mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo | Page 48 | FerrariChat

mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by darkkaangel, Jul 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    If you are expecting “exotic” you should temper that. I’ve argued all along that this is a $60-65K car that needs to get traction in Europe - styling will be derivative and conservative.

So far, that appears to be the case...

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It looks "familiar".

Some think that's good, some think it's boring.

But its nothing we haven't seen before out of GM

rdefabri likes this.
  3. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Agreed. Honestly, I’m a little underwhelmed. No reason it couldn’t have been like the Cien or something moving like the Elise or 4C.

4. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    That last batch of photoshops have the proportions wrong.

5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    slm and TheMayor like this.
  6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    ^ Lutz is correct in his assessment of the car industry which is very depressing to most of us. The age of the car nut is coming to an end.

anunakki, rdefabri and jm2 like this.
  7. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I hope he's right about the sticker price too. Only $5k more than comparably trimmed C-7's.

8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  9. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

If the costs are anything close to what Lutz is saying, it will be fun, fast with a crap interior and lots of plastic. But maybe with some luck, there will be options lists like the 60s or an aftermarket waiting to upgrade.

Regardless it's about kicking the teeth of the NFGT at a fraction the cost. Go GM, Go!

10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Better. I still think the side scoops look a bit weird. White tends to take away all detail.

To me there is something really odd going on here... almost like someone glued two different cars together. Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #1186 TheMayor, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    But he also says what my concern is... that the bean counters will cut the car so deeply to get to that price they will sacrifice the car for it.

Lutz's discussion of what happened to the Solstace is classic -- in corporate stupidity

And 435 HP engine today is OK but not really going to shake up the market. A lot depends on the performance numbers as this thing might be a bit heavy compared to the competition.

Lastly, I've said for years Corvette should be it's own brand and branch out -- but GM won't do that to protect Cadillac. Another dumb corporate decision. Look at what BMW and Audi have been doing in upscale sports sedans and SUV. There's no reason why Corvette couldn't have the same brand mystique.

randkin and boxerman like this.
  12. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
  13. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Lutz left GM in 2010 so he's still talking about the C6 Powerplant (LS3). The LT1 in the C7 is 460HP and my guess is the base engine in the C8 will be another version of the SBC with 500 - 525HP.

14. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    If it looks like that, has around 500hp, and isn't too heavy, they're going to have a real winner on their hands (assuming its pricing is roughly in line with current pricing).

rdefabri likes this.
  15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Chevy base model pricing is pretty misleading. Most go for the mid level as the base is really bare bones and the dealers rarely stock them.

I'm still guessing most will walk out of the showroom for 85K even if the base price is about 70. Still an amazing bargain but I'm sure its going to urk a lot of current owners.

crinoid and rdefabri like this.
  16. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I agree - it will be a fun car at a good price. Don’t expect a Pagani, it’s not. It’s a Corvette.

17. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    I'd guess the average base model will leave the showroom somewhere between $75k and $80k, but we'll see. Even at $85k I think it's should be a winner.

18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    That's about 20 grand more than the C7 base (if you can find one). Right now you can get brand new C7's at a big discount. The average Vette buyer is very budget conscience.

19. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    But, what do base model C7's really cost? Like you said, they start at $57k, but isn't selling price closer to $65k-$70k?

Phil~ likes this.
  20. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    Yeah, rarely see new C7''s with no options

21. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Brand mystic of a BMW or an Audi? Uh, yeah, OK. I'll take my Corvettes over those two-especially most of their newest models. I care about the drive-not some imaginary poseur status. A Camaro drives better than most new BMWs, much less the Corvette. And, no I don't want a Corvette SUV.

22. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #1197 TheMayor, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    So you now want to question the why there are superior sales of Audi and BMW over Cadillac? Really?

23. Donatella

Donatella Karting

Aug 26, 2007
    US
    Good marketing and PR. It's hard to change the GM image that has been created over the years even though things have improved significantly.
    As they say perception is reality...

Boomhauer likes this.
  24. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #1199 TheMayor, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    Completely agree and exactly my point.

That's why there is more brand equity in expanding Corvette than this is in trying to resurrect Caddy into something it isn't. Every time GM has tried to "rebrand" it's brands, it's failed. In fact it even gave up at one point and decide to create Saturn because it felt the concept wouldn't fit any of its existing brands. They were better off folding Oldsmobile than trying to make it "Saturn".

Corvette has a positive brand statement for what it is. Even Chevy is taking off the bow ties in the logos to try to make it seem "less Chevy" and "more Corvette".

Its now a "Corvette Stingray" and not a "Chevy Corvette". Next step, Corvette Zora then Corvette whatever.

25. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Corvette La Corvette?

TheMayor likes this.