Blower fan regulator | FerrariChat

Blower fan regulator

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by AVIMAX, Sep 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Has anyone replaced the blower fan regulator without removing the dash? I have a new regulator arriving and I’ve taken a look at the old part’s location in the RH footwell. It’s visible, but really buried in there behind the expansion valve. I can get the bottom screw out, but it looks like it’s going to be a struggle to get to the top screw.

2. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Ryan, there's been several threads about doing it - unfortunately I don't remember the authors nor do I have links, but do a search for blower regulator or some such and they'll pop up. Nearly everyone complained about that top screw too. IIRC, some used a 90 degree screwdriver to get to it.

3. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Thanks John. I found a few threads about the part needing to be replaced, but nothing about the actual replacement. Usually it was something like "dealer replaced the part and all is good". Yes that top screw is the issue. I will search some more. The 575 WSM says to remove the remove the whole evaporator unit, which means of course removing dash, but I have to believe I can do this without going that far... I hope.

4. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Found the thread you were referring to. The good new is that it's possible to do it without removing the dash, the bad news is it's going to be a real pain.

5. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Ryan, please post up a link to that thread & I'll try to remember to save it this time :)

6. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    I just did it on the 456 last week. It's tricky to get to the top screw, but not impossible. Access is from below, remove the panel under the glovebox . You need a phillips bit about 4cm long and a very thin ratchet. Helps if you have small hands or a small camera.

7. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Glove box is out, just to give a little more room to get under there. I fought with it last night for a Hour or so, but I lost the battle. That top screw is a real pain. I just didn't have the right tools for the job. I had an offset screwdriver, but it did not work because there is not enough room to turn it, you need a ratchet tool. I decided to buy a flexible extension and it fits between the rigid tubes to the expansion valve and lines up with the top screw, but I didn't have a Philips bit at home, it's at my office. So I will try again tonight with the flexible extensions and the Philips bit. The 4cm long bit and a thin ratchet also sounds like a possibility. I should be able to get that screw out tonight, but I am wondering how I will get that top screw back in! How did you get that screw back in without it falling out and loosing it?

Can this be made easier? Looking at the setup, I'd say removing the dash would not help at all. The firewall area behind the airbag is in the way to get proper access to the top screw. The only way to make this easier is to remove the dash and then remove the whole HVAC box, (that is what the 575 WSM says to do).

8. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Haven't yet attempted to put it back in yet, it will be a challenge...@tbakowsky might have an idea?

I don't think, short of disassembling the dash, that there'll be an easier way.

9. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Success!! The flex extension with a #2 philips bit did the trick. Slid it between the two pipes into the expansion valve to reach the top screw. Wiggles the part out, wiggles the new one in and put everything back together. Fan now works as it should. 4 different speeds and it no longer continues to run after turning off the car.

This is one part I don’t want to ever have to change again. I’d rather do the cam belts, including setting cam timing than do this again!!

F456M and tantumaude like this.
  10. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
  11. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Great !
    My tech replaced mine last summer :) didn't know what you were talking about till i saw the part very strange looking thing !

12. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Interesting, mine looks quite different. Four blades as opposed to all those pins.

13. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    P/n 64280200? Should be the same for both 456 and 550.

14. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Yeah, I'm showing the same number, but definitely blades on mine. I should have taken a pic before I sent it to get repaired. I should get it back tomorrow.

15. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Mat, where did you send your to be repaired? I’m thinking of having my original repaired as a backup if not too expensive.

16. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    I'm using a guy I know in Oakville, works in a corner at 3d AV electronics on North Service Road. He's struggling to find a particular diode on the board that needs replacing however--he's had it for almost a month now. I can't really recommend going that route until I know he can find it.

17. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Ok, thanks. My new part is already acting up, same symptoms as last time. Once in a while, a high pitched electronic whine from the blower, but not bearing noise together with fan speeds 1-3 all the same (low) and 4 is full blast. Most of the time all speeds working properly, but this is how it started with the last part, and it took 1 year to finally fail to the point that the fan would stay on with the key removed. So I'm thinking that maybe the part didn't fail on it's own, maybe something else caused it to fail. Or maybe I'm just unlucky and the new part was just bad out of the box and only lasted a few weeks. That's why I thought I'd check if you have someone local that can fix my old part. Ultimately, I might have to get to the fan itself to investigate further, and that doesn't look like it's going to be fun.

18. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    That sucks.

Mine didn't have that problem at all, it only failed to work on settings 1-3. Apparently mine had two fried diodes, and the connector was a bit burned suggesting an electrical fault further up the line.
    Something to consider is a leaky AC drain line. There is a t-junction in the drain lines not far from where the regulator sits, I wouldn't be surprised if some condensation is causing you trouble.

19. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Update: the electronics repair guy was able to find an order the correct diode, which will arrive at some point in the near future hopefully. I'll report back when that happens.

20. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    If it doesn’t work out, you can order a new one from Eurospares for a good price, 145 GBP compared to just over $1,000 CAD the dealer quoted me. Hopefully your guy can fix yours.

21. tantumaude

Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Yeah, scuderiacarparts had the best price shipped to me (US$ 250 or so), but it's the same model as yours with the pins. I'm really wondering how to track down a part number for my blade-type one.