Exclusive Ferrari Track day events | FerrariChat

Exclusive Ferrari Track day events

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Mcbillers, Aug 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mcbillers

Mcbillers Rookie

Aug 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris Gardner
    Trying to gauge interest from the Ferrari community for setting up exclusive track day events that are limited to Ferraris only. One of the main hurdles in fully experiencing the performance of Ferraris is the various restrictions of use on public roads. The option of tracking a Ferrari in mixed run groups comes with it’s own set of problems (everyone trying to outbreak, corner or pass your Ferrari in their 25k track car ). There seem to be no Ferrari only track events anywhere. Is this something that anybody would have an interest in participating in provided a Ferrari only track day was offered at your local track ?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I think you'll find many Owners Clubs and dealers already do this

SAFE4NOW and jcurry like this.
  3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Many do this like http://www.autoclubspeedway.com/Tickets-and-Events/Events/Schools-and-Clubs/Fast-Toys/Fast-Toys-September-6.aspx who is doing an event at the same track same time as The local Ferrari dealers in Socal. Maybe they bought a run group or maybe Fast Toys is running the show. I don't know the relationship but it is being done.

Speed ventures in Socal also runs an exotic only run group so you don't get hazzed and beaten by the Vettes. I am sure there are others in other areas.

But make no mistake whether you are next to another Ferrari or a cheap vette the potential for wrecking your Ferrari is the same. The rule is don't take it to the track unless you can afford to write it off. That's why many Ferrari owners track something else.

SAFE4NOW and Ira Schwartz like this.
  4. stibbett

stibbett Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Simon Tibbett
    I'd recommend joining a car club like the Drivers Club at Road Atlanta or one of the many motorsport country clubs across the country.

Either way, Ferraris only or not, you're putting your car at risk but a very very small risk. At a track day, you the driver are more than likely the one to crash the car, not someone else hitting it. If a Miata comes up to pass you point him by and question why he caught you. ;)

SAFE4NOW, open roads and FCat360 like this.
  5. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i'd argue your putting your car at a greater risk driving in atlanta traffic......

SAFE4NOW and stibbett like this.
  6. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I agree! Most are worried about rock chips. The key is not to follow others too closely. I exercise my pristine garage queen 550 with modified suspension and I am dying to try this rubberized protective coating that you roller on and peel off after your trackday. Blue take and"track tape" is just a hassle to use and looks lame too.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  7. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It may be sacrilege to say this here, but I actually have felt less safe at dedicated, Ferrari only track days.

Why? Because let’s face it, that’s probably the only time many of those drivers have been on a track, Ferrari owners do tend to be aggressive type A personalities, and everyone thinks they are Senna reincarnated. The biggest track day wrecks I have seen have been at FCA track days because inexperienced drivers have pushed their high horse power cars way past their abilities to handle them.

I recall one wreck years back that totaled a new off the lot 458 in the warm up session first thing in the morning because the driver pushed it on the first lap. First lap, first session, damp track, and this guy went for the track record. Stupid.

And let’s not even talk about the number of ignored flags, dive bomb passes in braking zones, shouting matches with course marshalls about why they shouldn’t have been black flagged...

Yes, I’ve had some great FCA track days and hope to have many more, but by and large they are not as safe or enjoyable as the non marque specific ones with attendees that are more car and track enthusiast than brand enthusiast.

SAFE4NOW, boxerman and FCat360 like this.
  8. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    Hey billybob, check out this new product.

https://protectnpeel.com/

track day paint protection made in So. Cal.
    Wonder if it is the same stuff??????????????

Craig

9. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    Not sacrilege, truth.
    I prefer to track my 360 with my P Car friends at PCA / POC events.
    I know that I can "trust" them

Manda racing likes this.
  10. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Don't know but costs more per gallon.

11. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I’m interested. Fwiw

I’m running Oct 6,7 with Scud at WSIR.

West coast racing if I remember to sign up soon.

12. ferrame

ferrame Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Orange, Calif
    I had just signed up with West Coast Racing for the same weekend. Hope to see you there.

Manda racing likes this.
  13. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Sat was at the track with the NW Region PCA. Gotta say the Porsche enthusiasts in the NW are very track oriented, and autocross as well. Their club track days have very long wait lists and they run it the same as the non-marque track events in this area, meaning its about the driving rather than looking pretty in the paddock. I was in my 360, and there were a smattering of other non-Porsche cars as well.

