550 Selling? | FerrariChat

550 Selling?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 550nitis, Sep 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    I drove a 550 last week, it was glorious. The only other car that gave me the chills like this car was a 2007 Porsche GT3. The sound of the V12 was so intoxicating, the drive unbelievable with the comfort of a 5 star hotel. My question is why arent they selling?

Pretty the much the same 20 cars on Autotrader have been on the same site for over 9 months now. What gives?

2. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I think it's too young to be considered a classic, and maybe too old to consider paying the same as a 599 for.

I believe the next "wave" of classic car value increases will benefit the 550 greatly.

That said...well taken care of cars still sell.

mrp_e and 550nitis like this.
  3. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    #3 F355 Fan 82, Sep 6, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Classic cars are cool, I own 2, my slr and my 575, but with how fast technology is evolving lots of owners would now rather the new stuff. 20 years ago the difference in power between a new 360 and say a 348 wasn't that much but the difference between a 348 and a 488 is night and day. These new cars are leaving the classics in the dust in all aspects from performance to maintenance. I have anew 812 coming in a few weeks and frankly the depreciation it takes is fine with me for the performance and comfort it will give. My SLR is uncomfortable, extremely expensive to repair, and just drives terribly. The 812 runs circles around it in every way. Yes classics like the 550 are at a different price point but dont kid yourself $130-170k is ALOT of money, you can get a fairly new mclaren 570gt for that money and those are AMAZING cars. Frankly unless you're attached to the beauty of the maranello, which I am, there's alot better options out there for the money. Take my wife, she hates our 2 classics and give her the choice, she'd rather our RR Ghost or Mini any day bc of their creature comforts inside the car. These maranellos are for enthusiasts like us and nobody else, most people would sit in them and not appreciate them for what they are bc technology has evolved so much in the last 15-20 years in terms of CARS but the buyer pool today many want the newest tech, at least among my friends, nobody seems to love classics amongst the younger crowd, at least in my group of friends, and its sad.

4. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Agree. The Maranello IMO will become a sought after classic in the years to come. Its not because it's on the forefront of technology and creature comforts. Clearly any newer car even a Toyota will trump it in that regard. The 550/575 gated shifted Maranello represents what Ferrari used to be about and it defines the Brand. It was produced at a time when drivers wanted to "drive" their cars and not the other way around. A new McLaren is much faster and has all the whistles and bells. Driving a Maranello is a enlightening experience each and every time you drive one. Its an old school concept but with it comes raw visceral fun.

5. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I would agree but performance is all relative.
    Having moved to miami i can tell u car makes no sense here; there are no good roads, no twisties where u can enjoy the cars. Its all
    About style and vanity.
    In California now thats where cars make a lot of sense to me.
    Honestly i have just as much fun if not more there in a classic than a 458/488...its visceral, un-assisted...
    That being said the 550 ...not sure it will appreciate that much anytime soon, probably the stick ones will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    you live in miami now? Actually man I live south of fifth so my favorite route is getting out on the 5th street bridge to I-95 north then flying down 41st street bridge, lots of scenic waterfront driving, I usually make that trip 2-3x a week in my cars really early 7 or 7:30 am. If you're here we should go sometime

F456M and 550nitis like this.
  7. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Yes moved 3 months ago- going back to California every month or so... the roads are just so flat and straight here;(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

550nitis likes this.
  8. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Well if you'd like shoot me a dm, i dont know where you are, but im in south beach and the scenic route i take is awesome for a fun ride

550nitis likes this.
  9. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Back to the OP's question... who knows? Nobody can fully explain the vicissitudes of the Ferrari market or specific Ferrari models. Values can and will fluctuate based on whatever factors there are at play at the time. A good car priced well will always be more salable than a mediocre one not priced well. Otherwise, it is what it is.

Most of us would agree that the 550 is a "glorious" driving experience regardless of what other faster/newer/better ("better" is a relative term) cars are out there. Find one that fits the bill for you, buy it, enjoy it, take care of it, bask in its glorious sensory driving experience, and don't worry about what it might be worth at any given moment.

550nitis likes this.
  10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    No idea why they're not selling. Few are selling in Europe. Cheap ones or expensive ones, they move slowly. I honestly don't get it as they're a fantastic modern classic. V12, manual gearbox (flappy paddle if one wishes that in the 575 for the same money), decent speed even compared to modern cars (newer tech tyres and newer tech brake pads also help in that department) and easy to maintain.

Their loss.

