360 f1 gearbox oil | Page 10 | FerrariChat

360 f1 gearbox oil

Discussion in '360/430' started by Majin_JT, May 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    My Nulon showed up. 75W-90 Performance Smooth Shift Manual Gearbox and Transaxle Oil. Ideal for use in transaxles with combined manual gearbox and hypoid differentials. Passenger cars: Ferrari.....

Time for my annual and all the fluids need changing except for F1 fluid. That one just gets half the fluid pulled and replaced this year.

Will let everyone know how it works. I will miss the Valvoline, which has worked great, but has likely been chewing up my synchros.

2. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks for the update. Will you be doing oil analysis on the old fluid ? I collected some this week, but it got contaminated with dirt and pollen, so I’ll have to wait until next time.

3. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No, no oil analysis.

4. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Being that the Nulon is GL-5 it will have the same synchro nasties as the Valvoline GL-5. The Nulon product description does not mention any compatibility with brass.

5. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
  6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Just curious what is your date code in bottles

Want to compare to the ones I bot a year ago

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

7. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    Dominic,
    No decipherable date code on bottle. Are you talking about the number below the tag? If so it is 1L7076P510P5.

I waited Three weeks for the distributor to order some in

8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    That it is the exact date code I have on my oil

When I sent an inquiry to eni

I was told december 10 2015

They also told me the shelf life is 60 months so I think we are good

Thanks

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

9. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
  10. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    OK, finally got around to my annual fluid changes in my 360, and sent the used MT-90 off to Blackstone. The results are attached. Copper is a bit high, which suggests wear to the synchros. Iron is above the "universal averages" but not too far off. Qualitatively, the car has shifted better since moving from GL-5 to GL-4 (MT-90). This suggests to me that GL-4 is not harmful to the gears, and while the somewhat high copper content suggests wear in the synchros, it's hard to tell if that's from the current/recent use of GL-4 or residual from past use of GL-5. Since iron is normal or not too abnormally high, I think I will continue to use GL-4 and test the fluid again at the next change.

Attached Files:

RedTaxi likes this.
  11. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Thanks for posting the results. I've had the MT-90 in for a year now and just changed it for the same again. I agree the car shifts better with the GL-4. Just wish I had the GL-5 tested when I first changed. Maybe someone else on here running Gl-5 can get theirs tested so we have a comparison?

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Nulon has worked flawlessly, but I need to contact them and see if it is compatible with brass synchros. Earlier Ferraris had iron synchro rings, so that could explain their Ferrari compatibility claim.

13. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks for the updates. Let’s keep this study going.

14. TheRealFlyingBear

Apr 27, 2020
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Reviving the discussion on Motul 300 for Ferrari 360 gearboxes. How about using Gear 300 and then adding friction modifier from Redline if there is LSD chatter? Similar to how people are using Redline 75W90NS and adding friction modifier, or not adding it at all.

15. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    I use RL 75w90 NS and no friction modifier needed/added.
    I thought I may need it after the second change with RL (effectively flushing the previous oil) but it’s bee fine.

Trans has 50k miles in it. F1 and noticeably smoother with this oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. sierra055

sierra055 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Melbourne, AU
    Full Name:
    Marshall
    So @tazandjan any update on how the Nulon transaxle oil has gone?
    I'm doing my annual and re-read through this thread again only to be as confused after as before. I'm going to use the Redline 75w90NS this time around, but the Nulon is readily available here, unlike the Eni Rotra. The Redline isn't too difficult either and seems to be a common choice.

17. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    The choice here is and has always been GL4 v GL5. That is the only real debate.

18. KVerow

KVerow Karting

Nov 22, 2010
    Bedford, NH
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I used this a couple of months ago and my car has been clunking ever since. In the 2 years of ownership prior to changing the fluid, I never had this issue. I did some research and found that I could add some Friction Modifier to minimize the clunking but this seems like a band aid. I'm going back to the factory recommended Penzoil this week.

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I used the Nulon for one season and it worked fine, just like the Valvoline. Their statement about being OK for Ferrari transaxles was related to older transaxles with iron synchro rings. So this year I went back to the Valvoline, a GL5. We shall see if the synchro rings need replacing in the far future, although 575M gearboxes also have dog clutch synchronizers, which are steel. In general, 575M gearboxes are more robust than the V8 gearboxes because of the much higher torque rating and share parts with the Enzo.

sierra055 and Need4Spd like this.
  20. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I've been using to 75/90ns for 6 years now and add a quarter cup or so of Lucas oil stabilizer. There literature says use up to 80% in a transaxle but that's a little aggressive for me. No chatter and gated manual shifts great. Guess next December during oil change I'll collect some and have it checked. Fingers crossed.

21. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    The eni is my first choice but the ravenol vsg looks.promising and on Amazon

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

22. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    75W90NS is GL-5, so if your synchros are fine, the rest should be. I’ve run MT-90 75W90, which is a GL-4, for 2 years in a row. Synchros are smooth, and last year’s Blackstone analysis came out with no significant metal, so that seems fine, too. I may do one year of NS GL-5 then revert to GL-4.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

23. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Have you ever tried MTL?

24. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    No, not in a 360 (but I did use it in past M-3, M-5). A bit too light and with GL4, I’m already taking enough risks with the hypoid gears. MTL isn’t for transaxles as I recall, but regular manual transmissions.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

25. Ruz1

Ruz1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2013
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    David
    Going back to resurrecting an old post, it's time for my annual fluid change and Eni is my first choice but to hard to get in SoCal, does anyone know of a source? any update on the MT90? did anyone use the Ravenol?