Dashboard disasembly? | FerrariChat

Dashboard disasembly?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by raemin, Sep 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    As always when I do not know how to access one element I end up disassembling half of the car... So before I remove all the dashboard, could you advise me on how to remove the speedo "sunshade" (sorry for the poor english): the "leather" over the speedo sunshade has shrunk.

Thanks!

2. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    If you want to remove the speedo/tacho binnacle only, remove the instrument cluster first and you will find 3 x 5mm (8mm spanner) studs in the binnacle that secure it to the dash. Remove the nuts and it will lift off.
    It is not much extra trouble to remove the dash and binnacle as a complete unit. There is a 6mm (10mm spanner) stud at each end of the dash. These studs are positioned vertically down and easily accessed . There are another two bolts behind the central (small) instrument panel. Once these 4 fastenings are removed, the dash will lift off (complete with the binnacle and dashtop air vents).
    Regards
    WM

raemin likes this.
  3. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I thought I remember reading that there was one additional bolt that was accessed from the engine compartment.

4. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    Not that I am aware of.

WM

Ak Jim likes this.
  5. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day AK Jim,

There is ... well there is on my 365. My dash is still not installed and so if I get a chance I will take a picture. The bolt (nut ?) is located in the middle of the car and is awkward to get access to. Now, whether this is the case for 400/412 series... someone else will need to comment.

Cheers,

Sam

6. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Thanks Bill 26, this almost did the trick! Mine also add an additional horizontal bolt between the cluster and the dashboard on the left of the clock, It took me quite a while to figure out and as expected I ended up removing way to many nuts and bolts in order to identify this forth one.

A previous owner added an alarm that was recklessly installed behind the clock. It was secured with an ugly sheet of metal, which proved to be quite sharp (my finger still hurts...). Wiring has been "creative". Although this was not my original intent I'll remove all this mess in the process.

7. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Thanks guys for the posts. It's my goal to take mine apart to recover everything.

8. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
  9. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

Raemin's car/pics look to be from a 400/412 series (given the material used) and so the attachment of the dash, etc could be different than the 365. On my 365 there is a centre bolt/nut that is only accessible form inside the engine compartment through a hole and the hole is covered with a rubber plug.

Attached is a picture of the area as seen through the front windscreen along with a few pictures of my dash and its apron.

Cheers,

Sam

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

10. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    #10 raemin, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    So far i've only removed the instrument cluster not the entire dashboard. So 4 screws for the cluster alone, but you are right regarding the dashboard central screw: given that the engine is out I just jumped in the motor bay to check for this rubber plug. And indeed there is also a rubber plug in my 400i. Will probably remove the whole dashboard in the end as there are a few sequels from the decommissioned alarm.

For the record here are the 2 photos from the engine bay (rubber plug is visible on the second pic, next to the coolant hose)

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    What type and size of fastener?

12. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    On the cluster 3 nuts (7mm spanner), plus one philips screw on the side (4th one). Not removed the rest of the dashboard.

Obviously not the same size as the 365 which requires an 8mm spanner, but seems original because all the other nuts are also 7mm.

Ak Jim likes this.