Re-dying leather seats in the Austin area? | FerrariChat

Re-dying leather seats in the Austin area?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by 2cam, Sep 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Hey there! Have any of you guys had leather upholstery work performed in the Austin area? Anyone that you would recommend to re-dye a set of leather seats?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

2cam

2. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I had this exact thing done to my black 360 seats. Austin Auto Interiors in round rock did the work. I think it was $200 a seat IIRC. Looked like new.

You can also try jay at Just Like New Interiors. Moorespeed used him as have other owners.
    512-644-4476
    Justlikenewinteriors.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

3. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Thanks Bob! I'll look into those.

2cam

4. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    The '85 Mondial QV Cab I purchased from a private seller was left at Moorespeed in Austin to have some additional work performed. I had the front seats and door panels restored/redyed. The back seats were fine as is. The driver's seat was of course the one which required the most attention due to cracking at the front of the lower portion of the seat, and the surface of the leather was even worn through at one location. I was told that Leatherique products were being used, and presumably then the work was done by Just Like New Interiors. Moorespeed will not reveal who they are farming work out to, and I am in PA so I couldn't swing by to observe anything. The work performed with the leather crack filler was very good (not perfect, but very good), and once the seat was redyed it was night and day compared to how it looked previously. The passenger side front seat and both door panels came out looking practically brand new. The passenger side front seat did have some sort of blue jean stain on it and that is completely gone or covered. Yes most of this is work that the owner of the car could do, but I didn't feel comfortable with the crack filler portion of the job.

5. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Fantastic! Great to hear! Did you buy Chris Warren's car?

Thanks!

2cam

6. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    Yes, loving it each time I get to take it out for a drive. The car was well-maintained, and even the AC blows ice cold. Typical minor Ferrari quirks such as the fan speed dial only working on high one day, and then slower speeds the next day, gauge readings going up slightly when the headlights are on, oil pressure looking seemingly low on the gauge when it's in fact fine (warning light does not come on), etc. But no real surprises however. This being my first Ferrari, I asked Chris a LOT of question while contemplating purchasing the car. This was after reading up on the marque for approximately a year. He very patiently responded to everything with texts, e-mails, driving videos, phone calls. He was very up front that it was not his preference to restore the interior while he owned the car, instead focusing on the mechanical side of things. I will say I was able to hit the ground running with this car as soon as I was able to have it transported here to PA and received my PA antique plates. We kept having nor'easter snowstorms last winter into the spring, and I ended up having the car stored at Moorespeed on their wall unit rack for four months until I felt the weather had finally changed for the better. I had the interior items taken care of while the car was at Moorespeed, along with some other minor items and a detailing. I felt this Connolly leather type of expertise just did not exist in my immediate vicinity. This car has that raw classic Ferrari sports car feel in droves. I'm just glad that the car model had the ugly duckling stigma (for lack of a better term) for so long, keeping the prices down somewhat. I absolutely love the styling and I believe I got in just under the wire before prices begin to increase substantially. My other weekend toy is a numbers-matching '71 Mustang Mach 1 429 CJ-R 4 speed, so I have both ends of the driving spectrum covered- high rpm powerband operation and low rpm torque monster.

7. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    VERY cool! Glad that you're enjoying the car and thanks for the personal Moorespeed/Just Like New recommendation. That Mach 1 sounds incredible! I had a '71 Xr-7 with that same motor. Unfortunately, it had a C6 instead of a 4 speed behind it. Yes, crazy torque for sure.... ;)

2cam