Just Received Topspeed Headers, WTF? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Just Received Topspeed Headers, WTF?

Discussion in '360/430' started by BlacktopRacing, Sep 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Kinky wife=good
    Kinky exhaust=bad

Send them back. Not worthy of a Ferrari.

2. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Their bender probably can’t do that tight of a radius.
    Ask me how I know...

3. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Let's see the dyno graph comparing these and AP on the same car.

This is all much ado about nothing IMO.

4. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    As Virulosity noted its probably doesnt make much difference to flow, its like putting a curved larger 3 inch intake pipe on a 911 Turbo, over the 2.5 convoluted OEM intake, one would think it makes a big difference, it makes NO difference, air flows well through any shape, Id be more worried about the welds splitting

Ferraripilot likes this.
  5. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    I hate to be THAT guy but I’m a firm believer in you get what you pay for. Fab and vivid are ok quality, tho not something I’d put on my Scud. Eventually welds will break. And I didn’t even know there’s a Fabspeed knockoff! I had a few people a while ago complain about how S-line was overpriced because it was a few SS bends and some welds . However the quality is high, the parts are top notch, the welds are perfect and even that I have no issue paying more. It’s like saying both Tods and Steve Madden loafers are just loafers. In reality you pay for the quality and workmanship. Same goes here with your headers... Headers for $899 for a F430 on eBay is a HUGE red flag. Especially when the country of origin is Taiwan. Aside from crap welds is also be wary of material grade. I’ve had issues before with Asia and knock off materials.

Seems in this case the quality is an issue, Asia tends to go for price versus quality. They went cheap or just didn’t have the right equipment to make nice bends. In the grand scheme of things, yes power gains may not be notably different. However, and rapid change of direction or necking, sharp bends, etc will cause turbulence. Enough of it and you increase back pressure. Long story short it may not noticeably affect power but it certainly doesn’t help.

My advice for you is the same I’d give any friend. #1 don’t be cheap, #2 don’t be cheap, and #3 do your homework. Buy American or European. I’d return those things and go with a reputable (not made in China) system. FYI vivid and Fabspeed are made in China. Hope this helps.

Nuvolari likes this.
  6. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    In the day of internet resources, sometimes people speak without knowing or even without verifying their info or source. We’ve all been bamboozled by it my friend. The best thing you can always do is verify everything yourself or at the least ask multiple sources. My girlfriend is very good at this. She googles everything I say!

7. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden

There are many of us here with the Top Speed headers installed without any issues. I for one don’t have the same look on my headers as the OP. Mine are also coated and have worked flawlessly for 7000 miles now. I agree that you in most cases get what you pay for but in this case the product is very good for the price. I never heard of Top Speed headers cracking on a F430 but I’ve heard of several cases with an another brand that is commonly mentioned.

NoKidsNeedFerrari and Sky Hye like this.
  8. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Topspeed are not the same as any other manifold. They are un-equal length. That's always been known and accepted given the price. But that bend is no good. I would send them back.

9. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe

Some good advice, except for lumping all of Asia into a poor quality basket. We have some very important assemblies made in Taiwan out of inconel and Tig welded, that many of you entrust your lives to and don’t realize it. It’s the company and the standards they set that’s most important. There are some welders in Taiwan that lay down higher quality welds than any of our others welders globally due to an overwhelming sense of pride and “face”.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

TAILWAG and Flea7 like this.
  10. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    I’m sure there are several companies that would prove me wrong however I have yet to come across one personally. I have nothing but heartburn while dealing with manufacturers in China. However as you stated in sure there are many out there. Just as there are many crummy manufacturers here in the states. Thanks for the positive quote

11. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    Send that crap back and get a refund ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The fabricator/Seller should be ashamed for pushing garbage out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nuvolari and Sky Hye like this.
  12. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Not saying you´re wrong but are you sure the case on a FPC Ferrari-engine? Any data to share?

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  13. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    Subaru was successful for decades with UELH

14. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    I believe that the GT350 with a FPC engine also has UELH.

15. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    I think it is important to distinguish between Taiwan and mainland China for overall product quality. BTW those headers look like caca.

Sky Hye likes this.
  16. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Sorry to hear about your experience with top speed. Mine didn’t look anything like that I would return them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Did you happen to take any pictures, and if so, care to share them?

18. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Good choice.

19. Nine9Three

Nine9Three Karting

Oct 24, 2017
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Tom
    FPC or conventional, there is no advantage to UELH. In some cases, for space limitations a manufacturer may be forced to install UELH but this is not optimum. This is nothing new and decades of tuners know which is best.

20. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Any definitive studies on what power gains you get from equal length compared to unequal on a Ferrari engine or a V8 generally? I’m not sure about your theory that manufacturers install unequal length as a compromise.

NoKidsNeedFerrari likes this.
  21. Nine9Three

Nine9Three Karting

Oct 24, 2017
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It is a Google search away. Let me guess. You have the poorly designed and manufactured headers?

22. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    As many others on this forum, however i don´t have this poor bend as in the OP´s pics. I have done a great research on the matter of equal vs unequal and i can´t really say that either is better generally. Maybe you have other info on the matter, that´s why i asked you.

23. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #48 Lotaz, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    I have TopSpeed on my Lotus, I did have to send the exhaust back twice to finally get a good exhaust with good welds etc. 22k miles over 4 years with no issues. They were very accommodating and sent me new exhausts before receiving the ones. Their quality control is not the best but the exhaust I have sounds amazing and looks amazing. It was just a hassle to get a decent product from them.

I would have to guess they send out the crappy units hoping you won't send them back...........send it back!

Ferraripilot likes this.
  24. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The gas temp is what it is, it just the flow that might be a bit confused. On big diesels with big blowers the temperature of the exhaust going into the turbo is about 610 C, yet the gas coming out of the exhaust valves is only 510C. They say it is due to a friction effect of the exhaust gas pulses and the friction of the gas going through the pipe.

25. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    Ohh but uelh sound so gooood on a Subaru boxer

JoeTSI likes this.