1975 308 GT4 Electrical Issue-Hurricane Edition | FerrariChat

1975 308 GT4 Electrical Issue-Hurricane Edition

Discussion in '308/328' started by UrbanAdventureCo, Sep 11, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UrbanAdventureCo

Sep 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Paul Sisson
    I'm new to this forum/website, so apologies in advance for any errors in the way I'm posting.

I have a 1975 308 GT4, that I am anxiously trying to get out of storage ahead of the hurricane on the east coast. It has been in storage over a year, battery seemed to be dead. In trying to get it started, we replaced the battery, but the car has no sign of power on at all. I'm concerned that in replacing it, the polarity may have been reversed, and I'm concerned about damage, but hoping that a main fuse was just blown. Anyone have experience with this issue who could point me to where the fuse might be, or another diagnosis would be great. Thanks, Paul

2. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    I’m sorry I’m not qualified to suggest a mechanical solution.

I assume you have a contingency plan in case it won’t start. Safety first, but I’m thinking a second vehicle, second driver and tow rope. At least as far as a multilevel concrete parking building to get above the surge. Wrap tightly using a rope and tarp then head for the hills.

I wish you the very best of luck and safety.

3. UrbanAdventureCo

Sep 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Paul Sisson

Yes, thanks. Car is in Maryland, so not in direct path, but may be in an area of flooding.

4. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Does it have an immobiliser fitted that could be causing the issue?
    Is it completely dead, or is it cranking over?

Paul

5. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    I think even if you had reversed the battery polarity and damaged some components, the starter motor would still function. So if the engine doesn't turn on the key, I think it's likely to be something else (like a bad connection).

6. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    By the sounds of things you don’t have much hands-on experience with the mechanical/electrical systems so can you not just call a tow truck service and get a flat bed over to move it?

thorn likes this.