The genius of the 360/360CS/430 exhaust design finally understood !! | FerrariChat

The genius of the 360/360CS/430 exhaust design finally understood !!

Discussion in '360/430' started by MD355, Sep 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    While I am now in the process of finding a suitable exhaust for my Lotus Esprit V8 twin-turbo, I finally understood the genius of the 360/360CS/430 exhaust systems...

Some people tell me to go with X-pipe to facilitate the exhaust scavanging from the alternating pulses from each engine bank. Combined with an X-pipe, the exhaust pulses create vacuum and draw exhaust from the engine more efficiently.

Some other people suggested I go with straight pipes, as they are more restrictive and the engine performs better, especially at high rpm !!

So, what did Ferrari do with the 360 ? From what I understand they created X-pipe at low rpm where you need scavanging to facilitate the exhaust pulses , create more torque and silence the car down...
    And at high rpm , when the exhaust valves open, in the stock 360 they are almost straight pipe, while in 360CS/430 they are 100% straight pipe !!! Fantastic design !!!

So, anyone going aftermarket should better think twice if they can improve other this design !!

2. sierra055

sierra055 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Melbourne, AU
    Full Name:
    Marshall
    Plus, as an added bonus, it sounds amazing with the valves open! :D

MD355 likes this.
  3. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

exactly my thought, i dont think any aftermarket stuff will beat OEM allaround

MD355 likes this.
  4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the CS and 430 sound incredible from the factory. the 360 does not. 99% of people who go aftermarket exhaust do so for increased volume and tone and most just do the mufflers so the factory plumbing is in tact up until the cats. my my CS i have the stock exhaust. on one of my 430s i have capristo hi flow cats and carpisto headers as i wanted to reduce the heat on the headers. on my 360 i replaced the cat back exhaust with tubi because i wanted the tubi sound.

crinoid, whatheheck and deportm like this.
  5. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    The sound is epic. Would not want to change my exhaust system for any other system out there nothing comes close. Add hi-flow cats to the exhaust perfect. The low cost of a used 430 exhaust it's a no brainer. IIRC I payed $600 for my complete 430 system here in Ozz.

crinoid likes this.
  6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    you put a 430 oem exhaust on a 360? thats genius!

crinoid likes this.
  7. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Same same but different.

8. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    I've never driven a stock 360, only those with Tubi (like mine). But I do like the sound the Tubi makes, as it's quite aggressive, and still howls at high rpms. I should probably watch more youtube videos to figure out what I'm missing between all the other variations out there :)

9. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    The 430 setup is almost perfect, maybe just a little loud with de-cat headers. Only thing I would change is it's too loud on cold start. The valves seem half open as gas flows out all 4 pipes. I want valves closed on cold start idle.

10. dennis_maine

dennis_maine Karting

Sep 11, 2007
    ME
    Full Name:
    Dennis Haines
    One of the first things I did was remove the Tubi that came with my 360 and replaced it with a stock exhaust. Best thing I've done to the car, so far. It doesn't drive me crazy all the time, and it sounds great with even mildly aggressive acceleration.

11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Im sorry. Ur saying the stock 360 exhaust sounds great? It sounds like and old suv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skidkid likes this.
  12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I get stock/valved tips with a Tubi to tame it down when you aren't on the gas. It is a good configuration in a Spider. But the stock muffler is very quiet.

13. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Is this correct? The CS/430 box does some X-pipe magic inside it? I've only seen the monster 3 foot OEM muffler cut open and it looks like a standard muffler with baffles, pipes, and chambers. Has anyone opened up a CS box before to see if it crosses over? Before anyone comments, this is with closed valves as all my neighbors are fully aware when I open those up....

14. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    Aldous opened a F430 box which does have crossover piping but not a true x-pipe: https://aldousvoice.com/2015/09/11/ferrari-f430-exhaust-silencer/

I'm 360 Canuck, Ghostdiver and MD355 like this.
  15. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    A nice configuration would be to cut open a 360/360CS/430 exhaust silencer and build inside a true X-Pipe exhaust !!! This way at low rpm you would get maximum torque from the scavenging effect of the X-Pipe and at high rpm when the valves open you would get straight pipes that help with maximum power !!!!

16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Isnt that was a capristo is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Saw a burned CS box on ebay that I seriously thought about buying just to do that!

18. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar