Need advice for first Ferrari: 599 for sale in Charleston | FerrariChat

Need advice for first Ferrari: 599 for sale in Charleston

Discussion in '612/599' started by Aclmin, Sep 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aclmin

Aclmin Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    Hi All, I’m looking at my first fun car and I have shortened the list down to a 599 or an SLS.

I really like the 599 in Giallo Modena and there is on listed on eBay in Charleston:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/2008-Ferrari-599-Fiorano-Coupe-2-Door-/183417879912

I have spoken to the seller and this car seems to fit the bill nicely. Clutch replaced, good maintenance history, part of a collection etc.

This forum has provided some great resource already, I’m getting up to speed with the shock issues and other general maintenance maladies.

Does any in Charleston have a recommendation for a PPI, or even perhaps know the car? Is there any expericned with 599s in the area that could possibly provide some feedback?

Does this appear to be a decent car?

I’m feeling a little like a deer in the headlights and need some help figuring out how to proceed from here.

2. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I purchased a 599 about 3 weeks ago. I just love it! I bought mine certified from the dealership, but still recommend a PPI. Sorry I can’t help you there but a few items I have been addressing since my purchase:

1) Repairing leather on dash and rear shelf
    2) Leather headliner is starting to come loose
    3) Replacing sticky parts. I have that on my F430 so not a big deal.
    4) Replaced hood and trunk struts

These are all minor items. Also just back from cars and coffee where there were five 599s. All the owners were very positive about there experiences.

crinoid likes this.
  3. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    My former 599 is at Motorcars of Atlanta. It is an HGTE car. I traded it for a Mac. Local Atlanta car will all service done at FOA. It is a very nice car with no issues. I have no financial gain from it’s sale. Feel free to contact me for history of the car . PM and I will be glad to call you if you wish.

4. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Grey with red stripe?

5. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
  6. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    Car looks fine in the photos but I question why a new clutch was needed. I have more mileage on mine at 23,000 miles which is also a 2008 model which I do track and my clutch wear is at 37% worn. I have had no issues. I do service after each track event and annually. Coming from a collection for me is not a positive. To me it means that the car has not been driven so there will be potential issues. All Ferraris need to be driven otherwise seals start leaking, F1 pump leaks etc. Sticky buttons are part of Ferrari ownership as is leather shrinkage. So far I just have the sticky buttons mainly the reverse, auto button and headlight switch. Check the age of the tyres because if they are old you will not have enough rear grip and the ride will be crap. New tyres, go for Michelin will improve traction and ride. I currently have Corsas because Michelins were not available and I am happy with them , they are much better than the P Zeros. 599 is awesome for the money and these cars do handle (especially if HGTE equipped) if you know how to handle them.

7. Aclmin

Aclmin Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    Thanks for feed back, and congratulations on the new purchase! While I would love certified, these cars seem out of my price range, I would prefer the $150k region. What sort of money (ballpark) will all those fixes run?

Lovely car - lovely color combination. HGTE pack was a dealer upgrade? (no HTGE embroidery on the seats? Still catching up on 599s....). Was the red stripe factory?

After talking to the seller he indicated the clutch was not that worn (can't remember the %) but there was some hesitation or delayed engagement (don't recall exactly how he described it) so he had it replaced. I guess I assumed a new clutch was a positive - should I be looking deeper into why it was changed - ie another underlying issue, or driving style?

Car has new tires, not MPSS though. This car has no sticky buttons or shrinking leather, probably because it was stored in an A/C'd humidity controlled garage. Regarding being part of a collection - the car has 16k miles, so it has been driven more than most currently listed for sale.

Is a PPI likely to give a good indication of shock wear, or is it a case of the shocks are fine until they aren't?

Thanks for the help.

8. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Aclmin, the clutch on my 599 was replaced at 15k miles by the dealer, I have 15.5k miles now. I looked at the service records and saw that the car had an issue with the F1 going into "N" after selecting a gear. Speaking with the several 599 owners yesterday, it seems that several have had to replace their clutches around the 14-16k miles range. I don't ever drive in "auto" mode, but I suspect that could be some of the problems.

9. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    Replacing the clutch at 14 to 16k miles seems quite low mileage to me. The clutch lasts much longer than this. Maybe the PIS was not set right or could be F1 pump related. Slipping into N is clutch related. I would say driving style has a lot to do with it. As Taz has repeatedly pointed out, the F1 system is to be treated like a normal manual when driving.

The PPI will reveal leaking shocks if they are in fact leaking or have started to weep. If there is no evidence of an oil weep then the report will be clear. There is no sign of when the shocks will start to leak you just wait for it to happen. Just as you wait for the sticky buttons.

10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    As I was reading it occurred to me that the clutch may have been replaced for reasons other than wear. Maybe a bad or leaking throwout bearing, seal, etc. We tend to jump to a bad conclusion with insufficient data. Not blaming, I do the same thing just an observation.

11. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    Skidkid valid point but a leaking bearing or seal would not require the clutch to be replaced unless there was serious signs of wear that made it economical to replace since everything was already out would just involve the cost of the clutch as there would be no significant additional labour cost.

12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Incorrect. A leaking seal gets oil on the clutch and it HAS to be replaced.

13. Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil Karting

Jan 2, 2016
    Lucerne, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Marc Brunner
    Hi, i've got both in my garage - sls and 599 HGTE. Whenever I think about using one of them, I go with the sls. More dramatic, more history, more fascinating sound. I like them both - but would rather go for sls if I were you. Regards from Switzerland, Marc

Sent from my HTC U11 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    I understand that, what I meant was that if there was no oil on the clutch itself.

15. meandmyredcorvette

meandmyredcorvette Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I have been searching for a yellow 599 for the last 2 years ever since I saw one in person at Scottsdale Ferrari a few years back. I put a deposit on that car as I had a car going through Barrett Jackson and was anticipating a bigger number than the car sold for. I had to pass on the car and get my deposit back and I was so sad since I went nuts over the car. Funny thing is that David Spade was there looking to buy a 599 at the same time. I didn't realize just how rare yellow was in a 599 until I started my search. I saw this car advertised on Ebay several weeks ago and was going back and forth between a 550, 458, or this 599. Finally decided to pull the trigger and not let this one get away and have to wait another 2 years to find a yellow one. Hope Aclmin finds the right car. He has the right cars in his sight. Either a 599 or SLS would be a great addition to any collection.

16. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    So you grabbed it. I saw that car and considered it but went with red. Good catch.

17. meandmyredcorvette

Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I have a red 512 bbi and love it. I just have this thing for yellow cars. Had a 2001 Lambo Diablo in fly yellow and sold it and still kicking myself for doing so. Yellow just screams when you see it driving down the road.

18. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Wife wanted yellow but the red I got was just too nice, a lot of options. I will add a yellow again one day but not sure what yet.

19. meandmyredcorvette

Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Car just showed up today and she is a real beauty! The tan interior with yellow piping is an amazing color combination. I can't imagine that there were many yellows produced with this interior color combination. Might be only a couple if not the only yellow with tan and yellow piping.

20. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Please share some photos when you get a chance. Congrats!