Advice needed: Finishing touches on 308GT4 under bonnet area | FerrariChat

Advice needed: Finishing touches on 308GT4 under bonnet area

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ian Bishop, Sep 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ian Bishop

Ian Bishop Karting

Dec 3, 2017
    I've been wanting to do a few finishing touches on the under bonnet area to get it closer to original - particularly the shroud over the brake fluid reservoir etc... A few things look off to me: (a) screws holding shroud - can't imagine those silver philips heads are correct. Anyone have a picture of what it should look like? or the correct item (b) hole to access brake fluid lid - I imagine this had a cover at some stage - anyone have a picture of what it should be and/or where to find the part. (c) the parts manual shows a leather strap tie down that goes over the top of the spare wheel - I've never seen one? Anyone know if it was a real thing .. and if so where to get one... lastly (d) anything else look missing / in need of correcting? Thanks!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I think your silver philips screws are original. The leather strap was only on the non US cars which had a thin spacesaver sparetire. There was a round cover in the servo cover hole, but it is usually missing. The cover appears to vary from year to year, some were vinyl clad. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ian Bishop likes this.
  3. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    phillips screws are original. I also have the cap over the reservoir

Ian Bishop likes this.
  4. Lorzen

Lorzen Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2011
    NYC Metro
    Maybe, missing the radiator foam.:)

5. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  6. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    What year is yours? It appears to be made of abs plastic, I am presuming it is a later model year? I think some earlier ones were made of fibreglass.

7. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Underhood cover abs. Wheel wells fiberglass

8. Ian Bishop

Ian Bishop Karting

Dec 3, 2017
    not sure of whom you are asking this question. My car (the first post/first photos) is an early 1975 and I assume original part as everything else on the car is.

9. bromo

bromo Rookie

Feb 3, 2018
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Does anyone have a picture of the aforementioned leather strap that holds the spare wheel in place?

10. Ian Bishop

Ian Bishop Karting

Dec 3, 2017
    Here's the picture from the parts schematic (parts 33, 34, page 102)... but not an actual real one in a car... which is something I've never seen but why I'm curious if they ever existed... so I too would love to see a real picture of one.

You'll also notice there was no brake fluid access hole cover in the original parts catalog... also makes me wonder if they were made / added by owners vs. a real factory item.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

bromo likes this.
  11. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    you and I both

12. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have the belt on my car, but we’re currently on holiday in France one the Dino and I took the spare wheel and belt out before we left. The spare has never been on the car and the tyre is rock hard, so it couldn’t be used safely.
    The belt is a simple tan leather belt about 18” long with a simple metal buckle on one end.

Paul

13. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    ....or it might be black. :D

I’ll post a picture when I get back home.

Paul

bromo and Ian Bishop like this.
  14. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    Every gt4 I've seen has a brake fluid access hole. Most have lost the covers - mine did have a cover but it was lost when the car was repainted 25 years ago or so. If someone remakes them, I'd buy one.

This is what the spare hold-down strap looks like in my car - bet you wish you had a RHD car now.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

bromo and Ian Bishop like this.
  15. Ian Bishop

Ian Bishop Karting

Dec 3, 2017
    thanks for the photo - It's now clear straps were used on UK cars - assume they have the space saver wheel? I wonder if straps were ever used on cars with the full size wheels from the factory.

absostone likes this.
  16. morcal

morcal Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2003
    Turin,Italy
    Full Name:
    Cal
  17. Ian Bishop

Ian Bishop Karting

Dec 3, 2017
    Morcal, thanks so much for the pictures - great to see. With regard to the brake fluid access cover disk - could you take a photo of the disk's other side - I'd like to see the design of how it clips in or stays in place to determine if it could be recreated easily. Thanks!

18. morcal

morcal Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2003
    Turin,Italy
    Full Name:
    Cal

Attached Files:

bromo, PDB and Ian Bishop like this.
  19. bromo

bromo Rookie

Feb 3, 2018
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Thank you for the pictures.

The wheel strap should be relatively easy to copy. Interestingly there are two existing holes in my spare wheel compartment, but are horizontal and approx 12 inches apart.

No holes where a metal loop would have been as per the pictures above.

20. ItalianOne

ItalianOne Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2008
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Kevin R
    Wow I have never seen the strap either..don’t think mine has one. But going to pull the spare and hopefully I will have a surprise!!

21. Lorzen

Lorzen Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2011
    NYC Metro
    Regrets no surprise for you. :(
    There is no strap to hold the NA spare tire since it was full-size, only for Euro's with the space-saver spare tyre.

22. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Ian Bishop likes this.
  23. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Kids clothing store for that item

thorn and PDB like this.
  24. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I have a feeling that's where all the originals came from too.

25. Ian Bishop

Ian Bishop Karting

Dec 3, 2017
    If anyone has a line on reproduction or original brake reservoir access caps, please message me. I've tried all the usual parts sources to no avail .... it does show as a part on the schematic at AllFerrariParts.com: see: http://www.allferrariparts.com/pn40086100id27756.html - they refer to it as part # 40086100 - but of course don't have it!