Glickenhaus' SCGs | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Glickenhaus' SCGs

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by Igor Ound, Jul 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #52 johnhoughtaling, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    The other problem is brands are getting too common. Owning a Ferrari now isn’t as special as it was 20-30-40 years ago. The Glickenhaus is Exotic, super Exotic. And it’s born from racing. Same tech, as the car that got pole at the Ring 24 hours and lead for 14 hours. There’s no harder more true test of a Sportscar than the 24 hours at the ring. Yes one lap is gold standard, but being able to race and win or do well, this is epic. And, Glickenhaus has plans to go to LeMans in 2020. The Glickenhaus cars are as close to what Enzo Ferrari was doing as exists. And builds them to race and be Street legal

A few amazing things have happened to make it possible. An extremely wealthy man with a cost no object passion, a great team, a Federal small manufacturer law that just opened up allowing a small manufacturer some loop holes regarding air bags and bunch of stuff that makes cars fat. The Glickenhaus has a huge design advantage in this way as long as he makes less than 300 cars a year. Also FIA rules are changing to allow GT1 type cars as top class at LeMans. I personally think we are watching history unfold.

The Glickenhaus 004 is the most exciting car to come along in a very long time. And at 400k it’s insane.

I had some time in the 2.4M 003S and the fit and finish and engineering is astonishing. It’s not just pretty art, this is incredible engineering. The aero efficiency is 3 times what a 488 is. To be fair to Ferrari they just can’t do this with airbags and federalizing constraints. Free from all of this under the new federal law, Glickenhaus is able to do so much more. The 004 is jaw dropping. And to think it will All be done for a competitive price to the 488 is a real achievement. I haven’t seen a car this beautiful since the Muira SV (not surprising as it’s an inspiration)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

of2worlds, alan, wax and 5 others like this.
  2. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    Congrats! The SCG004S is definitely one of the most beautiful cars of recent history. Since SCG is relatively a new brand, would you mind documenting and sharing with us the experience and process of purchasing one. Hope you enjoy it in good health!

BJK likes this.
  3. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    Be glad to!!

Tenney, BJK and 9nb like this.
  4. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Being so early in the design/build process, I would want to be prepared for some price creep. ;) But, this is not Jim's first rodeo so hopefully the price won't climb too far. If it stays under $600, I would be surprised seeing how SCG 003S is $2.5 mil.

5. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    I agree, this is the most interesting startup sports car company in American history. Far beyond the days of Mosler or even Saleen who did very well but never had much ambition to go full bore into a car company. SCG has the ambition, the will, the design, the money, and the engineering to pull off something truly epic with 004S and 004CS. Naked carbon for me all around please, just like P4/5 C. These things will be true Downforce cars with the BRAPPPPPPPP of a very stout cam in block LT4 V8. Im so happy there will be something like this on offer going forward.

My guess is in a short amount of time, getting one of these machines built by SCG will be quite tough as he has a few designs and can only build 300 a year to stay compliant. Not to mention I believe even the small manufacturers will need to be completely emissions compliant so expect so hybrid design to come into play in the not to distant future. Can it get more exclusive than that?

Boomhauer and BJK like this.
  6. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    Having known Jim for almost 2 decades, this is a guy that under promises overdelivers. I’ve been leaning on him ever since he debuted the 003 to make a car that would go head to head on price with Ferrari’s production models. He’s always told me for years it was impossible. Yet he kept working behind the scenes. I think I’m as close to the project as anyone outside the company and yet he didn’t tell me until he has the design and much of the engineering completed. I am saving the email he sent me telling me I was getting 001, because I pushed him to do it.

A few things have radically changed. 1) new Federal law allowing homologation and federalizations for 300 unites. 2) he will use much of the engineering of 003 without hope that he will get back his engineering costs on that model. 3) carbon manufacturing has come down considerably. By making 300 units he thinks he can meet the price point. And at this point Glickenhaus has a lot of experience.

The issue will be limited quantities and where he can hold down dealers from charging a premium. I agree with other comments that if he delivers what he says with the 004, supply will outstrip demand at 400k. The first 25 batch are sold. And He already is fielding offers for dealers for the entire yearly supply of 300 cars.

There truly nothing like this since Ferrari started his car company. Not even Lamborghini or McLaren can claim such an illustrious start. Lamborghini decided to launch car jewelry and never thought of racing. McLaren sadly never saw his company birthed. But no one since Enzo himself had such a passion to birth a real company from a racing like this.

We are watching history unfold guys.

And with the decline of personal car ownership and the electric car, this may be the last time we see it.

7. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    "I agree with other comments that if he delivers what he says with the 004, supply will outstrip demand at 400k."
    You meant the opposite?

8. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    As an enthusiast I love everything I am seeing. I love the 003 and 004. But the SCG 006 is decidedly a different car. It is at once new. Yet familiar. I hope that they really nail it. And can make a timeless beauty. Something that is subjective. But sometimes has acclamation. (Think the debut of the Jaguar XKE.) I'm not convinced that they have that yet. I also think my eye is being drawn to the side-pipes. That element is not flowing IMO. I along with a couple others here would like to see something different there.

