Would you trade Perf for Speciale?? | FerrariChat

Would you trade Perf for Speciale??

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by plastique999, Sep 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I know this is Fchat....but figured I’d hear some opinions. I received my Performante last year in the first round of U.S. deliveries. It is an incredible car, clearly proven on the Ring. But I feel it is a tad too digital for me.
    I’ve got the CGT, LP670SV and 16M which feel more raw and connected in their own ways.
    So I’m wondering if I should trade the Perf for the Speciale? Has any one owned both or have driving experiences in both to compare?
    The real move would be for me to get an SA....

View attachment 2600470
    View attachment 2600471

Sent from my 16M

2. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Go test drive a Speciale and then you can answer the question for yourself. It's your money, so it should be your decision.

3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Had Speciale and now perf spyder (and 458 spider currently also).

Speciale is a more hooligan and loose version of 458 coupe with a great body but worse sound.

Not as raw as the cars you like to drive. But certainly more playful than perf. I didn’t like how loose it was for street driving at all.

rocketman and tekaefixe like this.
  4. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami

Didn't like how loose the Speciale was or the Performante ?

5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Speciale is loose....Perf is glued.

No wrong choice here, but different. I would say both better than 720s except the Mac is of course much quicker.

6. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Selling the Performante, reaquired a Speciale and would never sell it.

It’s not that the Performante isn’t a good car, it’s just not collectible. They made tons of them as indicated by how many are available used. The ingress, egress is more difficult. I should also make the full disclosure that I am keeping a Huracan rear wheel drive with an 840hp super charger.

obbob, Ash Patel and willcrook like this.
  7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The Performante production will end with MY 2019. Ultimate production numbers will be 1500 coupes and 300 Spiders. Hardly qualifies as making a ton of them. The model will also mark the end of the NA V10 as the sole power plant and will be thereby be distinuguished from any other car.

As for performance, both on the road and track, the Performante is more accomplished. In terms of rawness and driver engagement, no other super car will offer the same degree of thrills. The Carrera GT and Aventador are more compelling. The CGT is infinitely more challenging to drive and certainly does not qualify as a daily driver.

8. dhari

dhari Karting

Jan 24, 2011
    Vancouver,Canada
    Full Name:
    Deepak Hari
    I drove the Perf Spyder yesterday and it was definitely glued to the road but I was able to get a bit loose on a left turn. I puckered up after that :p

9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I think you described what I’m looking for. I like those descriptions of hooligan, loose and playful. I’m not looking for performance anymore (otherwise Mac). Rather something more connected to the road and not “too good.”
    The Perf is incredibly fast with amazing handling but the steering feedback is numb to me.
    I realize the one thing that needs work is the exhaust on a Speciale, heard it can be fixed with decat and/or tune.

Sent from my 16M

10. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    More feedback in terms of steering and suspension can be had if you order the Performante without LDS and without magneto suspension.

11. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    This.

I find the perf spyder has incredible feel and placement.

12. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I always tell people that, while driving my Speciale, I feel like my body is plugged into an electric socket. I find the car's instant response and "playfulness" (yes, you can call it loose) to be exciting and loads of fun. It reminds me of being a kid again, and thrashing a go-cart. I've had mine since 2014 and, having driven every other modern Ferrari, can say the Speciale is definitely the "best" per my standards of enjoyment and fun. There has NEVER been a time I've driven the car that I haven't had a complete and total blast. Whereas I was bored in the 488 within an hour - but that's a different story. I'll never sell mine.

13. scuderia-seat

scuderia-seat Karting

Jan 27, 2018
    USA
    Full Name:
    late apex
    what bored you about the 488?

14. scuderia-seat

scuderia-seat Karting

Jan 27, 2018
    USA
    Full Name:
    late apex
    I drove a perf coupe at a manufacturer track day and found the rear loose on straight line braking (from 155mph) and was told it was due to the street tires; I don't know if I agree with answer, but it was quite unsettling;

15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Never thought I'd see the day on FChat where a Lamborghini is considered the more serious driver's car than a track focused Ferrari

What's next, someone saying McLaren builds faster cars than Ferrari?

RWP137 likes this.
  16. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I am not even suggesting that the Performante is lacking in feel and placement. On the contray, those are 2 of its many strengths. I am only making this suggestion to the OP because he feels it is lacking somewhat in those areas. The omission of LDS and magneto, does create a rawer driving experience. For me, their inclusion provides the perfect balance.

17. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Absolutely never experienced this nor has anyone else I have communicated with. We all are using the supplied Pirelli Corsas.

18. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Nothing compares to a Performante ;)
    Not a Speciale for sure even if is a car i LOVE.
    I'd choose something more extreme cause, as performance, nothing is similar to the Performante.
    That's why after it I bought a 488 Spider. Cause if you look for performance and adrenaline stay on your Performante ;)

Coincid likes this.
  19. scuderia-seat

scuderia-seat Karting

Jan 27, 2018
    USA
    Full Name:
    late apex
    there was some talk about tire pressures being the culprit, which I found surprising that they hadn't dialed in a track psi; what adjustments to pressure do you make for tracking the perf's street tires?

20. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Where did you get those production figures?

I always heard that Lamborghini was producing as many Performante's as production + orders allow.

21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    300 spider made.

22. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Let’s put it this way: I have an 1,100 mile Performante right now. I will trade it for an 1,100 mile Speciale without hesitation straight up. I’ll be ahead about $50-70,000 as well. And more in the future.

TheDiffuser likes this.
  23. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    I dont find the Perf lacking in any way IMO. Dont have LDS but do have magneto and to me in all conditions I have driven it i.e. mountain passes, straights, snow, ice (yeah scary) and messing about I just love the car. I also have the much maligned CF seats and cant understand the fuss as they are perfect for me (5'7").

Coincid likes this.
  24. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Directly from my dealer.

25. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    A 1100 mile Speciale will cost you $200K more than the Performante.