458 - anyone came from or moved onto a Huracan? | FerrariChat

458 - anyone came from or moved onto a Huracan?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by sfcorsa1, Sep 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sfcorsa1

sfcorsa1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2017
    Full Name:
    AVN
    Hey guys,

New member from Socal and I recently started searching for a 458 or a Huracan. Anyone have experience with moving from a Huracan to a 458 or 458 into a Huracan? I'm torn between the two. The Huracan has what I consider a really solid built quality (thanks Audi!) but seems to lack that extra bit that makes Ferrari feel special. Test drove both and still torn afterwards. I think I need a bit more seat time in the 458.

My past cars includes a 570s and several 991 GT3s / Turbos, AMG, R8s. So pretty much has experienced everything except Lamborghini and Ferrari. Any advice / experience shared would be really helpful :) Thank guys!

2. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    I had 458, Huracan, Huracan Performante and now 488.

If you look for the best handling, brakes, frame.... just go for Huracan.

If you need emotions go for 458

3. F12JAJ

F12JAJ Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    California
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Your R8 is essentially (depending on the model) a tuned down Lambo. If it’s a newer model then it’s essentially same but for some tweaks to the suspension etc. if you absolutely loved your R8 then go with the Huracan, however a Ferrari a whole different experience. I had 5 Lambos prior to jumping over to Ferrari and I would never go back personally speaking. Love my 458 Speciale.

iloveferrari and Euroryno like this.
  4. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    Drive the Performante.

5. sfcorsa1

sfcorsa1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2017
    Full Name:
    AVN
    I did and love it but out of range for me at this time. It’s definitely on the list for the future

6. sfcorsa1

sfcorsa1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2017
    Full Name:
    AVN
    The Speciale is on my list of great cars that are must-haves! I love my R8 but hated the look of it. I think the Lambo looks much better but not quite as good as the 458. At this time I’m leaning towards the Italia.

F12JAJ likes this.
  7. sfcorsa1

sfcorsa1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2017
    Full Name:
    AVN
    Definitely want both. I guess 488 might be best combo but still out of my budget for now.

8. ArtOnWheels

ArtOnWheels Rookie

Sep 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Full Name
    I went to a car show last week. The gate guys asked me to go park my 458 beside a Hurrican because they didn't like Lambos and guaranteed he would leave within 10 minutes. I did so not because I dislike them in any way but it just seemed appropriate that I park beside another exotic. He left within 10 minutes.

boobernackle likes this.
  9. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Performante is a perfect monster. 488 an incredible emotion.

Jordan68 and Viperjoe like this.
  10. jyupitt

jyupitt Karting

Jul 14, 2015
    Nyc/Nj
    I had 991 TTS cab techart/cobb tuned, Huracan stock, 650s Spider tuned, now 488 Spider stock
    Below is how I rank them, personal view of course and some cars were tuned. All in all 4 cars were pretty close in terms of performance.

Fun factor: 488>650s>Huracan>TTS
    Attention: Huracan>650s>488>TTS
    Power: TTS>650s>488>Huracan
    Handling: All about the same to me
    Braking: TTS>Huracan>488>650s
    Interior tech: Huracan>488>TTS>650s
    Practicality: TTS>488>650s>Huracan

11. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    If you want a Huracan go for the Performante model.
    I found the standard models to be surprisingly unengaging to drive. If you really want a Huracan at the base price point, definitely opt out of the dynamic steering option.

12. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    huh??

13. sfcorsa1

sfcorsa1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2017
    Full Name:
    AVN
    performante (and speciale) are on my list as must-haves cars at some point. For now I'm perfectly happy to get a huracan or 458 within my budget. I agree with you that the dynamic steering thing has to go - I hated that option when I did my test drive. Felt confusing, unnecessary, and dumb - I felt like they added this option for the lazy people we can't handle turning the steering wheel at low speed.

I also couldn't disagree fully in regards to the base huracan being unengaging to drive. Might be due to the fact that I didn't push any of the cars I drove very hard, but it just felt a bit "too comfortable". Made me miss my mclaren 570s. However, there is something to be said about the quality of the finishing and the car just felt very solid overall - more than any other exotic in my price range.

