Buying a GranTurismo --- What to look out for ? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Buying a GranTurismo --- What to look out for ?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by finnerty, May 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    arizonaitalian and HOF Ferrari like this.
  2. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    Looks just like mine, but oddly, your steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car!....Lol

MaseratiMike likes this.
  3. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Lovely cars gents!

I’m getting anxious to see mine...loaded on the truck last Friday...(I hope it has the steering wheel on the proper side!)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

MaseratiMike and Dave rocks like this.
  4. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    Congrats, looks like the same as mine....I took off my Neptune wheels and added the 2018 Astro wheels....I would have kept them if my car had your wheels....You'll love the color

5. MaseratiMike

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    LOL... I've always wondered myself why the left hand drive cars are cheaper to buy (Faulty, Wrongly made). Only kidding - great choice of car and taste you have :)

6. MaseratiMike

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Congratulations as well, enjoy her and the fabulous looks/noise....

CETH likes this.
  7. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Gents - speaking of steering wheels, I have been a bit concerned by the wood-covered steering wheels on these getting hot to the touch when left in the Arizona sun with the top down. What has been your experience with these wheels getting too hot to touch?

8. MaseratiMike

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Unfortunately we don't get the weather in the UK to worry about that issue, not sure if these are plastic wood effect though?

You may need some leather driving gloves....

9. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Yes, they get hot. Remember, it's not wood - it's clear plastic with a wood look under neath. The bigger issue is it's slippery. I hated that wheel on my 2008 and much prefer the all leather wheel of the 2013.

10. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    I agree --- the "wood" steering wheels on these cars suck. Not only do they tend to de-laminate in places after a while, but also they are not sporty enough for these cars, IMHO. The all black, leather trimmed wheels look so much better and are more befitting the car's overall character. It's supposed to be a GT car......not a luxury car.

To me, any car should not be mixing a "wood" wheel with paddle shifters -- it's just incongruous. One is a luxury detail, the other a high performance detail --- so one or the other, but not both, please :).

I don't mind the "wood" trim pieces elsewhere in the cabin, but I would not want anymore of it on my GT (and, I don't as mine has the black leather wheel).

If I wanted a Lexus, I would have bought a Lexus ! :)

arizonaitalian likes this.
  11. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    BTW, here is something that really bugs me --- can anyone help me out please ?

With the engine running and no one in the passenger seat, there is a warning light indicator on the tach gauge that displays --- "Passenger Air Bag Off" --- it stays illuminated constantly while driving, it is bright orange, and I find it very distracting while driving.

The owners manual says this is the way it is supposed to operate, but I would LOVE to find a way to shut the damn thing off (other than having to always have a passenger along or by placing a 75 lb bag of sand in the passenger's seat !).

Anyone know a trick to turn it off ?

Thanks.

12. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    There are far too many "odd little things" about these cars to even risk attempting to catalog all of them

One that keeps hitting me is that I find the dual outlet exhaust tips far more sporty looking than the "GT Sport" gaping single large one on each side. I would rather have those on my sport model...

Same with the front bumper "ducting" area...I prefer the smoother fog light version of the base car over the somewhat out of place aggressive ducted one on the sport model.

I'm hoping the seats are better in some way, because the 10 extra HP is a big shrug and the front end and exhaust tips leave me cold...someone attempt to make me feel better about getting the Sport model? :rolleyes:

Yeah - the wheel is totally wrong in wood on a cabrio. :confused:

Lack of back-up camera is abhorrent at $153k MSRP. (heck even at $50k for that matter) :mad:

The stickies are %*&$@# :mad:

And now I find out I have to stare at that air bag warning :confused:

Yet...its my second maser to go along with one ferrari. Why o why do we do this to ourselves? :eek:

13. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    We just got a nearly full set of GT parts in yesterday to refinish....Even I'll admit the price will bring a tear to your eye. But, I'm sure the owner will fall back in love with his car again once we are done :)

Attached Files:

14. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    hmmm...five figures or still four? (with guesstimate for professional dis-assembly and re-assembly)

15. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Hey...where are some pics of your car? (interior and exterior, we saw the engine compartment!)

16. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'm not familiar with the R&R cost for the GT but I can't imagine it's inexpensive given the amount of work. I can see it easily taking 20 hours. So yeah, probably close to five figures. As you can see from the photos, we also have a sizable amount of disassembly / reassembly as part of the refinishing. Keep in mind, we take the parts completely apart down to every last button.

17. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    As you wish......:)

You know it's funny I have not even had the occasion to take any personal photos of the car yet, so these are from the Dealership (independent) from which I purchased the car.

I'm another big fan of Ocean Blue :) ---- very pretty color and really looks great with the shapes and lines of the GT ! In fact, that was the ONE non-negotiable I had when I was shopping --- exterior color MUST BE Ocean Blue !

Originally, I very much wanted a tan interior as well. But this color --- which looks almost off-white (particularly in the photos), but is actually a very light grey (last photo shows it contrasted against a white towel) --- really grabbed me after I got used to it. I think it gives the car a somewhat "regal" appearance.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

arizonaitalian and Dave rocks like this.
  18. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Stunning! The Coupe really is better looking than the cabrio. The design just sings in the intended coupe form. (don't get me wrong, I just bought the cabrio, so I think its plenty good looking too).

But...wow...your car is stunning! (great combination of color, wood, leather)

Dave rocks likes this.
  19. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Thanks for the compliment ! Of course, I can't take the credit as I am the 2nd owner.

But, the original owner was a Ferrari / Maserati "Primo Cliente", and he did do a factory build-to-order of the color combo and interior spec (I was not even aware one could do this with the GT ?). And, IMO, the guy has very good taste ! I've never seen another with this spec, although I have seen a black one also with a light grey interior ---- though it was a few shades darker, and had the "wood" steering wheel.

The only option not equipped on the car (and I wish it were) is the front parking sensor array.

As you noted, it would be nice to have a rear camera on these cars as visibility is sketchy back there --- though I am sure no problem on the Cabrio with the top down :). In lieu of that, I have come to rely heavily (as I am sure you will also) on the rear parking sensors --- they work well, and incremented distance indicators appear on the central display when activated.

But, they are more helpful for the front end, because the foremost 12 inches or so of the nose of these cars is visually nonexistent from behind the wheel !

Plus, it is a deceptively BIG car --- takes some getting used to navigating in tight spaces.

Does yours have the front sensors ? Someone told me that they became standard equipment on the later model years ?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    So, I don't recall the light staying on in my 2008 but it may have. I do recall seeing it at start up. Since you made this post, I paid attention in my 2013 and it does not do this when running. I'll pay better attention at start up next time.

21. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Yeah, on both a 2014 and a 2015 that I test drove, the light did not stay on ---- so, it must be just on the earlier cars.

I wonder if there is a software upgrade for the airbag ECU that can take care of it ? I'm going to contact my local Dealership and ask.

It really is stupid. We are trained, with driving exotic cars, to constantly watch for and be concerned when bright warning lights are lit up in the instrument cluster !

For the first week, every time I drove the car...... I nearly mistook it for a CEL, or something else serious !

22. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Good grief ---- those parts look like they have been dipped in wet tar !

I've never seen any --- even on a notoriously prone 355 --- get that "sticky" before :eek:

23. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Ha! We see them daily :)

24. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Where r the pictures of your new car?

25. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    As far as the hot steering wheel goes in convertibles - just drape a towel that matches the car over the wheel