1967 Ferrari Signature Mystery | FerrariChat

1967 Ferrari Signature Mystery

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by trashidelek!, Sep 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Might anyone be able to identify the signature between Nino Vaccarella and Jonathan Williams on the attached photo. For the life of me, I have absolutely no clue at all... Thanks to anyone who might be able to help!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Marc,

I certainly can't identify it. Do you know if all of the signatures were obtained at approximately the same time?

Jack.

3. Peter Tabmow

Peter Tabmow Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Your thread title says 1967... Based the presence of autographs from Vaccarella, Williams, and Amon, you could try looking up the Ferrari drivers at each round of that year's FIA World Championship of Makes and perhaps other non-championship sportscar races as well. Try here: racingsportscars.com.

4. trashidelek!

Nov 18, 2004
    I feel very confident that all of the signatures (including Bandini, Scarfiotti, and Parkes on other pages) are from the same time. They basically comprise the whole of the front-line 1967 Ferrari driver lineup. In all likelihood they were from the convegno annuale held during the winter of 1966/7 when yearbooks were initially distributed. So far, no luck in identifying the mystery signature...

5. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Did Franco Lini have a funky signature, sign his last name first, etc?

6. trashidelek!

Nov 18, 2004
    I thought of that too. Unfortunately, his signature looks very different (see below). This is going to be pretty difficult, as I believe that I am familiar with most of the more obvious candidates. Hopefully, someone else will have a greater familiarity with Ferrari's less well-known personnel.

7. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    Any one heard of Jim Palmer?

Online autographs of this guy are very different but I suspect they were obtained much later. I also think that although the above article (taken from Speedcafe) says mid-60s it was more likely to be 66/67. The problem with autographs is that you can make them read just about anyone's name unless they are very clear.

8. trashidelek!

Nov 18, 2004
    I doubt it is that. To my eye it appears that the first letters are "L" and "R", with "I" thrown into the mix at least a couple of times. Likely something of Italian origin?

9. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    I doubt it very much too! It is one of those autographs though that could say so many things. The more I look at it the more possibilities I see!

10. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    There is an old thread on here from 2010 that has an interesting list of names:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/enzo-ferrari-autograph.296196/

Unfortunately the links do not seem to work. However, Gilles82 is still an active Ferrari Chatter and he perhaps can help.

Someone with far more knowledge of motorsport autographs than me has today put me onto the name of Rudi Lins. If it is, then the name and surname have been turned around, as per the suggestion above, and the letters are L and R as you suggested. This driver does not appear to have had any connection to Ferrari but his inclusion in the list of names on the above list (and the other names on the list) could mean that it is him. I guess this could mean the autographs were obtained somewhere different to where you thought. Perhaps Gilles82 could provide some more information.

Regards,

Robert

11. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    The guy who put me onto this did suggest that if it is Rudi Lins then it is a very early one.

12. trashidelek!

Nov 18, 2004
    Interesting idea! The problem is that other signatures of Rudi Lins consistently have the first name first and the last name last. In addition, they look very different. I suspect that the problem signature here is likely from a mechanic, engineer, or some other relatively obscure individual.

13. jpsf1uk

jpsf1uk Rookie

Nov 1, 2018
    Could be Luigi Piotti 1954 ferrari pilot? I didn't find signature to confirm...

14. trashidelek!

Nov 18, 2004
    The first name of the signature in question does look like it could be a "Luigi", but I am not aware of Luigi Piotti having had any connection with Ferrari in late 1966 or early 1967, when this yearbook would have been signed. Is this incorrect?

15. jpsf1uk

jpsf1uk Rookie

Nov 1, 2018
    he died in 1971. he was 58.
    Luigi Piotti (Milan, 27 october 1913 – Godiasco, 19 april 1971)

16. jpsf1uk

jpsf1uk Rookie

Nov 1, 2018
    I didn't find any reference about 1967..but the book is about '46 to '66. But I haven't other clue..