Sold - 1988 Ferrari Mondial Convetible | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Sold 1988 Ferrari Mondial Convetible

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by 97diablo, Sep 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Wow... look in the mirror dude. Grow up you arrogant Moron.

2. 97diablo

97diablo Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 6, 2007
    Again, your not worth my time.

3. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    serious question -

this is an 88... this has the concave wheels like the 88.5 328s ......

was there an 88.5 mondial with improvements ?

4. 97diablo

97diablo Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 6, 2007
    I apologize but I am no expert on the Mondial. Im sure one of the other Fchat members that have more experience can answer that question.
    I have owned several Ferraris, just no knowledge on the Mondial.

5. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    The Mondial had these wheels fitted as stock with the introduction of ABS in 1987. The upside is that they're 16" rims and not the metric rims that require the TRX tires.

2cam

19633500GT likes this.
  6. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Diablo,

I'm really sorry that this thread has become so contentious. You really don't deserve the abuse on this.

If you have a Carfax, it might help to post a copy of it and let potential buyers make their own judgement on whether the car is for them or not. The car is what it is. It looks like it has the potential to be a good driver example to me.

2cam

7. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    If you can find the TRX's, they are costly, and frankly a poor tire for a fun driving touring 4-seater. Like driving on ice-cubes lol

8. 97diablo

97diablo Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 6, 2007
    Thank you for the post and I agree. It's a great

Thank you for the kind words 2cam. The car truly is a nice solid vehicle.

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The first wheels are concave.

This is an 1988 with CONVEX wheels which was changed to allow for ABS on the Mondial and the GTB/S.
    It may or may not indicate the presence of the ABS system.
    It just means the Factory got the new wheels and started using them.

Look it's all well and good to discuss the car, I am not a Mod but weighed in earlier on the Title discussion.
    I note there are NO screen grabs, nno incident date for the devaluing event, just talk???

And, there will be a Mod along because name calling is not allowed in the Website,
    And you might look at the guidlelines for market value discussions, here.
    OK only if asked for by the seller.

1988.5 is a designation for the VERY last 328s....and while it does related vaguely to the ANS and suspension geometry modifications, it's never made it to a State title that I have ever seen. The lady at the Tax Office, NEWS FLash: She does not give a *&^(*&.

The fact he is telling you about "drive feel" indicates to me, this probably does have the last suspension mods, if not the ABS system option itself...HTH

Carry on....

ScottS likes this.
  10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I will also say as far as the high quality but very soft leather of Ferrari interiors is concerned, it's age in years as well as use.

We can see relatively new cars, 458s and so forth, with the side bolsters marked and worn because it's all but impossible to enter with out it.
    These seats are more like a sofa! LOL!

And as usual the driver's seat shows some pretty good usage (in thirty YEARS!) but the rest of them are in fine shape to my eye.
    $500 still buys a lot in a Trim Shop, here down South

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Don't get so wound up over a $20K deal......I don't see how you could go wrong really.

And ScaleDetails as he said has owned more Mondials than I can count.
    It looks like he kept track of them.....

12. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Advertisers can be banned when posting on their own ad. Report offenses, do not respond to them.

This is more opinion than fact. Permanent thread ban.

You actually reported the advertiser for making "personal remarks" but didn't notice the 3 personal remarks you made yourself????

3-day site ban.

Mbutner and ScottS like this.
  13. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Why limit yourself to 1 at a time?? ;)

Free bump for seller.

Regards,
    Jerry

14. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    After all of the insanity of this thread, I decided to run a Carfax on the car to address my own personal curiosity. The Carfax does state that there was a severe accident and that a salvage title was issued on the car in 1992. As we all know, Carfax can be less-than-perfect. However, at least we know that it is on there.

The car is what it is. Go into the purchase with your eyes wide open, set your expectations accordingly, and it's unlikely that you'll be disappointed. The car still looks as if it would make a good, solid, driver-quality car - especially if you're able to do much of the work yourself. Just be aware that an exit may be more difficult with the Carfax history.

2cam

gsfent and thecarreaper like this.
  15. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Thanks for that. I am one of those that doesn't get scared away from a salvage history Ferrari. I've owned many that were in better condition as a result, and drove just like they should. I can't imagine this Ferrari wasn't put together correctly way back then. Still looks the part today.
    I would if I wasn't so limited on space. ;)

thecarreaper likes this.
  16. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Agreed. I'm almost a little bit embarrassed for some of the comments posted here. As an observer with no skin in the game, I'll summarize it this way;

$23K red/tan Ferrari - MY 1988

Joe

17. 97diablo

97diablo Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 6, 2007
    Sold!! Thank you for all the interest.

Cigarzman, paulchua and gsfent like this.
  18. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Congratulations to the new owner! I hope that they have a wonderful time with the car!

2cam

paulchua likes this.
  19. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    #69 Meister, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    This car ended up in my garage. Car has needs for sure. Interior carpet and seats redone, wheels repainted and new tires and of course updated service. But for the entry point ($) even with the history and it's needs, IMO not a whole lot of downside. A quick look at the car on the lift I can't find an obvious or glaring frame repairs or signs of damage. According to the report something happened in 1992 and most likely we will never know what that was. Car was still fairly new with 7K miles and may not have taken much damage to trigger the insurance equation for "totaling" it. Hood alone at the time could have been $20k. Either way its a living breathing red/tan 3.2 which drives nice and most system work. Report also mentions it was serviced and Ferrari/Mas of Atlanta after 1992 and also have some leads that it was worked on by Tim Stafford's shop too. So someone thought it was worthy or keeping up after 1992. Fresh oil last night, fresh gearbox oil tonight, slowly addressing it's issues and needs as we head into winter. The car is what it is. It will never set the benchmark for resale but it's by no means unsaleable down the road. There were many people trying to get it as, I just got there first and there will certainly be a buyer down the road when/if I decide to move on.

20. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Congratulations! It sounds like the car has found the perfect home - someone that accepts the car for what it is and a willingness to make the needed improvements to fully enjoy the car. Have fun with it!!!

2cam

MrMark likes this.
  21. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    it was repaired by autometrics - they do quality work

22. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    If in fact Tim Stanford even touched it, the car was a great buy. This guy is a genius with Ferraris. Congrats to the new owner.

4re308, eyeman1234 and GatorFL like this.
  23. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Congrats! Well bought, period.

Temple and gsfent like this.
  24. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Bro , really. Why don’t you get some business and mind it. Have a nice day. Best , Kirk

arizonaitalian likes this.
  25. 97diablo

97diablo Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 6, 2007
    Glad it went to a good home!!

Cigarzman and 4re308 like this.