Traveling to Santa Barbara/San Diego for Honeymoon--Suggestions? | FerrariChat

Traveling to Santa Barbara/San Diego for Honeymoon--Suggestions?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by juliei, Sep 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. juliei

juliei Formula Junior
    Owner

Apr 5, 2009
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Julie I.
    Getting married (our second chance at love) on October 12 and traveling from SC to SB 4 nights and SD 3 nights October 14-20. We have the hotel in SB but are looking for suggestions for hotel in SD and restaurants in both cities. Any suggestions? I understand the Del Coronado is historic and a must see. We want to be near the water. I hear the Fess Parker Winery would be a good choice for a visit, too. We love great food but tend to like the places only the "locals" know about. Thanks in advance!

2. High Sierra

High Sierra Karting

Jul 29, 2007
    AGL
    Full Name:
    Britt
    You can’t beat the Hotel Del Coronado. Old world charm on the waters edge!

shawdut likes this.
  3. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Hotel Del is nice but it is out of the way and not much else going on there. Very touristy. San Diego has developed a very fun downtown gas light district. Lots of bars and good restaurants. Big night life. If you are into that then the Hard Rock Hotel might be a better choice.

4. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    I would say it depends on your interests. Give us an idea and we can point you in the right direction.

juliei likes this.
  5. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Biltmore Hotel in SB or Bacarra are great. Wine Cask for dinner in SB as well

juliei likes this.
  6. shawdut

shawdut Formula Junior

May 30, 2014
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Shawn D

Yes to these two!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

juliei likes this.
  7. jbarbakow

jbarbakow Karting

Mar 6, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Barbakow
    The Lark in SB is excellent and fun. Agree that the Wine Cask is also worth trying. My anniversary is October 14th

8. juliei

juliei Formula Junior
    Owner

Apr 5, 2009
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Julie I.
    Thank you! We have taken a look online and it looks stunning. My Dad lived in San Diego for a while and said we must go there.

9. juliei

juliei Formula Junior
    Owner

Apr 5, 2009
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Julie I.
    We do enjoy great food and wine the Gas Lamp District may bring, as well as being able to get out of the hotel and walk around to see the sites. We saw the Marriott there near the yacht basin and think it might be a possibility. Thank you!

10. juliei

juliei Formula Junior
    Owner

Apr 5, 2009
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Julie I.
    We like really great food and wine, as well as exotic cars--haha. David loves boats and may look at one or two while we are out there. Thinking, too, we might get a Cirrus lesson and fly to Catalina Island one day. I have had some transition training in the Cirrus, but didn't solo in it. I have a friend who knows the woman who owns Fess Parker Winery near SB, so we might do a day trip there, too. I have an email in to her. Thank you!

11. juliei

juliei Formula Junior
    Owner

Apr 5, 2009
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Julie I.
    Thank you! We made reservations at Bacarra and will look into the Wine Cask for dinner, too.

12. juliei

juliei Formula Junior
    Owner

Apr 5, 2009
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Julie I.
    Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary!! October is a great month to have one. David and I met on October 12th several years ago, so that is why we are getting married that day. Then his birthday is on the 15th and mine on the 16th, so we will be doing some celebrating.

13. juliei

juliei Formula Junior
    Owner

Apr 5, 2009
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Julie I.
    Perfect. Great to get a back up recommendation.

14. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Forgot to mention that they’re part of Amex fine hotels if you have platinum or centurion. The resort is huge! There really isn’t much beach access though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

juliei likes this.
  15. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    For San Diego:

I would recommend L’Auberge in Del Mar. Close to the beach and freeway.

In La Jolla, avoid the Cove. The smell from birds and sea lions has become unpleasant, to put it mildly. But the La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club on the Shores is a nice option.

I’ve stayed at the Hotel Del in Coronado. It’s very dated but the location is beautiful. If you go big, get a cabana.

Restaurants is a whole ‘nuther list.

juliei likes this.
  16. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Agree with beng's post. Hotel Del, great to see, have a drink, walk around, etc. Overpriced and dated rooms, other places nearby are a lot better deal. Check Travelzoo and Yelp for reviews /deals.
    Since you like flying, go to the Glider port on the cliffs, free, fun, and surprisingly good snack bar.

juliei likes this.
  17. bmw_e30

bmw_e30 Karting

Sep 25, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    juliei likes this.