Footage of Alonso's Indycar test at Barber Motorsports park | FerrariChat

Footage of Alonso's Indycar test at Barber Motorsports park

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by TeamF1Jr, Sep 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003

Supposedly he put up a time quicker than the pole speed earlier this year.

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Nice. According to his article Dallara didn't have a presence at the test and that McLaren tried to keep it as private is possible. Is McLaren going to run a team in IndyCar next year with Alonso as the driver? If not, what team/crew was doing this test? https://www.autosport.com/indycar/news/138538/alonso-completes-his-andretti-indycar-test

He was at Barber last year prior to driving in the Indy 500. I lived in Bham then and never thought in a million years an active F1 driver and multi-champion would fly to Birmingham, Alabama of all places. And now he's done it twice lol. It's an amazing facility and everyone should go at least once even if it's just to see the incredible museum. It's the Augusta of racetracks for sure here in the US.

Edit: Seems McLaren will decide this month. I still wonder what car and crew that test stuff came from. It only said Munoz drove it earlier this year at the 500. https://www.autosport.com/indycar/news/138463/mclaren-sets-deadline-for-2019-indycar-decision

dmundy likes this.
  3. stibbett

stibbett Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Simon Tibbett
    Kimi came out to a local tiny circle track in Jefferson, GA a few years back when he was toying with stock cars. lol That was weird.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  4. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    For Alonso, there was a lot of smiling during that interview. Given that he is an old school driver, you'd have to think the more analog like nature of an Indycar would check a lot of boxes for him.

I really hope to see him in Indy next season. I have no idea how that will work with the WEC season but I'm hoping it does.

5. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    We don’t miss the Indycar race at Barber. Look forward to it each year. It is indeed an amazing venue and will completely spoil you for spectating at other tracks. REALLY hoping this Alonso to Indycar thing happens, hopefully with a full “McLaren” team.

As to who his track support was, I know Andretti was running the test, I also noticed RHR’s pit box in some of the footage, so maybe it was his usual race crew?

Bundy and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  6. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I haven’t seen any references to his times from the test...is this some insider info?

7. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    That’s such a phenomenal track to drive. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but I love it.

The Kook Abides likes this.
  8. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Here's the article that references Alonso's laptime. Obviously conditions weren't exactly the same from the April 2018 race weekend , but with the rain from the test perhaps it was even more humid for Alonso, nevertheless, on time alone, Alonso would have been on pole.

https://racer.com/2018/09/05/alonso-pleased-with-indycar-barber-test/

9. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Excellent article. I hadn’t seen that one yet, thanks!

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    What's going on here: Alonso is trolling for sponsorship money.

No money, no racing in Indy next year. That's why he has said it will take months for him "to decide".

stever likes this.
  11. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    And....you have an objection to this?

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Not at all. Just cutting through the BS about Alonso and this test. It's not a "test". Its a step to trying to get the money for racing.

13. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    Barber is a really cool track. He looked like he liked it too!