Love my new to me 458 Ital dealer cert with warr, but.... | FerrariChat

Love my new to me 458 Ital dealer cert with warr, but....

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 458Rocco, Sep 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 458Rocco

458Rocco Rookie

Jun 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason A Moreci
    Bought my 458 Italia from a local reputable dealer with the assurance they went through it with a fine tooth comb and all reports came back perfect (2014 with 3 years maint and 1.4 year warr remaining). Exterior, interior and engine is showroom condition. Only thing I noticed was a bit of a squeak when braking from time to time.

From day one I thought it was struggling a bit to start but as a new Ferrari owner I wasn't too concerned since it was certified and they just went through the entire car (same train of thought with the brakes). 3 weeks later I get an 'Electrical Failure, bring to dealer' error. I bring to another and much closer reputable dealer and they run a test... bad battery and recommend a new tender. $1400

Yesterday brought it in for annual service (4 months after purchase). The squeaking brakes were the result of cracked brake pads. Replace those, flush the brake fluid and a 4 wheel alignment, $4k.

Shouldn't the selling dealer caught these items while certifying??

2. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    I guess they should be under warranty.
    Was the one that sold it to you a Ferrari dealer?

3. 458Rocco

458Rocco Rookie

Jun 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason A Moreci
    Yes

4. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    I'm pretty sure it has to be under warranty

A FERRARI APPROVED TECHNICAL INSPECTION INCLUDES:

• Running gear function tests
    • Electrical system function tests
    • Check of fluid levels
    • Examination of suspension, brakes, cooling system and steering system
    • Secondary controls of air conditioner, instrumentation and safety systems
    • Lights, wheel and tire (tread depth and pressure) function tests
    101 individual points are inspected

5. PJxxx

PJxxx Karting

Sep 14, 2017
    Full Name:
    PJ Cusano
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Think the dealer needs a new comb.

6. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know

First off , welcome to the family !

Should they have caught a battery tender that went bad 3 weeks after the sale, maybe maybe not. If it was working at the time of inspection , then what could be done? For example, a brake light bulb is working when it was inspected, 3 weeks later it burns out, did anyone actually miss anything? Not IMO.

As for the brake squeak, you will notice that there will be times when you have brake noise when coming to a slow speed stop, a lot of which depends on driving style and conditions.

Brake pads are not removed from the caliper for inspection. Wheels come off, brake pad , caliper , rotors are visually inspected as well as electronically inspected , so a crack may not have been noticeable while installed in the caliper itself.

With this said, a cracked brake pad, IMO should have been submitted for warranty. Maybe it was and was denied? I would reach out to the service manager and request a review of the failure and why it would have not been covered under warranty.

This is assuming that the brake pads we not ashy white from all the heat of the previous weekends track event where you turned track record times in your new to you Ferrari ( attempt at humor )

It cannot hurt to ask , at the minimum you will have clarity as to why they were not covered.

S

7. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    How is a battery $1400?

TheDiffuser likes this.
  8. 458Rocco

458Rocco Rookie

Jun 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason A Moreci
    Battery, tender, 2 hours labor

9. 458Rocco

458Rocco Rookie

Jun 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason A Moreci
    Makes sense, thank you!

iloveferrari likes this.
  10. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    That's insane.

I just picked up a 458 as well and the dealer had just charged the former owner $1,895! of shop labor to troubleshoot, remove and replace the radio box that they sent out and paid someone $722 to fix.

11. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Lol at the prices. Battery and tender with labor for $1400. Yikes

12. v35

v35 Karting

May 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    For reference, an Interstate direct replacement battery costs 185.00 and takes an hour to install using Melvok's directions on the forum. An upgraded CTEK battery tender with the Ferrari OEM plug runs 150.00 on eBay. I replaced both recently after getting an Electrical Failure error when the car had trouble starting. Old battery was 3 years old. These cars are very sensitive to old batteries and low voltage. All in, spent $335.00

13. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    +1

14. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Updated Cytek tender,plus Interstate plus installation should at most not been more than 525.00. If however they put the "Ferrari Cytek" in then you basically have paid about right. It is inferior to the Cytek model 7002. I put my original OEM made in China charger away in the front bonnet. It is the step down x 2 model from the 7002 model. The Ferrari sticker is basically what you paid for. When I replaced my battery with the Interstate recently was having problems with the slow start & electrical problem flash if the car sat for 7 days on the tender. Frustrated found a post which corrected the problem. Push down hard on the break peddle when turning the key.Solved the prob as no more hesitation nor electrical flash note on the dash. I believe the push down activates the sensor. Why some appear to be more sensitive than others is a ?
    While were at it here's another electrical fluke- getting gas and the gas door will not open. Always take your keys out of the ignition prior to pushing the release button. Thank you Ferrari of Ft. Lauderdale for that tidbit. No more embarrassing intermittent moments refueling.
    Good motoring! The 458 is a prize that you will enjoy!