Asking for advice, Soon to be first time Ferrari owner | FerrariChat

Asking for advice, Soon to be first time Ferrari owner

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by CptJoe1983, Sep 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CptJoe1983

CptJoe1983 Rookie

Aug 4, 2017
    Hello everyone, I will be purchasing my first Ferrari soon. Just sold my Maserati granturismo, a car i loved. I will be most likely buying a California as it has backseats for my 3yo and my wife loves that it is a convertible. I've read a lot about the DCT issues and i know i want to avoid those year cars. Am i correct that the 2012 and newer Cali's should be clear of the issue? Also if i am correct about 2012 and newer being dct issue free is there any other major gremlins with a 2012 or 2013 cali that i should be weary of? Thank you for any adive, also if you have any experience with the 612 I'd love to hear your opinion on those as well. Would they be as DD friendly as the cali?

2. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    From what I have seen on this forum,the DCT wiring issue continued through 2012. Also,there was an engine recall in 2012.

3. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    MYs 2013 and 2014 are the California 30-an improvement over 2009 to 2012,especially with the HS (handling) option. And 2015 and later gets you the turbo.

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Exactly this IMO. I think the Cali 30 is the sweet spot in price-to-performance ratio. Handling Speciale package is rare, but the reviews here seem to indicate it is a worthy upgrade. I recall reading that it can be added by an authorized dealer (but I'd look about to confirm). In addition to DCT sensors - it always seems to be the sensor as opposed to something mechanical - the hard top convertible is the other $$$ item if it needs to be fixed/replaced out of warranty. The other thing I would be on the lookout for is the original battery/tender - if they have not been replaced, perhaps negotiate that into your price. I'd upgrade the OEM to the CTEK 7002 if you have HELE/AGM battery. Finally, if you plan to DD it, or even semi-DD it, I would wrap the car in PPF, and then enjoy the heck out of it. I cannot comment on the 612 - although it is a lovely car - but I'd be worried about the age on those, and I would bet (w/ no proof, so this is a guess on my part) that the Cali's DCT is superior to the 612's F1 transmission for stop-and-go DD traffic situations. I have read here on F-chat, that 612's back seats are more spacious than Cali, which I can believe, because Cali seats are not comfortable for anyone larger than a small - medium child or (in my case) a 30 lb terrier. Good luck w/ your choice...T

5. CptJoe1983

CptJoe1983 Rookie

Aug 4, 2017
    Thank you for all the info, after reading you guys replies im definitely gona shoot for the cali 30. Sounds to be the best option for my needs and i love NA motors. How are the roofs with the cali 30's? Are they reliable?

6. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    I had a ‘14 cali 30. The most logical upgrade after the mas gt. It handles a lot better than the gt. You won’t regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. CptJoe1983

CptJoe1983 Rookie

Aug 4, 2017
    Sasso, i was kind of nervous about selling the Maserati. Such an enjoyable car to drive. One of the slowest i had ever owned but just so much daily enjoyment. So i figured stepping up could only bring more enjoyment. Thanks for the input

8. jomarti1

jomarti1 Karting

Feb 27, 2017
    S. Florida
    CptJoe I'm in the same path. Sent you a private message. Check it out.

9. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    It does have a backseat, but have you tried to fit a car seat in one with 2 adults in the front? Looks quite tight back there, maybe a booster seat will work.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. OwenC

OwenC Karting

Aug 12, 2017
    My first Ferrari was a 2013 Cali 30 with HS and have moved on since. Didn't have DCT problems and had several other issues such as...

- rear trunk not closing properly after putting back the roof -> minor fix on alignment in the trunk by the dealer
    - computer error lights -> car definitely needs to be plugged to a battery tender religiously every week, known Ferrari issue
    - sticky buttons everywhere -> known Ferrari issue, dealer offered to strip the rubber coating and repaint it black
    - roof squeaks -> but kind of common with many hard top convertibles, especially in bad road conditions
    - paint gets chipped easily -> Ferrari paint seems to be on the soft side, I got some chips after just a few hundred km's. Had Xpel film installed to solve it.

When the car is running well, it feels very special. It is nice to have a Ferrari and I think everyone who loves cars and can afford such should try at least once.

However, you have to be ready for electrical, build quality, and in my opinion, design issues you don't normally encounter with other makes. This is my experience compared to owning other sports cars from Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Lamborghini, and various Japanese brands.