Texas Forever and NE550 like this.
  11. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    McArthur Cswy is quite nice! I also like to take the small bridge from Marriot into Venetian Cswy. Miami in early morning is really beautiful. But during the traffic jams.... not as fun. I have an old XK8 convertible for the US and I like it pretty much actually. I don’t want a manual in that kind of traffic. This summer I spent three houres in jam from Monaco to Nice with the Maranello. I really hated it!! Made the same wear on the clutch as half a year of normal driving.

RKZ841 and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  12. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Yes the cheap to maintain I can't stress enough is so nice with the 575 maranello. Compared to other exotics I've had: Murcielago and SLR, the 575 is cheaper. I've had hiccups but they're much cheaper to fix than the other 2 cars I've had. You always have people who think ferraris cost small fortunes to maintain and im sure the 355 really does cost a ton to keep going, but the 575 has been very inexpensive in relation to what I thought a V12 Ferrari would cost to maintain.

Bas likes this.
  13. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    next time you come dm me!

Bas and F456M like this.
  14. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The Maranello and also the 456 is quite fast if we are talking top speed. Every single Maranello will do 200 mph. on the speedometer. 456s quite close. Accelleration is no way near as fast as the new cars. But who really cares? They are fast enough. When you can’t go faster than 80-90 mph. in America where there are cops everywhere, the ride and experience and style is more important than the performance in my opinion. Rolls Royces are actually quite well suited. Next year, I want to explore the more «Norwegian-like» nature areas of the States, or something out of the ordinary. Maybe I ship the 550 over...

15. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Unfortunately, it seems to get worse all the time...at least in the capital of draconian vehicle laws in which I reside, otherwise known as Virginia. The upside is, of course, what you mention. I have very little interest in new cars anymore, and I lost my magazine racing fascination years ago. I learned to appreciate the veritable universe of subtleties contained in each of my favorite cars no matter how rapidly or otherwise they are traveling. Considering some of the things I used to do, there is the added benefit that finding those other things to appreciate in cars has likely contributed to the continuation of my upright, oxygen consuming state :)

masinari, root, Texas Forever and 2 others like this.
  16. docapl

docapl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Maranello’s are fast enough, visceral, and analog. I have had 3 McLaren’s yet I have been searching for the right 550 Maranello for quite some time. There is something really special about these cars which may be lost on someone who just wants the latest tech supercar. If you get it; you get it. If not:you don’t. What’s wrong with 2-3 more seconds to enjoy a blast to 100 mph anyway?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

root and F456M like this.
  17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Bulletproof springs to mind. As good as.

18. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Easy, buyers like myself are waiting out the market on all the $100k to $200k exotics (have no idea what happens above that because a $250k car is just as unobtanium as a $1M car to me), convinced it hasn't hit bottom yet.

Texas Forever, F11 and Bas like this.
  19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Seems correction is happening at the moment. I'm looking to buy and use and keep in the coming months, don't really care if market tanks to zero after I buy to be honest.

F456M, Chupacabra and Texas Forever like this.
  20. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    We are near the end of an economic cycle. Lots of people waiting for the next recession, even if it's a modest one.

Remember how 550's were a challenge to sell at $70K in 2010? Well in the next downturn they may not get AS cheap but I think they'll be at $100K ish for nice one's.

Just IMO of course.....

Texas Forever likes this.
  21. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Would be more profitable to short the market if one is expecting an economic downturn. You can then buy what you like and be farther ahead when you cover than just waiting for prices to fall due to a mild downturn.

22. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Request for the group: please post a link to the best 550 that you can find for sale publicly.

23. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    from a deal standpoint, this one $88k for a 550 with 37k miles, even if it needs work if you can get it for a few k less, these cars aren't that bad to maintain, figure worst case $15k, you're still in sub $100k if you get it for $80-84k

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Ferrari-550-d439#listing=202087868

I dont think mileage matters much man 37k miles is high for a ferrari but that car is 21 years old, thats pretty inline with 1500 miles a year so it was actually used, o no the horror.

bergxu likes this.
  24. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA

Problem is there could have been an accident, it was sold one month later...strange, nice price though
    They have two cars listed, similar mileage one for $130K (clean carfax) and the other for $90K (questionable carfax) https://www.smithvolvo.com/all-inventory/index.htm?search=ferrari&dl.custom.form.id=&dl.element=BUTTON+Search&dl.formElapsedTime=3269&dl.formTrackingId=INVENTORY_SEARCH&dl.isModal=&dl.params=&dl.widgetName=

08/19/2003 California
    Damage Report Structural inspection performed
    after an accident or other incident
    Structural damage reported
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    [​IMG]
    • Structural damage may impact vehicle safety and reliability. Get the unibody or frame of the vehicle inspected by a professional.

F355 Fan 82 likes this.