Scott Dixon "Born Racer" Trailer | FerrariChat

Scott Dixon "Born Racer" Trailer

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Sep 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    “Born Racer” a documentary about Scott Dixon debuts October 2.

I rate Dixon alongside many of the greats, Andretti, Foyt, Mears, Kristensen, Prost
    and Schumacher as one of the best racing drivers regardless of series.

He’s about to win his fifth Indy Car title which puts him behind only Foyt who has
    seven championships and the guy is just an all around bad-ass who can drive
    anything.

2. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Didn't know this was a thing. Thanks for the tip, looking forward to it.

3. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    A true class act, a clean racer, and a guy who never gives up. Huge respect for that man and what he's accomplished. Doesn't look like he's done yet either.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  4. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Toto Wolff on Scott Dixon:

It’s no surprise that a multiple champion and 2008 Indianapolis 500 winner has plenty of fans, but one may be a bit of a surprise: Mercedes Motorsport boss Toto Wolff, who has quietly followed the Ganassi Racing driver’s career for the past 25 years, thinks Dixon’s accomplishments are “amazing.”

Dixon caught Wolff’s eye in 1994 when the future Mercedes boss was racing Formula Fords in New Zealand. Wolff recalled Dixon being the class of the field in Formula Vee, a series where he described the cars as looking like someone took one of the plastic trays that restaurants use to bus tables and bolted it to the top of a racing chassis.

“I know him, but he doesn’t know that I know him,” said Wolff, who still appeared relieved that Dixon was too young to race against him in Formula Fords 25 years earlier.

“There was this 13-year-old kid who was doing a strange kind of series where the cars looked like a bus tub on wheels and he won that. So, I remember this ginger-haired young boy driving bus tubs and I’ve followed his career since then.”

Wolff, who is responsible for the Mercedes’ racing efforts in Formula One, Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters (DTM), and sports cars, added it’s clear Dixon’s talent should have earned him a shot in F1, but for some reason or another it never happened.

https://www.thestar.com/autos/2018/07/04/scott-dixon-looks-to-turns-his-luck-around-on-streets-of-toronto.html

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Dixon got his fifth title today. Clearly the class of his generation of racers.

6. 360 Kiwi

360 Kiwi Karting

Mar 11, 2010
    Christchurch
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Good day to be a Kiwi.

7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Wonder how Dixon was overlooked in F1?

Much like Tom Kristensen, quite likely because Dixon wasn't aligned with the right media
    outlet or because some obscure blacklist kept him from demonstrating his talents there.

Watch, Dixon will eventually take a class win at Le Mans if Ford stays with the program,
    the guy can just flat drive anything. Huge respect, a man among boys.

BHW

8. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    pretty much everyone in IndyCar has either been overlooked or tossed aside by F1. much the same for prototype categories of sports car racing (and in some cases, GT classes or DTM!)

F1 is very bad at talent resource allocation.

btw, I've never met anyone with a man crush like you with Tom Kristensen. do you have a shrine to him in your house? :p

9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Tom Kristensen is a friend of mine. We met originally at the Alumax/Bettenhausen CART team driver
    audition tests at Sebring in 1996.

At this test, Tom was fastest of the four drivers which included newly crowned Formula 3000 Champion
    Jörg Muller, newly crowned Formula Atlantic Champion Patrick Carpentier and Allan McNish by .4 over
    and .3 faster than Stefan Johansson's best time from the previous year. Tom's speed was evident to me through the lens, noticeably faster than the others particularly through the Chicane where the car was practically leaping forward whereas the rest looked pedestrian, I knew this was a special talent.

For 1997, the Bettenhausen ride went to Carpentier as Alumax had factories and vested interests in
    Canada. Tom went on to win at Le Mans in his first appearance in the TWR Porsche, a car he had never
    driven before and on a track he had never seen before. The legend was born which was absolutely
    no surprise to me.

Tom and I became friends and remained in touch. I later worked as his U.S. representative and worked
    with his teams, mainly BMW Motorsport and later Audi Sport.

There was none better. No driver since Mario Andretti could get into a car at the 12 Hours of Sebring
    and utterly take the race by the neck the way Tom did and I've seen most of them.

http://www.finecars.cc/en/editorial/article/news/tom-kristensen-all-time-winner-at-the-12h-of-sebring-24h-of-le-mans/index.html

BHW

nathandarby67 and GuyIncognito like this.
  10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    like I said....driver selections are rarely based solely on talent.

11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Right...

If Jean Todt had his way when Schumacher broke his leg, Tom would have gotten the ride
    in the Ferrari instead of Mika Salo.

It was such a pity that the business stars didn't line up and of course that prig Eddie Irvine
    blocked Tom from coming on the team as he remembered from their time together as team
    mates with Toyota in Japan that Tom was always faster than Irvine and Villeneuve.

But, being a nine times winner at Le Mans and six times winner at the Sebring ain't all bad
    either.

BHW

12. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I'd take that resume over F1 also-ran any day

13. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Being a fast driver is just one part of the equation. Certainly not the most important part.

GuyIncognito likes this.