"Ford vs. Ferrari" – Will Hollywood Do it Right This Time? | FerrariChat

"Ford vs. Ferrari" – Will Hollywood Do it Right This Time?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Aug 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Interesting article about the upcoming movie about the rise of Carroll Shelby and the
    "Ford vs. Ferrari” (working title) rivalry starring Matt Damon.

Like most racing movies though, it remains to be seen how Hollywood treats the subject
    matter. Of course, Ferrari will be portrayed as the villains playing the political game in
    the whole deal.

If it’s honest, then they almost have to go into what Ford and Shelby were doing
    behind the scenes to develop the GT40s.

This basically included use of sub-standard materials which would give way under heavy
    stress in testing and then implemented in racing, the unlimited budget that Ford was sinking
    into the project without any sort of accounting oversight or control, the complete lack of record
    keeping and taking cars cutting them in half and welding on whole new rear ends and a lot of
    other things which by today’s standards are completely insane, essentially spit-balling ideas
    and seeing if they'd work in real world conditions, etc.

Article by Wallace Wyss for Anamera.

http://www.finecars.cc/en/editorial/general-automotive-news-article/news/ford-vs-ferrari-will-hollywood-do-it-right-this-time/index.html?

BHW

Igor Ound and Jakuzzi like this.
  2. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    I hope they go into those details, to show how being cavalier and persistent pays off.

Interesting times indeed.

3. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Doubtful. Everything Hollywood does today is in poor taste. Those that know the story know what it took. Whether a fan of Ford or Ferrari, the story is one that deserves great respect and an honest presentation. Hollywood will never deliver that kind of work.

Isobel likes this.
  4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    If they do it like Ron Howard did Rush I think it will be good.

5. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Since it isn't a documentary I'm not even interested. After high hopes "Rush" was a big letdown, once again. Hollywood always manages to screw it up when they pretty up the story with"actors."

On the other hand there have been some excellent racing documentaries in the past few years, most of which I've seen while on airliners, since the DVDs never seem to be for region 1.

Isobel and Igor Ound like this.
  6. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I’m just hoping they get Sylvester Stallone’s involved and at some point two of the drivers go racing through the streets at night after leaving a very fancy party.

375+, GuyIncognito and Isobel like this.
  7. PDX_214

PDX_214 Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    J
    Agreed, I was hoping for more from Rush. It is what it is, a Hollywood interpretation, and I can't fault em for that.

I just watched "Ferrari: Race to Immortality" on a plane on Friday. I even bought the headphones to watch it since all I had was my wireless airpods. Not too bad, I was surprised they showed as much carnage as they did. Could have gone a little deeper into the history and technical side, but it was just about the 50s and showed crashes for dramatic affect. I also happened to be wearing my Ferrari team gear after a week of testing which was funny.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  8. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I'm not sure I'll like it. The bad guys win in this film.

Isobel, Thomas Magnum, furoni and 2 others like this.
  9. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    I was interested in Rush, even saw it in theater. I guess it is ok for non-racing fans looking for a groovy 70's romp. Had they used actual race footage instead of the faked scenes I think the dramatized scenes would have had better support. The ending part with Niki Lauda was very nice.

Whether it was Grand Prix or LeMans, the actual race scenes are the best parts. LeMans did that very well with the pre-race and race start portions of the 1970 race, and it was pretty much downhill after that. Rush missed out on that completely. The soundtrack driven, swoopily edited faux race scenes are the most boring bits of any racing movie. I can tolerate a little melodrama, but give me good racing scenes.

The McLaren documentary was interesting as a corollary. I thought the weakest part of the film are the imagined driving reconstruction scenes, although I found them far more forgivable since they were intended to support Bruce McLaren's truly remarkable story, and I admit succeeded in drawing an emotional sniffle from me. All in all I love that film.

For a sport that has such a wealth of dramatic material to mine, it is surprising that we don't have more of the higher quality documentary works (PBS/American Experience/Ken Burns like, here in the USA) drawing on well researched writings by folks like Chris Nixon, Doug Nye, Karl Ludvigsen, Brock Yates and others. Much as I liked reading Go Like Hell, I worry that we'll wind up with another Hollywood special. I'll still go see it, though.

Isobel likes this.
  10. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    I look forward to seeing it. I'm glad they are making some racing movies--better than another Marvel Movie. Racing in the Rain is being shot right now and they have been shooting footage during some IMSA weekends (produced and directed by Patrick Dempsey). Should be out in 2020.

11. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Whatever happened to Patrick Dempsey's idea to do a movie on Dan Gurney?

12. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    How about the one where Antonio Banderas was slated to play Senna?

BHW

13. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I thought "1" on Amazon was very good.

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    First trailer just came out

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Well, I see both good and bad in that, but I guess that was to be expected. I found "Rush" to be satisfactory; I'll probably say the same about this one.

16. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Gurney flop? ;)

17. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    An actor i like (the real batman), another i dislike (mr ripley?)...and as someone said, a movie were the bad guys win...hummm..it will leave a sour taste...but might be a good movie to watch...

F1tommy likes this.
  18. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I will watch to see the race footage as it looks from the preview to be pretty good. They do seem to be very biased towards FORD(Shelby gets all the credit), but lets not forget all these guys could be portrayed poorly as they were all jerks a lot of the time. Enzo was also the king of jerks from what I have read!!

19. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  20. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    GuyIncognito likes this.
  21. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  22. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Trailer is loaded with fakey doo computer generated "action".
    Shelby will definitely be the hero. curious to see if the word "Lola" will be spoken.
    I'll not buy a ticket for this but will watch on free TV which will probably be soon after release.

Isobel and Ney like this.
  23. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    dont count on seeing it for free on tv soon after the release. Its slated to be pretty big

24. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    GT40 and P cars are all reproductions. Disappointing.

Matt Damon is an ass.

I'll wait for it on netflix or amazon.

25. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Almost all racing movies suck. WE are not the target audience. WE are car enthusiasts. They even put in a love story in Grand Prix to get "women" to want to see it. That's why there's Matt Damon in this one complete with his phony cowboy accent.

I didn't like Rush. Interesting recreations of cars and CGI but they tried to add additional drama off the track. And completely ignored Enzo in the entire movie like he's just some old man sitting on a bench reading his paper while Niki does everything.

I have to say this is the stupidest title since Godzilla vs Mechgodzilla. That's the best they could come up with?

Isobel likes this.