308 timing belts | FerrariChat

308 timing belts

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mark Young, Sep 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mark Young

Mark Young Rookie

Sep 5, 2018
    lawrencetown NSCanada
    Full Name:
    Mark Young
    hi folks,

I'm fairly new to Ferrari chat. I am about ready to start a few minor maintenance procedures to my 82 308 this winter and one of them is a timing belt change. The question I have is that I heard that Dayco makes a replacement belt. Unfortunately I'm having a little trouble finding a part number. I will admit I'm not the smartest cat in the alley when it comes to surfing the net or their web site when it comes to finding the number.
    However i do know my way around tool box,( 30 years aircraft mechanic).
    So if anyone out there knows the part number from Dayco for 82 308 Ferrari ( 2 valve) timing belt I would appreciated before I put my fist through this marvel of modern progress we call a computer. Just kidding, the wife would kill if the computer ended up on the front lawn.

Thanks
    Mark

JG333SP likes this.
  2. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

3. AUDIO RESEARCH

AUDIO RESEARCH Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2009
    PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    LUIGI RAYMUND LIRA
    When you replace the timing belt , please replace the timing belt bearing tensioner as well . I installed an after market tensioner made by Hill Engineering .

4. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Might as well do the water pump "while you're in there" too if you don't know the last time it was done. :)

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

6. Mark Young

Mark Young Rookie

Sep 5, 2018
    lawrencetown NSCanada
    Full Name:
    Mark Young
    Thanks guys, Good advice.

Mark

7. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Birdman Ferrari also has a very good lesson on belt installation. It is actually a pretty simple process. Making sure the belts go on exactly as removed is extremely important as is belt tension.

8. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    Talk with Daniel and ask if he has a reseal kit including valve cover gaskets cam seals. As long as you got the front opened up, its easy to replace the seals and idlers. This is an easy engine to work on. I used a new hi output water pump from Forza in Bellingham Wa. I would ask Daniel if he has a similar pump.

Just a word of experience, its less expensive to replace all the consumable parts once you are "in there", than to have a failure shortly after you button everything up and have go back inside.

just suggestin'

tr0768

9. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Good time to replace the ac compressor too. The seal likely leaks by now if it has not been replaced.

tomberlin likes this.