Some Corvette owners' wet dream of a Ferrari killer under $100K | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Some Corvette owners' wet dream of a Ferrari killer under $100K

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Dilusha, Sep 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Exactly that was my point

2. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Just another dumb thread. Everyone knows Ferraris are the greatest cars ever, owned by the greatest people ever and owning one make you even greater, so there.

Me, I can't wait for the ME vette to come out. The more great sports cars the better. Even better if they are almost affordable.

tomc likes this.
  3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    But the vette will have cupholders and cruise control because the vette is more capable of long distance driving than your bladder. The Ferrari you need to be with 100 miles of home as the limit of your AAA towing service.

4. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Not to mention the annual service items for a Vette. Oil, oil filter. Air for tires. Repeat for 10 years and throw in the random new top because yours blew off at 67 MPH.

Zcobra1, bubbaboy and tifoso2728 like this.
  5. xotik

xotik Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2009
    Gulf Coast
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Corvettes are GREAT cars. Ferraris are GREAT cars. Corvettes are not Ferraris. Ferraris are not Corvettes. Each has it's own personality, target audience and place in the collector car world.

6. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    yet i almost never, ever see them at track days........ (fcars that is)

Midnight Oil likes this.
  7. Donatella

Donatella Karting

Aug 26, 2007
    US
    That's because they don't want to be embarrassed by the corvettes....:)

8. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    ^^^^
    Ferraris are about the "experience", not the numbers....:rolleyes:

9. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    And they are usually the first people to rattle on about Ferrari's racing heritage. :D

Midnight Oil likes this.
  10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Lightening lap is irelevant and total crap, but it impresses braggers.

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

What exactly does outperform mean. A lightening lap has zero relevance on any car use I know of.-0-60 is a stunt. If were talkign 10 laps 4x per day and a vette can beat say a Gt3 at that Ill be impressed. If were talking a car that comuncates and is entertaining at remotely sane road attainable speeds, ill be impressed. So far no recent corvette comes out as numver 1 in those metrics, which are actual real use metrics for areal sportscar in 2018. The closest vette in recent memeory was the C6 z06 and before that were talking C2.

Could the me vette be the best thing since sliced bread, certainly yes. It could have a version that weights 3000lbs and has 650 NA hp, being then the most desireable real performance car you can buy. It could also be a 3600+lbs gt car that fakes its "performance" with and 850hp tt v8 and even hybridization. That will undoubtably impress people who like to read about 0-60 and some lightening lap. Its not then going to scare Macrlen Ferrari porche or any compoany that makes real performance cars.

Lets see what they cook up, Ill also bet the hi po versions are not going to be 100k.

Midnight Oil likes this.
  12. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    New Z06 is the fastest car that I've ever been in. My friend was emboldened by having done the driver school (a perk they gave with the car) and I was having genuine panic riding shotgun. I can't fathom what the ZR1 could do.

Objectively the $90k Z06 is better than most exotics before 2018 in every measureable way.

Subjectively, well, that's up to tastes.

13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Its because of who buys them and why. Partialy that relates to who can afford them.

Most vettes are also owned by old duffers, but there are so many vettes produced that for sure some show up at tracks, and used ones are surpringly affordable by younger people.
    Even then the percentage of vettes produced that show up at tracks vs ferraris, interesting stat

14. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    #39 jimmyb, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    How many C7's have you driven on a track? How many GT3's have you driven on a track?
    You're real good at deciding what IS a REAL test and what's not, I'm curious how you arrived at YOUR PRONOUNCEMENTS.

And nice job dragging out the old and tired Corvette stereotypes. BTW, your Euro bias is affecting your better sense....so Macrlen/Ferrari/porche (your spellings) make REAL performance cars, but not the Corvette???? That's such a silly thing to say I'm curious if you kept a straight face when you typed it.

ForzaV12 likes this.
  15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Yet again spewing your incomprehensible garbage.

ForzaV12 likes this.
  16. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I love this stuff, and I think sometimes we tend to put our own emotions, and feelings into a discussion that should have none. What car specs are important to you? Is it 0-60, 1/4 mile, skid pad, 100-0. How much of even those numbers will matter in everyday use, or your use. I'm betting my use of a car is different than yours. I used to see cars as my advanced ticker toy (I never had many toys as a kid) set, and how they came stock was merely a starting point. These days I have other things to occupy my mind so I don't do as much to cars as I used to. Will I buy a ME corvette, probably, I have owned C5. C6, and C7 corvettes, and my modified C6 Lemans Blue Z06 was one of the cars I regret getting rid of. There are Corvette people, Ferrari people, Porsche people and they all can make valid arguments for their favorite brand. I like them all though I think these days car companies and looking more at what technologies will be driving the cars of the future rather than are we the fastest. I have feeling those who are not looking at that wont have much of a future.

Texas Forever, boxerman and CK7684 like this.
  17. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    He did learn a new word-"metric"
    "real performance cars"? We get it-your Lotus gets its Toyota powered azz handed to it at multiple track days by a variety of Chevrolet products and it stings. Still no cause to disparage the fine track manners of many Corvettes, nor their impressive racing heritage.

