1995 F355 GTS: Restoration and Major Service | Page 34 | FerrariChat

1995 F355 GTS: Restoration and Major Service

Discussion in '348/355' started by MAD828, Jul 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Ah.. I was looking at the Ricambi catalogue and could only find two on the "Instruments" page... the 157197 which was superseded by 165255.... so I assumed they were identical. There were no pictures for these. However, using your numbers above to search the Ricambi site, I found the other two. I see the 1710171 switch actually has SPORT written on it (I assume this matches the SPORT annunciator on the F1 car). What's the 171288 switch? (I see a shock absorber symbol without a spring around it).

How do you know which switch to order in a particular country? (other than looking for numbers on the switch and assuming the correct one was fitted beforehand)

2. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

If Dave doesn’t know for certain (which I’d be surprised if he doesn’t) you may want to contact Andrew at Maranello parts. They may be able to help:

http://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/

3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Ian, 99% of the cases, when a part number is superseded, it because of a design change. However, it also often means the new part will work in place of the old part.

The switch that has the "SPORT" icon is only for F1 cars.

We are really going O/T so I will leave it with this until we move to a new thread:

Early switches have a thin more rectangular lever and the switch body (not seen) is taller. Later have oval the thick levers.

4. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Some updates to the restoration of my 1995 F355 GTS as I prepared for the 2018 Ferrari Concours and aimed to further improve the car since its last showing.

Challenge grill was swapped out for the solid panel.

One of the more controversial changes I made earlier in the thread was to paint the clutch cover in an alloy colour. I decided to remove the clutch assembly and strip the coating whilst I was changing out the capristo exhaust for the OEM muffler. All in the aim of making the car as factory as possible.

After it was stripped I replaced the clutch line bracket for a new one, fitted a new clutch bleed nipple and rubber bleed valve cover.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

f355spider and Dave rocks like this.
  5. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Y pipe was removed and polished up (it goes golden with heat).

CV boot heat shield brackets were replaced with new plated items, the fiberglass covers repainted and installed.

Exhaust tips were polished out with metal polish to bring out the chrome shine on the tips.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Maranello550 and Qavion like this.
  6. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    The exhaust brackets I had restored previous but had known some elements were not factory correct. I got around to fixing them to a more factory finish. Originally they are CAD plated which is no longer available in Australia, so I had them zinc plated but they were too bright.

The exhaust brackets aren’t available new any more so refinishing the old parts was my only option.

So I pulled them apart and coated them in a high temp paint that matched the CAD plated colour. The bolts and nuts were replaced with new correctly plated items at this time too. It looks a lot better IMO. Unfortunately this was done post concours as I was in Italy and ran out of time to get this done.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
  8. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
  9. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I removed the original delivering dealer sticker from the rear window, I liked it for originality but it was costing me marks for concours as it wasn’t installed at the factory.

Before it came off I made sure I could replicate it exactly and had it remade.

I was also in need of an engine bay sticker that I had removed due to it looking very tatty. I had it remade to exact size and fitted it next to the reproduced catalyst sticker. All Australian delivered cars had this sticker from new, not sure for overseas markets tbought, it’s also on the 360 and CS delivered here.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    A before and after side by side.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Final touches were just to clean absolutely everywhere (including the door latches) and adding wax to the car.

Here is a compilation of pics including some of the car on the day of the concours.

1 day after concours the stock exhaust was removed for the Capristo 2/3 and I can’t wait to drive it with that on again. The stock exhaust is just not exciting when you ring it out. But does sound good at idle and cruising speed.

Future work will entail, refinishing of the main center undertray, new Pirelli P zero tyres (factory correct ones), some more sticky RX refinishing and a couple more odds and ends. It’s really come along way now and I’m quite proud of it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    I also attended the concourso however just in the display. Elliott has really taken his car to next level. His devotion to concourse is at 'pro' level. His car is simply stunning. Wishing you every success with the results mate.

Attached Files:

Rossocorsa1, MAD828 and Dave rocks like this.
  12. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Absolutely fantastic Elliott. There’s no way you have a wife / girlfriend !
    They would never allow the time necessary for this effort.

13. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Thanks- however I’m happily married 10 years this year and have two wonderful kids and a business. I met my wife through cars... She gets me!

Yassa and Dave rocks like this.
  14. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    This has been an amazing thread, keep up the great work my friend. Btw, have you ever been dinged on judging for polishing the Y pipe? Are the judging standards similar to the FCA here in North America?

MAD828 likes this.
  15. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    That’s really great. Wish mine “got it”.

MAD828 likes this.
  16. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I polished it out to remove the water marks and stains on it. Once it heat cycles the colour goes dull very quickly, but remains uniform. The best way would be to media blast it perhaps and that might clean it up without the shine. But yeah it doesn’t stay shiny for more than 1 decent drive.

I believe the judging standards are identical. A platinum car here is a platinum car over there.

f355spider likes this.
  17. Maranello550

Maranello550 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2011
    HongKong
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Elliot I think Qantas still does in house cad plating. I can talk to one of my QF engineer mates if you want it done in future( if indeed they still do it).

MAD828 likes this.
  18. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
  19. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    As you should be!

You're one of few that has this attention to detail.

As always, very impressive. Love what you have done with it.

Dave rocks and MAD828 like this.
  20. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Thanks James, much appreciated.

Dave rocks likes this.
  21. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Perfect summary. That is so perfect, nothing to add.

Rock on :)

MAD828 likes this.
  22. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Ditto

MAD828 likes this.
  23. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Thanks Dave! It’s great to see on this forum some really passionate F355 custodians who are like minded, I have learnt something from everyone.

Dave rocks likes this.
  24. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    My custom ordered Pirelli P Zero’s finally landed after an extensive wait from the factory. These are the original period correct tyres the car was delivered with when new.

They look ‘right’ and I feel it has taken the car even closer to that factory correct look. The tyres were produced in July 2018 so are as fresh as can be too.

Fitted and mounted they replaced my old MPSS tyres.

Will test them out soon.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

f355spider and Qavion like this.
  25. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    My 98 came with Michelin from the factory as it was listed on the window sticker. I wonder if it was area specific or just a change from 95?