The 458 felt amazing and just hard wired into your brain and becomes a part of you. It felt faster than the Huracan (yes I know the H is faster by a hair). I wish the most of the 458 has some tech and decent options - it's hard to find a car that has camera / sensors / carbon interior / race seats - maybe I'm too picky haha.

14. sfcorsa1

sfcorsa1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2017
    Full Name:
    AVN
    This is very helpful so thank you. I'm actually shocked at a few of your rankings.

Huracan gets more attention than a 488? I'm shocked! I really love the look of the 488 but I guess to the average person the huracan just looks crazy. When I had the 570s everyone thought it was an alien spaceship. I'm actually also shocked that you ranked the huracan above the 650s in this area as well. But that's a great thing to know. Maybe people just think the lambo looks outrageous lol.

The interior tech is one area where I was worried on the 458. I really like having at least the basic: decent stereo with bluetooth audio (non-existent in the 458), back up sensors and cameras, I think the huracan also has comfort entry? (where the steering wheel and seat moves for easier entry/reentry

15. Gonzales25

Gonzales25 Rookie

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    I think I recognize your name from the R8 forum? I moved from my 2012 V10 R8 into a 2012 458 and simply love it... To me the 458 looks perfect from every angle, I do miss the exhaust note of the V10 (with Topgear exhaust) but my full Fabspeed exhaust is quite loud..

16. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    I'm on my 3rd Ferrari now with the 458, just coming off a Gallardo (which is for sale). Even a Gallardo got WAY more attention than any of the Ferraris. You couldn't go past more than a couple cars without someone taking a video of you. It was kind of annoying. The Ferraris, even the 458, don't seem to get nearly as much attention. They're just not as over the top as a Ferrari.

sfcorsa1 likes this.
  17. jyupitt

jyupitt Karting

Jul 14, 2015
    Nyc/Nj
    Attention when you are in a huracan vs 488 is not comparable. In the huracan I get thumbs up everywhere and strangers Image Unavailable, Please Login jumping into the street screaming. In the 488 I’m pretty much invisible. My 650s was wrapped in crazy colors and still, huracan gets more noticed.

My huracan did not have comfort entry or even electric steering column adjustment. No memory seats either. Then again it was the first year model.

Here is are pix Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login of my huracan and mclaren

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Baitschev and sfcorsa1 like this.
  18. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    It's a different crowd in the Lamborghini forums too. Guys there do dumb stuff to their cars to get extra attention. Ferrari guys don't seem to want extra attention and keep things stock.

iloveferrari, sfcorsa1 and Chadly like this.
  19. Euroryno

Euroryno Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Interesting observation. I’m not surprised at all but still an interesting point. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Base cars are challenging to compare. I think the Huracan came after the Italia, so it has better numbers.

I can compare the Speciale and Performante. Liked them both but keeping the Speciale and selling the Performante.

Comes down to the “specialness” of a Ferrari. There is something fantastic about the Speciale. They definitely made more Performantes. Plus, there will inevitably be another, better Huracan model. The Speciale was the last and best 458 coupe. Also the last naturally aspirated Ferrari 8.

Both were good track cars (for street cars).

plastique999 likes this.
  21. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    R8 is a timeless beauty. I personal adore it.

22. arkone

arkone Karting

Nov 20, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Mo

Was in the same boat as you OP and test drove both cars numerous times. Opted for a fully-loaded 458 Italia as my first foray into exotics. Love the car and put about 2k miles on it over the summer. Going to be swapping it out for a '13 or a '14 458 Spider and then hopefully into a Huracan Perfomante once those prices come down after SVJs start being delivered and the Perfomante Spyder is more prominent in the US

sfcorsa1 likes this.
  23. sfcorsa1

sfcorsa1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2017
    Full Name:
    AVN
    Crazy to hear that as the 458/488 are so beautiful but I guess they’re not as “aggressive” looking. Every time I see a 458 I just love how it looks gorgeous in every angle. The huracan just had that fighter jet look.

24. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    My wife thinks the 458 is boring looking. She's always loved Lamborghinis. She wanted me to buy a new Huracan.

I think everything about the 458 is perfect, wouldn't change a thing.

jyupitt and Ash Patel like this.
  25. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    and my wife is the opposite, she tells me that she will divorce me (I think she is serious) if I get a Lambo, they look to aggressive in her mind and the doors are just weird in her opinion --> I'm still considering if it's worth it or not to be a bachelor all over again