CA making me go to a Smog referee.. | FerrariChat

CA making me go to a Smog referee..

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Zcobra1, Jul 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    #1 Zcobra1, Jul 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Here is the background, a few months ago I go to get smogged for registration renewal, no codes and year 2000 F1 360 running fine. My mistake was not checking that all monitors where set, as when I got her smogged the secondary air monitor had not yet set ......so it failed smog. This was due to me clearing a small evap leak code after I fixed that by replacing the gaskets for the roll over valves.

So the smog guy says drive it around a good half hour or so, and I knew this myself, unfortunately I immediately had problems shifting (a separate problem) and could not get back to the smog station. So fast forward, a few months now I fixed the shifting issue, all is well and take the car to get smogged, and all is well except it does not pass smog due to the air pump issue a few months back.....so now I have to make a appointment at a smog referee station...

Anyone else vet go through this ? Apparently this was triggered due to not going back within 60 days to be retested....gotta love the smog nazi's here.
    Look I am all for having clean cars that meet emissions, but this is ludicrous.
    Car is perfect, passed smog, no codes, all monitors set, and I paid for the non operation to keep all legal while I resolved separate shifting issue. Crazy stuff...

Lesson to all in this State, check for codes and MONITORS with your code checker before u get smogged in CA.

2. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    I get the clean air had they not enforced this years ago we would be in big trouble now...however in your case your emissions are most likely clean as a whistle...
    They are squeezing the older vehicles off the road...What should count is the actual emissions out of the tail pipe..in some cases the monitor or readiness flags can be quite difficult to check off....would be very helpful if there was factory perspective on how the monitors were designed to perform self check////
    In some cases its two drive cycles from cold start then a certain driving behavior...
    Good luck with your vehicle...!
    JMTC-Ca is not the state it once was there are many reasons why so many are leaving..!
    K//

turbolou likes this.
  3. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    As a car guy I hate the smog Gustapo as much as anyone.

But.

Having spend my summers in LA in the 80s, and living there in the 90s, I can tell you that the difference in air quality is tremendous. Hell, you can watch movies from the 80s and see how much nastier it was.

4. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Well after some research it may have nothing to do with the past monitor not setting....after calling for a referee appointment that is in early August, a month away......( that will take about 3 hours of my time) and researching the actual issue, "data check fail" it may be a operator error at the smog place or some unicorn glitch.......
    It means the obd system data is inappropriate for vehicle tested. Apparently this comes up when smog operators run a "clean" car for a dirty car.....or operator used wrong software and hand entered vin.

I checked everything and all data looks correct, but found out if operator hand enters vin, and that can only be done on pre 99 cars, he used the wrong software, 2000 and above cars apparently can only have vin entered by reader....

I will be dropping the smog station to pick their brain.

5. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    I have no problem with the smog controls/systems at all.....I am all for it. I have no problem doing a drive cycle to reset monitors, only evap is allowed not set, I am good with that. 99% of cars when running correctly, pass smog easily.
    I have a problem when a glitch like mine shows up, the car passes smog easily the second time, and I get to go through a big hassle to get my car registered.

6. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Are you sure it passed smog the second time? Did you receive the usual print-out that states it passed? Maybe you misunderstood the technician, and unless you leave with the print-out in hand that states it passed, it could have had some other issue - it could have failed visual. Does it have stock headers and cats?
    Anyway, really annoying - hope you get it sorted without too much grief!

7. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Yes, passed all visual, car is stock except a Tubi, no codes, all monitors set, including evap....
    Checked by myself before I went, and before test by smog tech. The smog tech really could not explain what the exact issue is for a fail, just stated the obvious, what the print out says, "Data check fail"...that I had to have a referee check out the car, now the only one that can issue a smog cert.
    when I went on the Cal DMV site I looked up my smog check records and for this smog check it states Referee ? "no", yet requires me to have my car pawed by some yokels for up to an hour. Lovely.

Also, the appointment lady was surprised that I had to see a referee, she asked where I got my citation, told her no citation, she said "you did not get a citation ?, again I said no it states data check fail, she was silent and proceeded to book appointment. BTW, these referee places are at Comm Colleges auto shops, and the nearest to me in a decent area is 30 miles away, and first appointment a month away....

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Keep the political comments (edited from the title) in P&R please.

D

9. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    The smog station should check all reediness monitors with a scanner BEFORE the test.
    Ferraris just dont seem to show up all the time in the list of car especially pre 2000. Once entered the car is good to go for all smogs after that. I get this all the time on out of state pre 2000 ferraris

All the smog guy has to do is call his "help" line to get the OK

Yes smog guy error

10. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Another vote for wholesale dealer plates. problem solved.
    1) No tax
    2) No smog
    3) No front plate

Just to name a few

11. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    We both did, all monitors set, no codes. I did, and the smog guy did, this last smog... Time before no, did not check, air pump not ready. Car has been smogged twice before in Cali., no issues....
    Will be curious to see what the referee says as to why I am there...

12. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

WOW yes love to here the reason, sounds like a data link error
    Keep us up2date :)

I also bring the last smog the car had with me to the station so it has the refrence number, that always seems to work also

Newport likes this.
  13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Heavy sigh. I miss the days when all you had to do was leave a six pack on the passenger seat.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

anunakki and SoCal1 like this.
  14. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    #14 Zcobra1, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    So a update is in order on the ordeal. Smog referee was a surly ******, could not tell me why I was there. Car passed with flying colors, even the evap monitor was in ready state. All visual good of course. Again, asked this gem of a man what exactly is a data link fail ? Had no idea, just said "don't know".

I did some research on the Smog station and lo and behold they had just been fined $1000 a month before I was there, not providing proper paper work to customer and some other infraction. In my research it appears the error may have been if the operator sets up a smog check for a 97-99 car, but car is 2000 and above....really could not find much on that but that is likely what happened.

SoCal1 likes this.
  15. FerrariFab

FerrariFab Karting

Jan 14, 2010
    Inland Empire
    Full Name:
    CFI Designs
    costs around 300 for a smog that is guaranteed to pass. hassle free

Bigwavedave and Zcobra1 like this.
  16. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    PM'd...

17. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    If you need a guaranteed smog I have the plug for that. For reg renewal smogs it is usually around 250-300.

18. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Why do you post this, and then do not answer 3 PM's, with me guaranteeing you confidentiality on where this can be done ?
    You have been on the site numerous times in the past few days, so you saw my PM's.

19. robertpel9

robertpel9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Unfortunately i cant send any more people to my guy or i'd help you but if you fish around car forums and instagram you will find a ton of places that will pass you for around 200-250, you dont even have to take the car there just send them the info they need to put in the computer and its done.

20. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    Probably because he may not have a plug for it, or because he doesn't know who you are so he is worried about helping you. Most smoggers are hesitant about doing this for people they do not know or if they are unable to vouch for you. The state has been known to do a lot of sting operations and shutting down smoggers.

21. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Except when you post in a thread where a member is having trouble with smog, you are local to me and imply you know how to get this done, and then DO NOT have the courtesy to send a simple response stating you can not help, in my book that is ****** move and not someone I ever want to have a beer with.

That said, my issue is not with the F-car, it passed with flying colors. My 2013 Corvette Z06 will not set "ready" on the fuel system monitor in the OB2 part. New battery, new fuel cap, fresh fuel, fuel between 1/3-3/4, drove the specific GM drive cycle at least 7-8 times, all other monitors set pretty quick, just will not show a ready for fuel system or evap. I only need fuel to set as u can pass with evap not set in CA. No codes, no pending, stored, anything that shows there is something wrong. Car is stock except cat back and that should not affect anything. I seem to have the worst of luck in "glitches", as this problem does not seem to be common after so many cold start drive cycles, researched for hours on Vette forum and general. Smog shop just says to drive it some more.....

Finding someone to help is the hard part, like it is said people are weary if they do not know you, or "vouch" for you, so looking for help on this issue on sites where I am not known, makes it almost impossible. I figured with my record of being on here since 2012, and anyone can research my posts, I would have the best of luck here as I post here the most. I also posted on the local Vette site. My next step is to take it to a Corvette shop that is 1.25 hours away, have complete diagnostics done, and if nothing is found afoul that is causing this, I am back where I started as they will not set the monitors to "ready".
    Apparently you can set all monitors to read ready with a HP tuner kit, however according to this very reputable and highly regarded shop owner, when you get smogged Cali can tell you have have done this and you are failed for tampering with the car, and sent to a referee.....lot's of trouble.

22. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    Understand your frustrations. I got your PMs and responded. Hopefully I can help you get this taken care of.

23. AD170

AD170 Karting

Jul 18, 2014
    Do not go to a Smog shop that bends the rules on getting your vehicle smogged. Eventually they will get caught by the aggressive CARB and you will receive a 20K fine and have your vehicle confiscated (remember you smog by VIN number). A 2012 Domestic vehicle should easily pass smog. The Fuel System Monitor just looks at Fuel Trims to evaluate and complete the Monitor. Is your vehicle staying in Open Loop? Have you modified/tuned your vehicle? You say Cat back, has the position of the rear 02 sensor changed? The CARB is starting to look at the Engine Calibration number in your PCM to see if you have tuned your vehicle. If it has been changed you fail Smog. I suggest getting a Scan Tool that will display Generic Live Data (fairly cheap) to read your Fuel Trims and Open/Closed Loop status.

INRange likes this.
  24. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017

Have you gotten a 20k fine before?

25. AD170

AD170 Karting

Jul 18, 2014
    I'm in the business, not in the Smog Recert aspect. I do know people in the Smog business who work with CARB. CARB will send out a team to your house armed with mirrors on sticks to look under your vehicle, if they receive a noise complaint, to inspect your exhaust system. Yes, it is a 20k fine and possible confiscation. At the least, they will have you restore to OEM (on your own dime) the vehicle to pass smog.