Speciale Market | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Speciale Market

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by DM1, Jan 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Merit Partners has a beautiful spec matching your requirements if I recall correctly. If I was in the market as a buyer, that would be my top choice.

2. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

Very classy car, looks so much better in my opinion without the stripe.

I know the future market will probably disagree, no stripe carbon this and carbon that but beauty is in the eye of the beholder - pleased you found the right car and if you’re happy with the purchase value to you then who cares! Just enjoy the car.

3. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    F12JAJ, chrixxx, Afonsolaw and 4 others like this.
  4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!

5. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    That just goes to show you these approved "lists" don't exist at all... these cars mainly go to dealer mules in order to circumvent manufacturer guidelines of having to sell a car no higher than MSRP.

6. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    The only true official list for Porsche that I know of is the 918 VIP program.

All other lists are dealership controlled and they have no obligation beyond goodwill to adhere to them or even make a list in the first place.

boobernackle likes this.
  7. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I’m curious to know how the Speciale market seems to hold so strong still at or above MSRP.
    It seems other models have dropped....at RM in Monterey
    599 GTO sold $500k, used to be $700k+
    LaF sold $3mil, previously sold $4mil
    TDF AT $1.1 used to be $1.3-4
    Even SA seems to be dropping a bit. There is a yellow SA asking $550k when some are/were asking $750k.

Sent from my 16M

8. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Speciale coupe never went to stupid prices unlike many of the models you just mentioned.

tekaefixe likes this.
  9. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Keep in mind a Speciale coupe used to go for $45K-60K above MSRP at the height of the market. So as a percentage, that's not much different than your other examples.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The Speciale is the LAST of a breed. It is a track focused NORMALLY ASPIRATED couple that does practically everything well. It will stall for a while at present prices or even a bit lower but in a few years will pass million in value for low mileage examples.

Its just that good.

11. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Not a chance. I'd sell you a call option on that if I could ;)

It's a much loved car, but they made a lot and it's very modern. They'll never reach $1M. It's been 15 years and the 360CS isn't anywhere near it, and it's waaaay harder to find a nice 360CS than it is to find a nice Speciale.

dustman, Boomhauer and Mn-0127 like this.
  12. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    How many Speciale were produced? I am curious as to where your line is for “a lot of them”. Also, is the 360CS the last of anything or the first of anything significant? For example, the last NA V8 (which is significant). Not sure I agree with your comparison. And why is “very modern” a detractor for value?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    There were about 3k speciales built i believe

14. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  15. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Yes, estimates usually fall in the range of 2600 to 3000 coupes built.

16. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens

Just curious, is 2600 to 3000 considered “a lot of them”? Not really trying to prove anyone’s option as being wrong but more so just getting some thoughts to adjust my opinion <g>.

17. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I personally don't feel it's a high number, especially as that's the quantity worldwide. That being said, even if they built 50,000 of them, I'd still have one parked in my garage!

Clay512TR likes this.
  18. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    I agree 100%

19. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    A few things:

1. There is no proof that it's the "last" NA. In fact, until Ferrari goes out of business there will never be a "last" NA because they could always make another one. Lamborghini and Audi have no problems keeping NA for the time being. There is thus far nothing that say they will not or cannot make another NA in the future. I definitely wouldn't bet against it. People said manuals were dead too, but here we are with the "last" manual 911 GT3... again.

2. As time goes on, the difference between 360CS and Speciale will get smaller and small since they will both be very old. It will be like comparing a 1960s classic to a 1970s classic. Is one better? Sure, but they are both antiques.

3. They did make a lot. Even though 3000 cars might not seem like a lot, it is in the exotic car world. What would the price of the LF be if they made 3000 of them? What would a 250 GTO be worth if there were 3000 of them? The reality is that 3000 is a lot of cars when it comes to collector cars. I believe they only made 187 or so Murcielago SVs.

4. Modern makes a difference because modern cars are better made, they last longer, and modern society now tries to maintain them. A lot of collectible these days are valuable not just because they were significant, but because so few continue to exist. Cars are not really an exception. A lot of rare cars todays were built in reasonably large volumes, but weren't taken care of or preserved. Same goes for baseball cards and comics. If everyone preserved their Action Comics 1, it wouldn't be worth anywhere close to what it is now.

Nowadays though, people saw what happened to these things and now everyone tries to preserve them. This in turn is what keeps them from appreciating. A Kobe Bryant rookie card would be worth a lot of kids were still sticking them all in their bike spokes. Instead they are all mint condition, in plastic cases, thereby ensuring they will always be worth nothing significant. It's going to be a long, long time before there are only 500 Speciales left in the world and before they are all beat to hell. Preitine Speciales will be plentiful and easy to come by for a very long time IMO.

5. "Last of" is only meaningful to those that fool themselves into believing it. It literally means nothing even if it was true. Whether it's the last NA or not doesn't change anything about it. There are thousands of NA Ferraris for sale and there will be for a very, very long time. In 2042, why will a Speciale's NA engine be any more important than a 360CS? Honestly, I think the 360CS sounds way better anyway.

I think there are a lot of reasons the Speciale will never be as expensive as some believe. Sure, it will be more than a 360CS since it costs $200K more to begin with, but the average buyer will be dead before it reaches $1M IMO...

20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Yes, 3k is a lot.
    But, you can buy a speciale now, drive a long time and likely lose $0-$50k (in USA market).
    Try that with the 812superugly

21. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Yeah, the vehicle with a rear end that looks like the helmet-head of a Star Wars creature.

22. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    Interesting to read other people’s opinions but I find it ignorant to debate/argue opinions. They are just opinions, reality will prove worth. I do however learn from them from time to time.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  23. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Really?

The LaF sticker was around $1M, and TdF around $600K, so, both of those have been selling at twice or more of original price...seems the percentages are quite different than a Speciale sticker of $325K going for 50 over, not exactly 325K or more over...

dustman likes this.
  24. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    Caeruleus11 and Clay512TR like this.
  25. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    That is the whole point! :)

458-Italia likes this.