How much does Challenge grill help. | FerrariChat

How much does Challenge grill help.

Discussion in '348/355' started by F355Bob, Sep 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

How much does the Challenge grill help cooling? I've had mine on for years but thinking of putting stock one back on . Car might look better with stock and if Challenge is not terribly functional might take it off for awhile. Anybody ever test the function before and after?

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    A lot. I installed one a few years back. Noticeably cooler engine bay.

Yassa likes this.
  3. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I've had mine on for 18 years so don't remember what stock was like.

4. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I have no data but I dissagree with Dave a bit depending on when he measured temperatures.

I would agree with Dave when you stop and get out and then measure temps I believe it would show considerably less.
    That being said at hiway speeds I do not think it would help too much over the original.

If you are driving hard like in a racing or even moderate track day event or even in stop,and go traffic I think it would help a lot again.

I base this on my experience with engine temperatures while driving.

What I can share is our engine bays after a spirited drive are smoking hot and I am suprised we do not have more wiring problems.

5. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
  6. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    It's really simple. Reduction in surface area is more air flow. It works. If it didn't, the challenge grill would have never been designed.

7. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    watch the video Barry posted. It’s effect is negligible which is why challenge cars ran without the grills often and just the open squares and most likely why later challenge grills had a more porous pattern as well.

The hole pattern in the 355 challenge grill is marginally more porous than solid. The data is in the prior thread.

8. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    slracing and INTMD8 like this.
  9. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    That's your video, Bob. I still say you should've had Olivia host it...

:)

10. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    It helps somewhat, Grant. It gets awfully hot in there on the track. The techs always open the rear deck as soon as the car gets into the paddock.

INTMD8 likes this.
  11. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The idea that it doesn't help much is insane. Less area, more air flow, lower temperatures. ;)

INTMD8 likes this.
  12. FourthAlfa

FourthAlfa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2015
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Andrew Love
    Has anyone made any temperature measurements?

13. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Its a matter of opinion but in my book it looks cool. Makes the car look more agressive and gives the rear a great look. First mod i made.

emac, Dave rocks, INTMD8 and 2 others like this.
  14. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Even still, marginally more porous than solid flows a lot more than solid.

Cover the radiators with sheetmetal and then challenge grill material. One will reduce cooling efficiency and the other will kill it 100%.

I don't think the fan test is comparable to how this is actually working in the car. Higher pressure in the engine compartment from incoming air looking to escape is different than blocking a fan blade.

Also, there's a lot more surface area to the grill than the holes in the panel ahead of it so doesn't have to be wide open to equal the area.

Would be interesting to take temp readings with/without. Also put a pressure sensor between the grill and engine compartment panel to see if there is a build up of pressure at speed with the stock panel which may be relieved with the challenge grill.

Dave rocks likes this.
  15. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    One more thing to consider is airflow around the vehicle at speed (not my illustration). The Challenge grill is in the area of vacuum so it would seem even a greater pressure differential between engine compartment and outside when moving (vs atmospheric pressure).

I think this is the similar reason for the exhaust tip placement just above the rear diffusers.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

308 GTB and Dave rocks like this.
  16. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Massive difference in my opinion. It's dumb NOT to have one installed...plus it just looks 100x better.

Should've came with them installed on all of them from the factory.

Yassa likes this.
  17. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    For what it's worth my F1 system was overheating in traffic and causing shift issues...never happened again after the grille install. Much more room to breathe even if you're just moving up 20-30 feet at a time.

taz355 likes this.
  18. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I agree, Jim. The nolder lip on the F355 rear deck would affect airflow as you diagram indicates. Perhaps a 308/328 roof spoiler would enhance airflow into the engine bay. This early 348 design cutaway shows that a roof spoiler was originally considered for the car whose nolder lip was less pronounced...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

drbob101 likes this.
  19. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    sorry for my lack of science here.

but i don’t see how a challenge grill is not more beneficial for airflow.

i see the square cut outs in the frame but no one drives with no grill.

therefore a challenge grill should offer more air flow out the engine bay versus the solid grill.

where with the solid grill the air has nowhere to pass after the squares in frame.

Rs200tez and Dave rocks like this.
  20. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    As Dave said I think its a no brainer to think that it does not help. What I do think is that. At hiway speeds in top gear it does not help that much from my experience. I think the vacume created from the rear bonnet does a pretty good job of vacating some heat.

Ido not think that in stop and go traffic or if your driving it hard that it would do even close to as good a job

21. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Stay tuned science will prevail...

22. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I have all ready used a heat gun so I know what I am saying is true.
    I also know and have said it many time our engine bays get smokin hot.

Yassa and Rs200tez like this.
  23. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Even if it didn’t have any measurable effect for street driving.... it just looks better and is a factory part.;)

It’s such a unique design feature to me. Oddly enough, on my old 360 I didn’t care either way- so I kept the body color rear panel, but a 355 looks so much better with the challenge grill to my eye. One is the first things I did when I got my car is the challenge grill

24. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I did notice from Barry's pictures above that it appears the largest benefit is the flatness in the corners which appears to be a direct result of the grill and possibly the wing(likely the grill though)

25. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Thebes one for sale in the ads section :) LOL