Black paint color code for lower bumper, and other trim paint colors? | FerrariChat

Black paint color code for lower bumper, and other trim paint colors?

Discussion in '348/355' started by whyte, Sep 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whyte

whyte Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2006
    Merritt Island, FL
    Full Name:
    John C
    Does anyone have the official word on what colors these parts were originally, and what finish they were? Color codes and names would be awesome, but failing that, even a solid opinion or a pointer in the right direction, is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help. I realize some of these may be the same, but I'm itemizing them out for the benefit of anyone else that searches in the future.

1. The black lower trim for the front spoiler, rear lower bumper, bottom strake, etc. on a two tone Rossa Corsa 348 TS? In some pictures it seems almost glossy black, and in others, matte or semi gloss gray.

2. The line of trim in the mid seam running down the side? I seem to recall is was some sort of 3M product, and not a standard paint, but I could also be losing my mind.

3. The black plastic/rubber insert in the front hood, near the top.

4. The tail light cover- the black metal strakes.

5. The black roof panel, assuming it was still black and not body matched.

6. The black panel behind the front grill (on the cars that had it black, that is).

7. What about the wiper arms? Black, but satin, semi, or gloss? Any recommendations on paint types?

8. The "well" in front of the windshield where the wiper arms are attached?

Bonus: What is the most correct option for undercarriage panels and suspension touch up?

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  3. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Thats one version,

Any one have any idea when using PPG products?

I was thinking about getting the paint Jobber to use the scanner and see what it came up with for a mix.

but I will be in need of the correct underbody black soon out paint myself.

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Johnny - I will be into this very soon. Rally black is one that is commonly used. For the grill area of my last bumper, we used Hot Rod black but the gloss level was too high IMO

5. Dalema

Dalema Rookie

Jun 21, 2018
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Matt Dale
    I have a couple of touch up spots on the lower front spoiler trim. Mine is still the original black and I plan to keep it that way.

I searched a bunch on here, and this seems to be the closest anyone came to a paint color.

Does anyone know the exact paint color code for this black trim?

Should it be flat, eggshell or semi gloss?

Would be great if I could use a DrColorChip or the like.

Thanks!

6. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    For a consumer I would recommend using Sem trim black spray cans, all local body shop suppliers will carry it. Any of the stuff we use requires mixing and progressional gun to spray with.

7. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    This was gun sprayed and is very resilient. We started with a satin and used a matting agent similar to Wades post above to dull it down until we were happy. Did a few test spray outs. I based it on some pictures of original finishes. Since then Ive heard the original was a Glasurit product and may still available but in a new formula with possibly different part number. Im not 100% but its worth checking with them.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Dalema

Dalema Rookie

Jun 21, 2018
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Matt Dale
    Thanks all!

9. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

what paint line did you use?

10. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Its a few years ago now but I think the paint supplier was Car paint wearhouse, A local supplier in the UK.. It was a 1k satin with matting agent added by ourselves to suite. Im sure you can get the components from wherever you are located. Any decent quality brand would do the job. The hardest part is getting the sheen right. Multible spray outs until happy. Results were very good though. Couple of shots on the car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

MAD828 likes this.
  11. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

Yeah It seems there will be Some trial and error. Just wondering if it was anything I can get close by.

I have had an idea to try the Hot rod blacks that some companys make here in the states as its really popular. There's a flat and a satin 2 part black that a few make.

12. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    BUMP

I wish I had seen this thread before I started my post on similar question

13. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    would it be possible for you to mention what you recommend for mixing and pro gun application?

14. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    What paint line does the shop have? We use Glasurit solvent.

15. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    ^^^Glasurit and BASF

16. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Yes please I would like it too but I have ppg.

No one near me has Glasurit.

17. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    BUMP: looking for a Glasurit formulation...thank you

18. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    If anyone has any knowledge of a paint glasurit paint formula specifically for the engine bay black paint, and the paint on the rear panel found behind the tail light panel or challenge grille. some have commented that the quality of application from the factory was not at its best, however, I am most interested in what this paint is. it appears to be an epoxy resin paint?

anyone out there have first hand knowledge? I am getting closer to be in need.

19. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    send Braden a private message he will respond. Dont expect him to check this thread.

20. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    they responded in post 14 and asked me what I was looking for, but I will send a PM
    thanks

21. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick

From what I can make from the 348 workshop manual Nuova Univer appears to be the brand used not Glasurit. I imagine this would be used for the factory build as well as for later repairs. Dependant on where applied the finish is rather variable in quality... Doesn't say the light panel in the list but it looks the same to me..Here is the relevant page...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    ^^^great info. thanks for that