Pressure Washer for 512TR? | FerrariChat

Pressure Washer for 512TR?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by VColin, Sep 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VColin

VColin Karting

Aug 5, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Vince
    What is the consensus on using a pressure washer for the 512TR, exterior and engine bay? I've read through threads on the forum and get the sense that it's playing with fire with the Testarossa, but OK with the 512TR.

An owner of a 512TR with an immaculate engine bay told me his secret was covering the coils amongst some other components and using a pressure washer. I don't remember what else he covered. Anyone with experience have any tips on what else to cover?

Thanks.

2. MisterT

MisterT Karting

Feb 2, 2011
    Fleet, Hampshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Taylor
    I use a pressure washer on my TR, about 30-50cm away. It is good for shifting the dirt before a foam wash. Excellent on the wheels too, rinse inside wheel arches and under body. Environmentally, pressure washer uses a fraction of the water that a hose and spray uses.
    Not sure i would do inside the engine bay though. Will think about that for later.

3. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Pressure washers are a no-no in car cleaning/detailing (unless it’s very low pressure). Pressure washers have high potential to cause damage and micro scratches (debris forced off the surface under pressure) on the finish and inadvertently force water into areas not intended or desired (especially in the engine bay) and it’s a big risk unless handled with great care.

Proper cleaning is with the right products and clean water using brushes and mits.

peteficarra, MOSS and Jakuzzi like this.
  4. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Yep, totally agree. Save the pressure washer for farm tractors and equipment, sidewalks, etc.

5. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I know someone removing bugs from his DD with pressure washer, and removed some paint!

MOSS likes this.
  6. TexasTodd

TexasTodd Rookie

Dec 4, 2010
    Well, I am not sure what examples are being used in this thread, but some of the world's most professional and respected Ferrari detailers swear by pressure washing. Pressure washers are the BEST way to get the car clean, but not by themselves. Modern foam formulations can completely cover a car the size of a Ferrari in foam. I have the ability to keep cars, I detail, covered in foam for 15 to 20 minutes should I wish(depends on grime level). Good rinse with a pressure washer after and on to soap. Never direct the pressure washer at a 90 degree angle to the panel. Always at a side angle. Never close in on the paint, especially with higher power gas powered washers.

I'm sure people will use what makes them feel the most confident in the work at the end of the day. A pressure washer is just a tool to help clean a car that works better than some other tools, but like all tools, it depends on how you use it.

All of my clients with cars that have coatings on them only get pressure washed. Those cars look amazing and some are over a 2 year mark now with the coating and it is performing great.

One last comment, and I have done this, but there is a youtube video. A pressure washer, at a reasonable distance from the paint, cannot even remove stuck on bugs from the front facia of a car. Yes, it will take the less well adhered stuff, but the bug splat is staying. Try it.

Ok, back to your beautiful cars.

xplodee likes this.
  7. VColin

VColin Karting

Aug 5, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Thanks, I appreciate the responses. I have a 2000 psi 1.8 gpm pressure washer with a large 40 degree angle nozzle recommended for washing cars, but not strong enough for concrete, brick, or siding. I was planning on using it for pre-wash/foaming and rinsing. Multiple microfiber mitts for washing. Immediately drying with a leaf blower. I tested it out on my other cars, one with PPF and ceramic coating, one without either. Worked very well on both. My main concern is whether the water and foam that get into the 512TR's engine bay will wreak havoc. An owner I talked to at Concorso used a pressure washer to detail his engine, but covered some components. I think I'll try covering the engine lid and washing it separately with rinseless soap. If you see me posting about paint repair next week, you'll know what happened.

8. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Alot of special instructions and advice when you can do the same with a garden hose and not worry about about accidentally letting it get away from
    you and ruining your car. Ever accidentally got you finger in the path of the high pressure stream? It will cut it like a razor blade. Is this what you want against
    your paint? Spray some bug and tar remover on the tough spots, wipe it off and just use mild soap and water. Its your paint and your car but so many horror
    stories about pressure washers and paint out there. To each his own I guess. I have never seen any exotic dealer use a pressure washer on these cars.

9. TexasTodd

TexasTodd Rookie

Dec 4, 2010
    Esoteric Detail is one of the world's finest detailers. They have plenty of videos on their site showing how they wash some of the world's most expensive and exclusive cars. They have several detail videos that show their skill and level of professionalism on some of the world's finest Ferrari's and, some would argue, that they made their name with Ferrari detailing. Pressure washing is standard fare for them.

10. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    I don't think it's an issue with the exterior with the pressure washer for foaming the car, and rinsing. When I do wash the car, I use the paint - plastic film sheeting from the local hardware store, and cover the engine bay completely. Then to ensure that they stay put, I would put multiple towels on top of them to catch the water/foam. Close the lid, and go through your normal washing routing(ie. foam gun, 2 bucket method, etc.). Obviously, remember to open the lid and remove the towels & plastic before driving. I don't have a problem remembering - but to be safe you can always put a sticky note in your front windshield as a reminder.

I have no experience in washing the engine bay. I'm just afraid something will run amok - and will be costly to fix/replace. Any parts in an older Ferrari can be expensive - for even something that is trivial - so it's not worth the risk to me.

11. TexasTodd

TexasTodd Rookie

Dec 4, 2010
    I agree. It takes some time to properly clean an engine compartment. Even without extensive water usage, cleaning can result in some issues. There are some specific items in some engine bays that don't re-act well to high pressure or steam clean. Take your time and protect electrical components. Jet dry equipment also helps keep risks down in the engine bay.

12. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Never heard of them but I guess you can risk it if you want to. : ) To each their own.