Monza SP1 & SP2 | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Monza SP1 & SP2

Discussion in 'Icona Series (SP1, SP2, & SP3)' started by ajr550, Sep 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Yes I noticed this. Also the gap between the grill surround and the front clam. Considering the clam opens I thought it was impressive.

elmadi likes this.
  2. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I asked as I thought it was Fuoco in person and they told me it was Portofino. Looked fantastic!

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Dealer said they dont think it will be road legal. Which would be a shame. Hopefully Ferrari will reconsider and add a small windshield.

elmadi and Caeruleus11 like this.
  4. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Agreed. Not only the best since Pininfarina but very reminiscent of the originality and attention to details of their former design house. I even see hints of old concept cars like the Jaguar XJ Spider of 1978 and the Chronos for the dark interior leather color like on the silver SP1.

The split line around the cockpit opening, continuing to the strip of tail-lights at the back is really inspired. They really did a nice job with the unadorned body sides and rear but added just enough sharply detailed focal points on the fenders to Masne the design interesting and not bland.

Overall nice proportions and without the contorted, tortured shapes of the 812 donor car.

elmadi, stavura, G. Pepper and 4 others like this.
  5. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Well... if the picture is faithful, what it shows should be Rosso Mugello. But I wouldn't be surprised if the picture was altered to simply show the suits as desired in a particular tone, not paying attention to the car showing its true colour.

of2worlds likes this.
  6. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    The split line around the cockpit totally looks to me like a slot where a detachable windshield could go, something almost exactly like those examples in post #297

7. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    That sums up the design very nicely!

elmadi likes this.
  8. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    On second thought, now that you mention Rosso Portofino, it might well be it in the picture of the couple in the jumpsuits. It's actually hard to tell even if that's a metallic or not.

elmadi and of2worlds like this.
  9. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I have felt that Ferrari Design have been designing of “lines” (like in 2D) rather than Pininfarina’s more three dimensional sculptural approach to design. I feel the Cali T is an underrated Pininfarina beauty and I see some similarities between the Monza and the California T, especially in the front.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Gullwing and G. Pepper like this.
  10. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    As usual, it's a bit more realistic in the actual car than in the press pictures. Anyway I also hope they keep it as small as possible.

JagShergill likes this.
  11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
  12. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    thats like saying go for a drive with two of you in a 4 seater when you should be in a 2 seater :)

13. fbrs2

fbrs2 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2012
    UK
    Absolutely love it but 1520kg dry? Really?

14. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal

I totally get what you mean about designing in 2D, case in point being the "scroll" of lines around the side inlet of the 488.

The Cali T, though was an in- house update of the Cali, yes?

crinoid likes this.
  15. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Finally Ferrari is designing beautiful cars again. I hope this new design language trickles down into the more affordable 'mass produced' cars.

I am so tired of all the crazy scoops and vents and wings. I like beautiful sexy forms. Not a lot of details.

elmadi and G. Pepper like this.
  16. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Yeah marketing is like “ tell design we need something we can make a silhouette from with two or three lines”. Just look at their new brochures and how they show the profile of the car

I believe the Cali T was a PF update of a PF design.

17. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You are right. I was doing this all in my head and I mixed up "dry weight" with what I would imagine the weight with fluids would be. It is not a super light car, but I think this only goes to show you how much extra bracing they probably added. It is entirely possible the structure is stiffer than the 812 Superfast, and thus, its possible they can offer an even more dialed in suspension- it would certainly fit with the personality of the car.

Completely agreed. Apparently they tested this in the open, just clad in Mercedes Stirling Moss garb. That's how they do it. They are very clever. I think its better this way, this is like opening up a present and getting the biggest surprise!

I agree and I wonder why that is? Is it because black is such an elegant shade? I wonder if this one is not a super dark grey? The red seats really pop.

I am sure Ferrari engineers have this covered between the helmet and the virtual windshield.

The only thing about the Monza for which I am not 100% convinced is the exhaust treatment- from some angles the exhausts look a little too big. I bet in person it works. The car is a total stunner! Bravo! Bravo! Bravo!

JagShergill likes this.
  18. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Arial Atom is road legal. How is this car any different ?

elmadi and Caeruleus11 like this.
  19. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Good question. I wonder what would make one legal and not the other then.

20. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The atoms must be in on some technicality. I always presumed it was a grey area for them....?

21. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Yet designed by the same guy with the same platform in close timing with each other and almost complete opposites in approach. One is an aero kit car/transformers approach to a beautiful PF badged F12 and the other almost no lines when viewed against the wonderful swooping and curvy '56 PF Monza 860 (a 4-cylinder affair). Both current cars going too far in each direction IMO. This has the appearance of a design team that has not found its flair yet. I'm sure others disagree but also sure other do agree.

On the performance side, would love to know more about the suspension and chassis mods. Should be spectacular. Although, for eight times the cost or whatever the released price is I would have hoped for a lot more than 10HP gain and a tune. Maybe they will release a Fiorano time well under the LaF (doubt it) and I would be rightfully impressed with the track performance. Straight line no different than 812 it is said.

22. ferr9000

ferr9000 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2013
    Full Name:
    SFF
    The color on the red car is indeed Rosso Portofino.

23. pcht5

pcht5 Karting

Jan 31, 2009
    Asia
    Full Name:
    PCHT 5
    No.

24. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    SP2 already has two small windshields. The passenger one is a little larger as the hump for the steering wheel reduces the need for a larger driver side windshield. SP1 has only the small one.

I still hope whoever rides in one wears a full helmet. It would be painful if a rock hit you in the face or a bird like what happened to Fabio on that roller coaster...

elmadi likes this.
  25. faykau

faykau Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    if they ever consider making a roofed version of sp2 with no truck space, i am pretty sure they can charge 2+mil for each car and it will still be sold out faster than f12 tdf. it makes the tdf looks a bit too busy. and certainly will make the 812 look like crap.