Ferrari F355 crank thrust bearings | FerrariChat

Ferrari F355 crank thrust bearings

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by dr fabio del rio, Sep 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dr fabio del rio

Dec 4, 2015
    Hi Everyone,
    I am currently replacing the Aux timing pulley gear bearings the sump pan is removed and thought it a good time to replace the crank shaft thrust bearings as they are getting to the top limit of wear I have done this job before on other engines by removing the bearing cap and sliding the thrust bearings out before I start I was wondering if anyone has done this on the F355 ?? any advise or info would be greatly appreciated thanks
    Fabio.

2. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    The cap thrust bearing has the tap for anti rotation. Once the cap is off, you can roll the thrust bearing into the block and then put the cap back on. Should be easy to do if you have the pan off for something else anyway.

3. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Is this an issue on the 355? I never hear much about main bearing thrust wear?

4. dr fabio del rio

Dec 4, 2015
    Hi Wade,
    As I thought thank you for confirming this for me kind of you to take the time to help
    Best wishes,
    Fabio.

Ferrari Tech likes this.
  5. dr fabio del rio

Dec 4, 2015
    Hi ago car nut,
    I don’t believe the thrust bearings are an issue on this crank set up it’s just general wear and tear the thrust bearings are ok on my car but getting to the top limit so it’s good practice to replace them while I have the sump pan off
    Best wishes
    Fabio.

6. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    How many miles on your car

7. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    It is an issue with cars that have aggressive clutch set up. Not an issue with 355s since the clutch is on the back. On 355s the cam drive has a bevel gear and loads the the thrust bearing, again, not enough to kill it but could be a wear point issue. I have had two cars that had thrust issues. I can see OPs preventative measure, just knock it out while you are there.

8. dr fabio del rio

Dec 4, 2015
    That’s correct on this set up when the clutch is operated the slave cyl pushes the clutch/flywheel assembly towards the rear of the car
    All the forces act on the large double row bearing in the pumpkin housing on a normal set up the forces push on the crankshaft ie pushing the crankshaft towards the front of the car the trust bearings take this force as merlin tech explains on the f355 the aux cam drive system uses 3 helical cut gears and under load the force pushes the crankshaft back to the rear onto the thrust bearing this force loads and unloads with engine rpm the thrust bearing is not under big stress but it will make it and other components life easier by using a top quality oil when I get time I will post some pictures of the thrust bearing and cap when I remove it.

9. dr fabio del rio

Dec 4, 2015
    Hi Taz355,
    My car has done 45k Miles it’s just run in !

10. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Yes barely.

Just curious for others wh have similar mileage