Ferrari watches thread : From vintage chronographs to partnership with manufacturers | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Ferrari watches thread : From vintage chronographs to partnership with manufacturers

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by modena1967, Jun 19, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    Bernie. I wish I had responded to Philippe's post before you had. However, you have hit the nail on the head. I do not like the avant garde but I do like what I like and I think we share the same tastes.

This next bit may seem off topic but it will come back!

One of my favorite periods in F1 is the 1.5 litre formula from 1961 to 1965. These machines are exquisite: beautifully made, fragile, light but fast. I have always thought that comparing these cars to the 3 litre cars that came afterwards is like comparing a race horse to a cart horse, or a watch to an oil rig. The most important thing is that they are all great at what they have to do. From an engineering point of view I can appreciate both a watch and an oil rig even though they are so different. I am not going to be buying any oil rigs in the near future but any watches I buy must be to my taste. I buy a watch to wear and to enjoy and to tell me the time. I wear my Ferrari branded watch nearly every day. It does not look like a Casio (I think) and when the strap breaks or the battery runs out I will buy another one. One that I like. I have a Breitling (only a cheap one) that I have worn too much and is now tatty but that I still love. The most important thing to me is that I like it. I guess I see the watch I first commented on in the same way that I would view a concept car at a motor show: amazing but not for me in its current form. Not good, not bad, just not for me.

I know a similar photograph has been posted before but these are more to my taste (taken by me at the Design Museum in January of this year):

Image Unavailable, Please Login

modena1967 and bernardo66 like this.
  2. modena1967

modena1967 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2012
    France
    Full Name:
    Philippe Guennou
    Lemania gold plated Ferrari chronograph on sale on ebay :
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEMANIA-FERRARI-CRONOGRAFO-MECCANICO-MANUALE-VINTAGE-1802/261127179300?hash=item3ccc648c24:g:yBIAAOSwsB9V-Yx9

The seller, located in the suburbs of Modena also owns a few items of furniture that belonged to Dino and Enzo Ferrari.

Dial is slightly damaged at 6 o'clock, a common flaw on 60's chronographs not manufactured with waterproof case.
    If really interested, first ask the seller about the provenance of his watch.
    (Enzo purchased personalized watches almost exclusively from Bologna jeweler Veronesi.)

3. modena1967

Oct 7, 2012
    France
    Full Name:
    Philippe Guennou
  4. Stentboy

Stentboy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 8, 2008
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ron
    This piece reminds me a bit of my Devon.

5. modena1967

Oct 7, 2012
    France
    Full Name:
    Philippe Guennou
    Eberhard&Co will participate in the next edition of Couture Time Las Vegas, the exhibition hosting the most important luxury watch brands and America's top
    retail community, in an exclusive and luxurious setting.
    On this occasion the visitors will have the possibility the Eberhard&Co novelties and to admire a selection of its iconic collections.
    (Booth ct304, May 31 to June 4,2018, Wynn Las Vegas.)

6. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Interesting. Shouldn't the Guarantee be stamped with the watch dealers stamp, not a previously unknown (to me, at least) Scuderia Ferrari stamp?
    Nathan

7. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    For those interested. I don't know much about watches and I can't tell you a lot about these watches as they are in storage. From left to right, or bottom to top, they are;
    maker unknown
    Breitling
    Lemania
    maker unknown
    maker unknown
    Vetta
    They are all mechanical.
    Nathan

8. irule

irule Rookie

Nov 25, 2012
    Europe
  9. modena1967

Oct 7, 2012
    France
    Full Name:
    Philippe Guennou
  10. modena1967

Oct 7, 2012
    France
    Full Name:
    Philippe Guennou
    Eugenio Castellotti's Jeager chronograph.

This 18kt gold Jeager chronograph #485084, powered by a UG285 caliber was presented by Enzo Ferrari
    on 25th december 1956 to1956 Mille Miglia winner Eugenio Castellotti.
    Unfortunately Eugenio (10october 1930-14 march 1957) killed himself some months ago trying to keep the Modena
    Aero Autodromo track record for Ferrari...

Mille Miglia 1956.

UG 285 caliber.

Aero Autodromo fatal crash.
    His grave in Lodi, Lombardia, Italy.

franmort, Ferrari27 and bernardo66 like this.
  11. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    #286 trashidelek!, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    Interesting, and a good case study for why I have learned to stay away from these "historic" watches. Please take a look at the attached photos and you will quickly notice that Morry at Collector Studio is offering a very different watch which was also, ostensibly, a Christmas gift to Castellotti from Ferrari in 1956. Was Ferrari so impressed with Castellotti that he gave him two watches that year? I doubt it. Instead, I rather suspect that there are people out there with otherwise unremarkable old watches and pantograph engravers making a few "collectables". It is too bad that it is nearly impossible to tell if the inscription on the back of a watch was engraved 60 years ago or two weeks ago...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Lusso123 and modena1967 like this.
  12. modena1967

Oct 7, 2012
    France
    Full Name:
    Philippe Guennou
    Waiting for the reply of the Jeager chrono owner.

13. modena1967

Oct 7, 2012
    France
    Full Name:
    Philippe Guennou
    Got the reply of the so called "Castellotti" Jeager chronograph today. All i have to say is "stay away from this watch"...

