83 Boxer engine and gearbox rebuild | Page 3 | FerrariChat

83 Boxer engine and gearbox rebuild

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Newman, May 31, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    crinoid likes this.
  3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what you understand under "dog teeth" paul? those where the synchro sleeve goes on?
    looks not so bad in the photo

never heard about dog teeth at a gearbox.

4. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    1st gear looks OK. Why do some last and others fail? Heat treat ?

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I would say that and the heavier testarossa with bigger tires and more torque is also a factor.

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The pointed teeth that the syncro sleeve engages on. The other forward gears are perfect and even this 3rd gear is great, just pointing out the things Im seeing as I inspect the components.

7. stevenschuh

stevenschuh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2008
    Gibson Island, MD
    Full Name:
    Steve Schuh
    Who the hell would grind a gear like that? Oh, that would be me. Dang.

Sent from my SM-G935V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  9. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Paul, what did you use to clean the gearbox housing?

10. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I don't think he will say, but it's not too hard to tell by looking at the parts.

11. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Paul's work is amazing.

Newman likes this.
  12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    crinoid likes this.
  13. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I always have thought it interesting, or a miss on Ferrari's part, that the 12 cylinder engines received the internal paint treatment but not the V8. Hidden debris in the castings negatively impacts both engines, not sure why this was reserved for only the larger engines. Must be a cost issue.

14. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Newman, curious what you use for internal coating of the block? Glyptal? I'm considering one of the oil shed polymer coatings for everything except the cam saddles and caps and might go with an oil retaining coating for those. BTW, this is for a 550 engine, not a Boxer.

15. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Ferrari moved away from the paint inside the engines and gearboxes. The boxer gearboxes in 84 were unpainted inside and out near the end of production but its the same type of casting as a 365 gearbox. Testarossa and TR no paint inside engine or box. The Testarossa and V8 cars were cast differently (like they were diecast not sand cast) than the boxer blocks and I wouldn't paint any of them inside because its a liability and you cant measure the benefit if there even is one. Oil return I understand the concept but with 14L on hand you wont be starving for oil and needing to find a better way to get it to the sump faster. Casting debris? The oil filters would catch it. With the amount of paint Ive seen missing from the insides of engines that would then set these casting particles free, I haven't seen a crank yet that needed to be machined because it was damaged from contamination of any sort.

My theory on the internal paint is if casting particles were their concern the paint would seal it in and the paint wont start falling off and going through the engine and gearbox until long after its out of warranty. Maybe it was to assure them that porosity causing external leaks would be avoided with the paint? I dont know but I do know the paint comes off the inside of the boxes, blocks, heads and anywhere else they painted them inside and it comes off in big pieces! I remove the rest of it effortlessly with a pressure washer and I dont paint them inside again. If ferrari couldn't get it right on a fresh casting from their own foundry Im not going to put electric motor winding paint on them and cross my fingers thinking I can do it better.

Its just not needed in my opinion and its risky to apply it.

ago car nut and crinoid like this.
  16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  17. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Better oil return was the first reason and sealing the cast ally was the 2nd. In my old occupation we had numerous problems with high spec Italian valves failing hydro tests due to excessive porosity, and from what I've seen of Ferrari's castings they're nowhere near the same quality as the valve manufacturer's castings.

However your last point is why I'm still procrastinating and haven't moved forward and done it. Think I'll stay with the bare casting and call it good.......

of2worlds likes this.
  18. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Will JE or other custom piston guys build you a higher compression piston? My understanding is that the lower end will take it. James Patterson uses
    the stock crank on the TR for 1200 hp turbo applications. That says a lot. Billet rods of course and forged pistons.

19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Ive seen stock rods in twin turbo cars. The crank is billet steel and anyone will build you pistons, you just need to be very specific about every detail when ordering pistons.

20. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    That explains using the stock crank. The lower end is just incredible on these boxer engines it seems. Have you ever seen a failure?

21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #71 Newman, Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    I bought a blown up boxer engine that had a rod poking out of the top of the block. I’ve since sold it but kept one demoed piston for a conversation piece.

The 76 boxer prototype im restoring had a bent rod that was bent out to the side so it made a knock sound every revolution as the beam struck the counterweight.

Ludwig likes this.
  22. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001