Bradan 360 paint damage repair | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Bradan 360 paint damage repair

Discussion in '360/430' started by BRADAN, Sep 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    E60 M5 likes this.
  2. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    good thing he had that film on it to protect the paint... not a fan of overuse of protective film... but looks like a nice repair job will look great when its done...

3. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I dare say, doesn't all of this wipe out the resale value of this car ( flame suit on)?

4. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    So, the owner was trying to have the whole care covered in a clear film, and while they were installing/fitting/removing it they pulled off some clear off?

How much clear did they rip off, just in the pic shown?

Is insurance paying for a complete new paint job?

Not at all since it has already been painted, now it'll be painted right. And besides, unless it has 1,500 miles, gated, and you're trying to sell it for $150,000, I think this car's resale will be just fine.

5. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    My thinking was that this cat now has 2 occurrences of bodywork and repaint. Gated or not there are others without.

Was the owner aware of the previous paint job? You found it (over spray) because you are doing it the correct way.
    That was my rationale

6. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Many Ferrari's have paint work from the factory. I'm not saying that is the case with this car, but these cars get painted more than people would like to admit. Paintwork can also occur at the port of entry due to shipping damage. I have seen new cars come in with numerous blend lines, panels that don't match color wise, broken rockers, etc.

Since this is a "rare" car (manual with a sunroof) and the work being performed is obviously documented, I don't think the owner would take that much of a hit if they ever wanted to sell it. Just my .02

Mickster likes this.
  7. BrianNYC14

BrianNYC14 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2014
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Brian E
    Hey I know that car :)

Appreciate the documenting and feedback. As for the clear bra installation that caused the issue, it's unfortunate paint pulled but it is being fixed well. The two small spots photographed show where the clear coat lifted, small damage but you have to fix it properly. Was almost a non issue, the clear bra was fully applied and finished, but days later we saw a bit of haze on the two panels and decided to reapply the clear bra. That's when it pulled paint. As for resale value, should be fine, who knows, hopefully never sell it. Toughest part has been not having the car to drive this summer while it's in the shop. Been having fun in the 355 though.

JoeTSI, BRADAN and brookliner7 like this.
  8. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Can't wait to see the finished product!

9. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    How so the doors look against pillars and 1/4 panel

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

10. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    In this photo notice the dry spots by the rear bumper and door edge. No base coat was sprayed so the paint would match against the door, bumper, and pillar to fender connection. The full panel was clear coated so there would be no blend but he color is the same as it was agains the edge. Its an illusion for your eye.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. BrianNYC14

Dec 6, 2014
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Brian E
    E60 M5 likes this.
  12. CarbonDan

CarbonDan Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    PNW
    Wow, so awesome to see the full process. Final results look great!

BrianNYC14 likes this.
  13. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    I can't believe that the Whole Car was clear wrapped....

BrianNYC14 likes this.
  14. BrianNYC14

Dec 6, 2014
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Brian E
    Yes had the 360 and both 355's fully paint corrected and then wrapped with a clear bra. Wanted to get the paint looking as close to perfect as possible, and then protect it with the clear (since you can only paint correct these cars so many times before the paint gets too thin).

15. ThunderHill

ThunderHill Rookie

May 23, 2018
    Morris Plains, NJ
    Full Name:
    Toby Smith
    #46 ThunderHill, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    Ripping paint off a pannel with clearbra removal is, of course, possible, but the fact that the clear lifted from the base rather than coming off together is the result of inexcusably bad prep work the last time it was painted. Even a properly reduced cut coat with blendz-in on the edge won't do that if you've prepped the touch-up area properly first.

As to people saying this would grenade the value... Why? It hasn't been in an accident. It wasn't damaged due to neglect, but rather to *excess* care.

If it was a 700 mile time capsule with laminated service records for every car wash since new, that'd be one thing, but it already had some paint, and this latest paint work is very, very nearly comperable to what it received at the factory.

Not to derail the thread, but this kind of mindset is why the average 2004 911 Turbo has like 60,000 miles on it while the average 2004 360 has like 16,000 despite the fact that the 360 and F430 are capable of being run out to six-figure street mileages without driveline failure. Everybody is too nervous to drive their cars because come resale time, the 6th owner wants it in the exact same condition as the first owner... but for 30% of the MSRP. Not realistic.

16. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I have observed that paint on the 360's and 430's seem to be prone to the clear lifting when removing clear bra. There was a car in particular where you could take your thumb nail and actually "scrape" the clear and color off right down to the sealer (all without much effort). Regardless, I agree with Toby about the mileage comparison between Porsche and Ferrari....:(

BrianNYC14 likes this.
  17. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
  18. BRADAN

BANNED

Aug 29, 2009