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    To you, which says much

19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Ok

20. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I hate how it looks.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

21. Thehawaiiangecko

Nov 22, 2017
    At the end of the day, it's still just a Vette. No matter what you do to it, or how fast you make it, it's just a mass made chevy. Different strokes for different folks. One of things it will be is affordable to the mass public, which doesn't make it special to anyone that really cares.

Sent from my SM-J727T using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I "really care". I also own what you would consider cars worth caring about. Now that I've cleared that up-the Corvettes that I also own are special.

23. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    That is exactly what I mean, emotions and feelings. Not that there is anything wrong with them, you cant help but have them. When I say this, I seem to offend some, but we are talking about a cars performance, which are merely statistics. Cars are machines, they have no soul, no character, no feelings, and while they may illicit certain feelings (lucky for you normal folks) in their owners, or drivers, they have none. So GM can build a car for 100K that can essentially do what an Italian car maker builds for three times that. I say good for them, and keep up the good work.

Texas Forever and JV's89 like this.
  24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Ok to asnwer some points made here. Im commenting on the car not people personally, yet I accused of spewing garbage which is personal.
    I have driven on road and track a C6 6 z06 a C7 GS, a Gt3. I'm not commenting on build or interior those are seperate subjects. There is a vast vast difference between the waya vette drives and say a Gt3 or even a lowly lotus.

My observation from driving in and against vettes is this. The fast new ones ie c7 z06 simply dont hold up to repeated lapping due to weight, nothing to do with overheating which is solved, theyre simp[ly too heavy for any serious type of track work. If the ME car is similarily heavy, which indications from Gm are that it is, then it will have a 500-600 lbs weight penalty against its "euro" competition. Maybe that does not matter too much on a "lightening" lap, but over 10 laps and over 5 sesions of 10 laps per day its devastating.

IMO the Gs is the best of the current crop if youre going to the track and its still a few hundred lbs heavier than a c6 Z06. For the money its performance for a out the box factory car on track is hard to beat.

As for drivign feel, and the sense youre sittign in front of the rear wheels, its possible the Me car will cure this.

But lets be serious here, the Euros are going for 3000lbs or less in their next crop of Me cars, no amount of Hp on a 36000lbs car will overcome this on any number of serious laps, regardless of some irrelevant lightening lap.

I am quite sure that the vette team can design an excellent chassis and suspesion with greta dynamics, its even possible the Me car will have the necessary stiffness to be really good on track. I accept that on car like a vette which comes from Gm there are a number of near mandatory upgrades to make before serious track work, but the same can be said of some others. Its even probable that the new 5.4 quad cam v8 that will make 650 hp will be an ideal motor with a large spread of power and Tq, something a single cam pushrod motor is at a deficit at so that is solved too. However weight will be the enemy, regardlless of some magazines metrics, or what some overpowered TT hysbridized vette may put out. Its the same issue with the bugattis.

Now my criteria may be different to the 90% of vette buyers. And for most my criteria are irrelevant. But if youre touting road course track prowess, then frankly the latest vettes are significantly off the mark. Not to say theyre not impressive cars.

In porche land the fastest 911 is the turbo, by the numbers the Gt3 is way slower, yet go to the track and its very different once you get past 3 lightening laps, and thats the relevance for people who go to the track in any serious capacity. I accept that most here dont so these may be irrelevant criteria,

As to ferrari etc, I hardley ever see one at the track which says much about who buys a ferrari and why. The ones I have seen at the track, a few 458s and a 488 were sure doing the job, but those were owners who didnt mind the 3+ k per day in running costs on track or the "depreciations'. So I would say for completly different reasons ferraris are not really serious either. BTW a new Z06 is not going to cost less to run on track because of its consumable eating weight.

ill end by saying the day I was driving the C6 z06 on track a friend let me drive his 599. I thought the 599 sucked on track, it didnt want to turn in wouldnt really brake and sat too tall. The C6 was infintely superior for track. Probablya 458 would have been better still so lets see what a Me vette can be. Intial sightings are that its large and heavy, thats all Im saying.

As for exclusivity, personaly thats irrelenvant to me.

As for out the box factory cars, In 2018 If youre going to the track in a street legal out the box road car the Gt3 is the one to have in terrms of sheer consistent and fast laptimes over a day, joy to drive etc, that car also not going to cost you less than 2k to run per day. Theres a reason why porche club track days are so popular, pca racing is so popular and why if you got o a generic track day the porches are numerous and reliably the fastest runners, they simply have it down. Porche are not my cup of tea, but credit where credits due.

One reason why I admire the porche so much is because to use JimmyB's term the only car out there that will hand my toyota powered lotus its azz is the new Gt3. But then that may be the driver too.

Whats interesting is how much the game has moved on in few years. A 997 Gt3RS is simply not a contender on track, nor is even the C6 z06. I would say the Gs is quicker than both of them. However a modded lightened C6 z06 is formidable. None of them are going to corner with the lotus, and the lotus cant corner with a 997 Gt3 Cup racer, but then the lotus is turn key and a cup car is far from that.

horses for courses folks..

25. Thehawaiiangecko

Nov 22, 2017
    Sorry that's just my opinion. Anybody can buy a Corvette. Hell you see them on every corner. What you cleared up is you have the mentality of a Corvette owners is all. Again IMHO. I had a Corvette when I was in my 20's. It doesn't fit into the class of cars in the $$$,$$$ price range.

Sent from my SM-J727T using FerrariChat.com mobile app