Good luck in all your endeavors SCG.

9. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    congrats !
    you gave exactly the answer i would - anybody with a checkbook can own 1 of many normal exotics, but it takes a passionate car person to be brave enough to buy something that is virtually unique.

with my own (currently very) limited budget, i chose the fisker because it is completely different from everything else out there - only ever seen one other in the wild.

Boomhauer, alan and crinoid like this.
  10. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    Yes. Sorry my dyslexia

11. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    5 post sequence initiated by miurasv moved to 0846 thread. 0846 content belongs ONLY on that thread.

miurasv given permanent thread ban from this thread.

12. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you
    a miurasv free thread, maybe he'll get the message, but I doubt it

showme1946 likes this.
  13. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    Question concerning the SCG 004S; is the 'Founders Edition' going to have the LT4 or the Koenigsegg V8? I was hoping they would keep the Koenigsegg V8, but I understand that the LT4 would be more reliable and easier to work on in terms of maintenance and serviceability. I'm more excited for this car than the '750LT' or 488 replacement.

14. johnhoughtaling

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    #65 johnhoughtaling, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    The engine is the most regulated bit. Although Glickenhaus achieving Federal small manufacturer designation gives them unprecedented leeway in design, the emissions control of the engine is the same as any large scale manufacturer. The amount of time spent on the engine choice is incredible. Most people don’t know this but of all the manufacturers using engines, there are only a few core engines used by most manufacturers in various guises (rebranded) for this emissions compliance reason. The Glickenhaus will have a race motor that will have 50 state federal compliance.

Glickenhaus has fielded some really great offers. Koenigsegg was very close, contracts drawn up, but their was a serious question about emission compliance for the new engine. A very big manufacturer, with extensive race experience made a serious offer, and is on the table. There are a lot of factors at place, weight, performance. But the main objective is motorsport endurance competition. Glickenhaus isn’t building hairdresser cars or cars to show off at nightclubs. Not just for one lap Ring tests but for N24 endurance. The driving force is gentlemen driver who want to drive exotic Sportscars that are competition cars. The ultimate goal, is to win the N24, and LeMans. Complicating matters is that the race regulations are in flux and the desire is to have the same engine base for street and race. Many of the founders, myself included, want to see an American derived engine by Glickenhaus that will be the same engine in the racing cars. An incredible amount of thought is going into this. Regardless of the choice, Glickenhaus engine will be carefully derived, not by bean counters but by ultimate sports car guys. Expect something exotic, with huge efficient power that is race bread first.

Boomhauer, BMW.SauberF1Team and 9nb like this.
  15. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    Thank you for the inside view/logic of SCG decision making, genuinely appreciate it and your obvious passion for them. Can’t wait to see the first car running! Truly the most exciting manufacturer in recent memory and will surely inspire others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    hmmm.... well an SC LT4 or LS would not be described as exotic. Chevy may be developing new DOHC Twin-Turbo for new C8 but doubt that would be available anytime soon.

17. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  18. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    It's been quiet for the last month or so; does anyone know when we'll see an actual running prototype of the 004S/C or the Boot?

19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I was at MMC yesterday and there were two 003 there, a road car and a pure racer. I think if you have not seen them in the flesh its hard to understand how arresting they are in person. Not often as an adult, that a car drives by and I'm like a 3 year old going wow what is that.

The build looks to be top notch, and then when the covers come off this is a car built with the best components you can imagine. Well imagine pgagani levels of OCD, but in all the bits that make a car go.

There was also a full team of techs at the track measring and working and developing. These are far far removed from what a small manufactuerer or kit builder makes. These cars are like Jewels built with no compromise, the level of detail and development, I dont know of anyone else doing that.

I know some are critical of Jim's love of attention/acolades. But in this case to my eyes he is doing what Enzo would be doing if he were still alive and ferrari was still a true sportscar manfactuerer/racer as opposed to purveyor of luxury accesories. Doubly so because Il comendatore was at the track himself dealing with the goings on.

These cars are a product of one mans passion and driving force, besides pagani(which are really only road cars) I cant think of another manufactuerer doing what Jim is doing. The closest is what Enzo did in the 60s.

TheMayor, willcrook, 9nb and 2 others like this.
  20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    9nb likes this.
  21. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    Boomhauer likes this.
  22. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I really doubt it. But I hope you are right. Thats 115hp per liter give or take... and that is not GMs expertise on naturally aspirated motors.

23. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    From SCG's facebook "After 70 hard laps at Monticello Motor Club and round trip driving from Sleepy Hollow SCG003S is being checked over. All is great and we’ve locked orders for 2019. It looks like 5 003S’ for 2019 and 5 Boots including 2 Race Boots for 2019 which sells us out. Two dealers also locked in NYC and Florida."

Glad to see them secure orders and looking forward to seeing production models and different specs!

24. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001