Manda racing likes this.
  14. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
    This past month I have been on track with the Oregon BMW club as well as HOD. They both take all types of cars and have different group experience levels. As noted above, the track is the only place to fully experience the performance of these amazing autos! And, unfortunately, my track days this year are over.

SAFE4NOW and Manda racing like this.
  15. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    #15 Ingenere, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    Ferrari only track days were always something I tried to put together...... since the 1980's. At least in AZ, it was a futile effort.

My first effort was after arranging a discount with Bondurant for a group discount on a 4 day school...... actually trying to get attendees. The most common excuse was, "I'm a great driver! What could I possibly learn there"?

Then, years later after beating my head against a wall with these knuckleheads.... as the first Regional Director of the Desert Region of the FCA, I gave it another shot. A member raised his hand to tell me how to get interest in a track day. He said that we needed to have catering, a detail service and massage therapy in attendance. I gave up after that. I was good to go as a participant and instructor with different clubs.

The reality (at least in AZ), most members are far more interested in the PPE Series (Posing, Parking and Eating), and getting the best valet spot, than finding the right apex, learning heel and toe or trail braking.

Then when you look at the I Love Me Series, otherwise known as the Ferrari Challenge Series, unless you are at the pointy end of the field, it's just rich guy bumper cars and is a joke among racers and events that they serve as support races for.

An ex-pro racer friend of mine just came back from the Singapore GP. After watching some of the support races (Porsche Cup, Ferrari Challenge), he said the Porsche guys were good, but the real entertainment was the Challenge series. Why? Because of the incredible carnage and just plain bad driving.

16. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Porsche has quite a ladder system starting with club level HPDE that is very regimented with real curriculum. Porsche club racing has real classes and rules like SCCA. Ferrari all you need is a checkbook.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  17. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    It’s a numbers game, first unfortunately the current generation of Ferrari owners have become more and more fashion accessory owners than drivers. They are afraid to put miles on their cars.

Second in the Northeast there are approximately 25,000 members of the Porsche Club of America. Nationally the Ferrari club of America is around 5,000 members.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  18. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    #18 SAFE4NOW, Sep 29, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    My .02 worth . no coupons allowed:

Maybe its a demographic thing / regional thing.

I have personally had no problem organizing and hosting " no frills " Ferrari only track days ranging from 15 cars to 30 cars.

Also, regarding safety , a lot of it has to do with the curriculum. ( IMO ) I have not had a single car to car incident ( Cars have gone off track with no damage other than to the ego of the driver )

Now, I am the Service Director @ Boardwalk Ferrari , so I have access to getting to know a lot of Ferrari owners personally. I also work closely with the local Ferrari Club of America chapter. Maybe its knowing who to invite or include in the invitations. But I have not had a problem putting an event together.

I usually host events at Motor Sport Ranch in Cresson, though Eagles Canyon in Decatur , and even Texas Motor Speedway have been options over the past 12 years.

Sharing my secret:

Broad invite list to start
    "Introduction to high performance driver education " curriculum
    Classroom
    On track skill drills ( braking in the box , cone drills, etc )
    Classroom
    Lead and Follow
    Classroom
    Faster Lead and Follow
    Classroom
    Split the group into 2 separate groups ( Fast and Faster )
    Let them go at their own pace , with little traffic ( 15 cars on 1.7 mile track at a time )
    After event meal where everyone can talk about the day

Then, work up to an intermediate events , classroom discussions before the event and during the event are always mandatory.

Add in quarterly Sunday Morning Drives , annual Owners rally's , and you have a group of Ferrari owners who really enjoy the value of Ferrari ownership.

All of this is not to say that we do not enjoy the group dinners where we park the cars together , who wouldn't , but not all Ferrari owners are posing and unsafe drivers.

IMO only !

S

19. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Wish the dealers/FOC et al over here would follow your lead...and they are wondering why track day numbers are dwindling when they no longer even provide instructors!

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  20. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    I am willing to cover over and help get them back on track... no pun intended !

:-D

S

21. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Daytona with FCA but they allow all makes.

1/28/19. Monday after the 24 hr race.

FYI

I paid but it’s a long haul and some issues.

Attached Files:

22. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I’m on the fence about the Post Rolex day at Daytona.

To be honest, Daytona isn’t my favorite track. You have to do it at least once, just to experience the banking at speed. But after that, it’s a bit of a snooze fest. That said, I haven’t run the 430 there yet (apart from the Finali parade) and it might be fun to see what I can do down the back straight and into the bus top.

We’ll see.

Manda racing likes this.