thank you sire. So, # of owners doesn't mean much in F-car world.

Thank you! Does original MSRP mean alot when it comes to buying the car? And where are cars usually inspected?

Thank you for the link. But, I am looking more into 1k mileage ones.

6. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    DANG that car is gorgeous. If I were in the market for a Speciale that would be the car.

7. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    I think 400 to 420k would be on the really high side for the speciale, of course that depends on the msrp. Overall the market has gotten just a tad softer since pista. Just a tad though.

8. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    I think there are wisdom to the relative lack of importance of number of owner comparing to the overall condition of the car itself, but I would caution that the devil is really in the details. The length of time period for the number of owners is also important to note. If there are a total of 3 owners in only 8-9 months, I would be inquisitive to why. Sometimes some used car buyer don't want to buy a car with too many previous owners. How many is too many? Hard to say. But again all comes secondary to the overall condition and maintenance the car is in and had.

Also, I personally would not mind too much about the mileage of a 2015 car even if it's more than 3k miles, which only means the car is only driven about less than 1000 miles a month. Yes, the mileage overall is critical in determining the resale value of the car, but most people would agree that if the car is not driven at all, a lot of times there will be a lot of problems uncovered. You don't want to be the one to discover them without warranty.

9. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    MSRP of Speciale can vary dramatically, especially with carbon fiber options.

I would say that most are around $330-$340K. Low MSRP would be under $325K.
    High MSRP would be $360K or higher.

Occasionally you find a bloated MSRP of $380K or even $400K. Highest I’ve ever seen is $424K. Those were entirely due to cosmetic leather, paint, or carbon fiber.

of2worlds likes this.
  10. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Important typo fixed.

I think there are wisdom to the relative lack of importance of number of owner comparing to the overall condition of the car itself, but I would caution that the devil is really in the details. The length of time period for the number of owners is also important to note. If there are a total of 3 owners in only 8-9 months, I would be inquisitive to why. Sometimes some used car buyer don't want to buy a car with too many previous owners. How many is too many? Hard to say. But again all comes secondary to the overall condition and maintenance the car is in and had.

Also, I personally would not mind too much about the mileage of a 2015 car even if it's more than 3k miles, which only means the car is only driven about less than 100 miles a month. Yes, the mileage overall is critical in determining the resale value of the car, but most people would agree that if the car is not driven at all, a lot of times there will be a lot of problems uncovered. You don't want to be the one to discover them without warranty.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    +1

and what is the difference between 1.000 miles and 2.700? I pick up mine from factory, drove at home and counted almost 1.000 miles = half day usage :)

12. Ascend

Ascend Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Is there any options that are deal breakers or an added plus when buying Speciale?

From what I know

1. Suspension Lift - is a good plus but I've yet to see a used Speciale with this option

2. Nart Stripe - highly recommended

3. Body Color - Are red colors highly sought after? Or is custom sample paint command premium?

4. Back-up camera - a must?

Anything I am missing? Thank you.

13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think IF very low mileage is important too you, which means you will pay a premium for this, then you would also want to have a car with 1 or 2 prior owners. It would not ordinarily bother me, but since you would be paying a premium for such a car, then you should have it just so, and 4 owners in 800 miles is not a good profile for a "collector" spec. If you are going to pay top top dollar, then get a top top car. There is a reason why the little voice in your head is wondering if 4 owners is OK.

Some thoughts on your list:

Suspension Lift: very nice to have if you are driving the car. Would be nice if the car will be a garage queen for when you have to load and unload off a transport.

NART stripe: most say these cars need the stripes otherwise they look too plain (thats my opinion), but there are others who like the car without it. Thus, the stripe probably makes your car marketable to a larger audience, but there is an audience who would pay for a car without stripe. On this one I think you should simply go with what you love.

Same advice for body color. Red will attract the most people loving it. But for someone who really wants grey, or blue, or yellow, then they have less options. Get what you love.

Backup camera. Really nice to have.

My advice- if you are getting this car to drive it, but don't want to really lose value, find a car with like 3k miles and drive it until it gets to like 6-7k miles and then decide if you want to keep it or move on. If its to be some kind of investment garage queen then look for a car with even lower miles but you are going to pay a hefty premium.

14. Golattus

Golattus Karting
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    JN
    Hi,

My Speciale has front lifter and Everyday I drive the car I use several times it. To me is very useful item. Essential?

I also have backup camera, rear visibility is an issue in Speciale, so once again, very useful item.

I don’t agree on this sickness of not using cars. Sorry I have my cars to drive them; someday a doctor can tell you... “there’s something wrong in the routin scanner that needs further attention” and this day you don’t give a S... about depreciation. Drive the cars for happiness!!

15. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    I would say any utility option is going to add a lot more value than a cosmetic option. The only 2 big cosmetic options that add similar amounts of resale to their sticker price would be the Nart/Racing Stripe, painted calipers, and the carbon engine bay. The rest will most likely only recoupe a small percentage of their cost.

For utility options, the most desirable ones are probably the suspension lifter, parking sensors, and rear camera.

iloveferrari likes this.
  16. Ascend

Ascend Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Thank you everyone. This is such valuable responses and I learned a lot.

It is quite hard to find car with CF engine bay and etc. I guess I will search for one.

17. twist-a-grip

twist-a-grip Karting

Oct 25, 2013
    CF engine bays and gold wheels rule!!!

18. Ascend

Ascend Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Any recommendations where I can start a search?

I am using cars, autotrader and hemmings and maybe dupontregistry.

19. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    That is the least of the concern fortunately. Because people will tell you that the carbonio after market is equally nice at much cheaper price. It is so easy to change per feedback.

20. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    First, I strongly suggest to buy a CPO from the authorized dealer, as this is your first F car.. Go to official Ferrari website. Pre-owned.ferrari.com have a list of all cars in all dealers. (Hey, guys, am I right that the website have all the preowned cars in all authorized dealer? Please chime in)

Also I tend to look at Dupont more. But I used others to dig out pr change history. That's what I did with the 2016 FF.

21. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Look at this one I found on preowned.ferrari.com. Some people know I have a fetish with the color. Because of the fetish, I will overlook the super low miles. If I were to buy this one, I will buy the extended warranty. My brand new Cali T HS started to have gear problem at 700 miles but of course was covered by warranty.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    For about $12K a Ferrari dealer can add the ELEV (suspension lifter) and AFS is not required to a Speciale or other 458s. That price includes labor and parts. Yes, it is an actual kit offered by the factory.

23. Ascend

Ascend Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kim
    To sum it up, even CF engine bay and suspension lift and etc don't matter since they can be all retrofitted. This is very different from Porsche where options mean a lot.

F-car world is very confusing :)

24. Ascend

Ascend Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Sorry guys I am asking too many questions.

I see a lot of cars without CF engine bay OR cars without suspension lift.

So, does anything really matter option wise when buying a used speciale? Just mileage?

I am very confused :$

25. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017

Only you can answer what options matter to you. If you don't care about a suspension lift, then buy a car without it to save some money.