Antenna Label Plate - Source? | FerrariChat

Antenna Label Plate - Source?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Tvjake2, Jul 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tvjake2

Tvjake2 Karting

Jun 28, 2017
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom J.
    I bought this plate (it was $27 when I bought it) and went to install it yesterday. It does not really resemble the actual plate which has a different finish, even though the letter in correct. The most distressing thing is that it doesn't fit. The hole is too small to fit over the switch.

Does anyone have a good source for OEM or OEM style switch plates? Is there a sticker anywhere that can be applied to bring back the "look"?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    unobtaniumsupply.com make unscratchable ones, but might only be available as a set.

3. Tvjake2

Tvjake2 Karting

Jun 28, 2017
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom J.
    Thanks, I have seen those. They look the same as the one that didn't fit and they do not look like the OEM plate that's on the car now.

4. Tvjake2

Tvjake2 Karting

Jun 28, 2017
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom J.
  5. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    I'm not being a smartarse or anything - but are you sure yours are OEM? I wouldn't know to be honest - I just assumed all the replacements would be accurate.

6. Tvjake2

Tvjake2 Karting

Jun 28, 2017
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom J.
    Well, I'm the second owner of the car and this is not something the previous owner would mess with. Also, I've been researching the darn things and one owner here in LA bought his new and he has the correct plates which resemble the top pic.

dinonz308 likes this.
  7. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard

Attached Files:

Tvjake2 likes this.
  8. Tvjake2

Tvjake2 Karting

Jun 28, 2017
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom J.

Looks like mine, too. I'm going to check and see if there are any issues with judging for the non-OEM plates. My orginial aerial plate has most of the printing rubbed off.

9. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Preservation class or concours judging?
    Provide a photo of your aerial plate.

10. Tvjake2

Tvjake2 Karting

Jun 28, 2017
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom J.
    I'm not too worried about preservation class, the car won a Coppa d'Argento at Ferrari Concourso in Pasadena so it just needs a few things cleaned up. It the National and Concours events I'm wondering about.

I've attached the plate pic. The aerial plate is as it appears in the photo with little writing left on it.

Thoughts?

11. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    If a used or new one is not available, consider using a silkscreen shop to redo the graphics. I will also search to see if a plate is available for you.

12. Tvjake2

Tvjake2 Karting

Jun 28, 2017
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom J.
    Thanks much. I looked into getting one reproduced but the setup cost was pretty ridiculous. Thanks for the help. If you find anything let me know. I may know a guy who can make a sticker overlay that will look original...it'll just be a sticker, but will look exactly as the current plates.

13. Tvjake2

Tvjake2 Karting

Jun 28, 2017
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom J.
    Ok, I have a guy who will try to make the plate sticker overlay. I'll need really good photos of an original, in perfect condition, set of switches. Anybody?

14. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #14 Verell, Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    I'm sorry, I'm obviously missing something. What detail(s) are you referring to? I went to a lot of effort to duplicate the OEM plates..

15. Ian Bishop

Ian Bishop Karting

Dec 3, 2017
    Forgive my ignorance specific to your car, but on the GT4 the plastic black top bit on the toggles / switches can be removed / reattached. So when you say the hole won't fit over the switch, perhaps you remove the switch, unplug the wires and replace from the bottom, or perhaps you remove the black knob bit... just a thought.

16. Tvjake2

Tvjake2 Karting

Jun 28, 2017
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom J.
    The original plate has a silvery white color under the printed letters with a chrome/silver strip around the outer edge of the plate. I'll try and take a clear closeup photo and post it here. It'll be a few weeks as I'm in Italy right now.

17. Tvjake2

Tvjake2 Karting

Jun 28, 2017
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom J.
    I removed the original plate by removing the black plastic top and lifting the original plate off. The new plate would not then fit over the switch mechanism.

18. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    #18 mwr4440, Sep 8, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Verell,

As I understand it .....

Just checked my car (w/your plates).

There is NOTHING WRONG or INCORRECT w/your plates.

Sadly, these guys are using an inferior B&W photo with piss-poor contrast of your plates for a comparison.

The 'silver' 'frame' around the edge of the OEM plate in the color photos does not appear in the B&W photo of 'your' plates.*

Thus, they are inadvertently using 'lousy evidence' in their decision making process.

I know you and your work better than that, but Sorry Buddy, checked anyway.

If you have a GOOD Close-Up of your plates, consider posting to this thread.

* - Half the 'E' in 'WIPE' is 'missing.' Not even sure that is a pic of Your plate.

waymar likes this.
  19. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I agree, this is NOT one of my plates:

Here is a picture of all my 308 switch plates. The perimeter area is visable, bu not as bright due to different lighting.

20. Tvjake2

Tvjake2 Karting

Jun 28, 2017
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom J.
    I'm not sure what the question is here.
    @verrell - I'm not sure what the question is here. The plates above are similar to the stock ones currently in my car, and similar to the ones I posted in post #10. The one I bought (the first pic in this series) shown in post #1 does not look like the stock plate, nor does it fit. The pic in post #1 does not look like your examples here. Is the plate in post #1 your plate? If so...it's just wrong.

21. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I have no reason to believe that the plate in post #1 is one of my (Unobtainium Supply) plates, especially if it does not match the picture I just posted.

I was confused by your response to dinonz308 ie: post #2:

In post #3, your response to dininz308 you stated that you've seen my (ie: unobtainium supply's ) plate, & that it looks like #1 & you don't like it:

22. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    BTW: A correction concerning the picture of the plates I supply: I forgot that the 3rd set of FHW + Aerial plates & the right hand R. FOG plate are OEM plates included for comparison..

23. Tvjake2

Tvjake2 Karting

Jun 28, 2017
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom J.
    It does not appear to me that the plate in post #1 is yours, either.
    My response to #2 was simply that the plates that I saw on unobtainium looked like the plate in my first post #1.
    I did not know you are unobtainium supply, that answers some of my confusion. When I went on your site (which is a great source) I looked at the parts on my phone and the pics of your plates looked similar to the one I posted in #1. I just went on your site and zoomed in to the pics and they appear to be correct, it's a bit hard to tell with the contrast quality of my computer screen. Now having seen your post in #19 they do look correct.

I stand corrected about unobtainium supply and apologize for the confusion.

24. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Ahh, sorry, I just assumed everyone either knew or would read my signature. :)