14. trashidelek!

Nov 18, 2004
    And, in my opinion, from any other where the value lies primarily in an inscription, unless there is some sort of documentation (a period photo, a statement from the original recipient including identifying elements exclusive to the watch, etc.) attached to it...

Lusso123 likes this.
  15. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    +1

16. modena1967

Oct 7, 2012
    France
    Full Name:
    Philippe Guennou
    TIME IS LEGEND WITH EBERHARD & CO.

“Nuvolari Legend”, at its official debut on the occasion of the 2018 Nuvolari Grand Prix !

Mantova, 14 –16 September 2018.

For almost 30 years, the Swiss watchmaker Eberhard & Co. has enjoyed close links with one of the greatest drivers in the world of motorsports, Tazio Nuvolari,and the famous race dedicated to him, the Nuvolari Grand Prix. Each year, the race brings together over 300 vintage cars and enthusiasts from all over the globe. According to the story, Tazio Nuvolari owned an Eberhard & Co. watch, of which only the original casing was ever found, with the trademark and reproduction of the Maison's historic building. This precious object is now part of the collection of memorabilia associated with him. It is held at the Tazio Nuvolari Museum in Mantua, along with a 1930s mechanical pocket watch with alarm function, identical to the one that belonged to Nuvolari, which the Maison has donated to honour his memory. The strong ties that Eberhard & Co. have with the fascinating world of speed and historical re-enactments began in 1991, when the brand became inextricably linked to Nuvolari by developing a collection dedicated to him and took on the role of Chronometer and Official Partner of the Nuvolari Grand Prix. For the past 28 years, with its unmistakable style and elegance, the Maison has been continuously enriching every precious moment experienced by the competitors of this extraordinary event.

The history of Eberhard is marked by values and creations which, since its foundation in La Chaux-de-Fonds in 1887, have built the DNA of the brand whose name has become synonymous with tradition, tireless research and innovation. Over 130 years of passion, uninterrupted history and timeless watches with individuality, Eberhard & Co. has always made these values a unique benchmark for the creation of models that are continually evolving, yet manage to inherit the wealth of its famous history. The “Tazio Nuvolari” collection, which has concentrated on sports watches, has been enriched with many versions over the years, some of which have been inspired by the champion’s great victories and enterprises. Among the most popular models are: Tazio Nuvolari "Vanderbilt Cup", "Grand Prix", "Gold Car Collection", "Rattrapante”, "Data", "336", "Naked". The collection was conceived and created according to a design philosophy inspired by the instrumentation of vintage racing cars: The driving seat of the extraordinary cars in which the "Mantovano Volante" conquered so many victories was, for the Eberhard technicians, a concrete source of functional and aesthetic specifications and solutions. The most recent innovation, to be presented to all competitors at the opening cocktail organised by Eberhard each year at the Piccinini jewellers in Mantova and exhibited at the Eberhard Space in the Piazza Sordello during the days of the event, is the: “Nuvolari Legend”, a retro-inspired, automatic timepiece featuring a new black dial with central spiral tachometric scale in Km/hr and suede leather strap that gives the watch a very special, vintage look. The transparent sapphire crystal casing with "damier" work, tightened by 8 screws, enables you to admire the movement and is personalised with the model name and the historic, stylised Alfa Romeo Type 12C, the vehicle in which the great Tazio won many victories. Available in two sizes: 39.5 mm (ref. 31137) or 43 mm (ref.31138), with strap or steel “Charm” bracelet.

Image Unavailable, Please Login bracelet.

17. Protemporum373872

Nov 11, 2015
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Hello,
    thankyou for this fabulous forum thread. Have learnt more about Ferrari themed watches reading this forum than six weeks of searching the web! This is my GP 8020.
    Is it possible there is a serial number cross reference somewhere on the "web" so i can figure out the date of my watch? 1990's is the closest Girard-Perregaux would admit to!
    Yours, Roger.

Attached Files:

• 109.JPG
      109.JPG
      File size:
      71.1 KB
      Views:
  18. Protemporum373872

Nov 11, 2015
    Oopps, sorry i managed to send picture twice!

19. modena1967

Oct 7, 2012
    France
    Full Name:
    Philippe Guennou
    @ROGER, Thanks for your kind words about this thread.

You can request an extract from the Archives with production date for your 8020 from Girard-Perregaux hq in La Chaud-de-Fonds, Swiss.
    ([email protected])

20. Protemporum373872

Nov 11, 2015
    Thanks, i will do that.

21. trashidelek!

Nov 18, 2004
    Sometimes the flood of fake engraved "Ferrari related" watches out there lately are pretty funny. Have a look at this "Albeto Ascari" watch...

22. modena1967

Oct 7, 2012
    France
    Full Name:
    Philippe Guennou
    #297 modena1967, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  23. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  24. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Thanks. I have looked all over the Internet and the prices are all over the place. I have a few more GP Ferrari watches and a few TAG Mclaren watches that I just want to blow out in the classifieds. I haven't worn a watch in a decade and they are all just sitting in my safe. I also have a Patek 5085 that needs a new owner that will wear it.