308 ALTERNATIVE | FerrariChat

308 ALTERNATIVE

Discussion in '308/328' started by hanknum, Sep 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Hey Everyone,

Been a long time since I've been involved here. My kids are now 13 & 5. I'm finding less and less time to do car stuff. I've had the my 308 now for 24 years. I have thoroughly enjoyed it and almost doubled the mileage of it when I bought it...now has about 121k. So I still love driving, but don't have time to do the maintenance/repairs and other upkeep. I'm looking for something FUN and that I can just pretty much get in and drive. Something more modern would be nice too. Also, something that has some collectible potential would be nice. I've narrowed it down to the following...

Alfa Romeo 4C
    My first choice. Great fun to drive, still under warranty. I know they are new(er) and will depreciate, but I think they have good collectible potential.

Lotus Elise/Exige/Evora
    Fun, great handling. Toyota engines...good reliability. I think most of these prices have bottomed out, thought I don't think that they will appreciate that much. Very unique.

Tesla Roadster
    Not sure how fun they are, but I know they are quick. About as low maintenance as it gets, until the batteries need to be replaced...but battery prices continue to come down. I think these actually will have a very good collectible potential.

Others that I've considered, but not too sure of...

Porsche Boxster/Cayman...great drivers cars, but they are everywhere.
    Porsche early water cooled 911...fast, great driver, again not very unique.
    Maserati Cambiocorsa/Gran Sport...more of a GT, but can't argue with the Ferrari engine and F1 gearbox. Reliability and maintenance might be an issue though.

Please let me know your thoughts and if you think that I've missed something that might fit my criteria. Lastly, I'm looking in the $50k range...something that would be comparable in value to the 308.

Thanks,

Henry

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    My first choice would be a Cayman S Turbo. Tesla wouldn't make my list at all.

tomberlin and FrannyB like this.
  3. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I vote for keeping the 308. If it needs to sit, let it sit. You will regret selling it later. BTW, You used the word Lotus and reliable in the same sentence structure :)

FrannyB likes this.
  4. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    Go with the Alfa for newer fun driving.

Go with the Tesla for dependable / reliable and handling. remember no sound! Which is like dating a supermodel wearing a chastity belt.

Go for the 308 for collectable, great sound, and form with function the machine is a beautiful sculpture extention of you fun driving thumbs up inspire others to be you goodness!

Hope this helps.

Also concider renting one o the other cars for a weekend.

5. JuLiTrO

JuLiTrO Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julio Saiz
    Perhaps you can import a new Alpine

6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If you ask me, when it comes to Ferrari 308, there is NO alternative.

Albert-LP and Dr Tommy Cosgrove like this.
  7. greg288

greg288 Karting

May 28, 2007
    DITTO:rolleyes:

8. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    I would try to find a Saturn Sky turbo or Pontiac Solstice GXP. Great little cars, limited numbers made, and relative cheap to buy and run. Prices on 308s are starting to firm up-- I think the dealer inventories bought in 2015 are thinning out a bit.

9. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    Here is a vid of a guy whom has owned his 308 for 30+ years and has thought about it but decided best to keep it as long as possible.

10. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    When I bought my 308 I was seriously considering a 4C but made my decision based mostly on the opposite of what you're thinking in that I wanted something I could tinker with and do work on. There are a couple of threads on fchat from 308 owners who have bought a 4C and they say it is the closest thing to what a Dino would be today if Ferrari had kept making them so I think if you want to keep the raw, uncompromising feel of your 308 the 4C is probably the best contender.

vaccarella likes this.
  11. rmgaiss

rmgaiss Rookie

Feb 15, 2005
    Lake City, FL
    I would keep the 308. I've got a 04 Boxter S that's kick to drive. Keep the 308 and buy a Boxter.

12. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Boxster/Cayman hands down. If you want something more unique, get the Spyder, or GT4. They will be collectibles soon enough.

I think to truly enjoy an old Ferrari, you have to enjoy wrenching on it.

johnk... and FrannyB like this.
  13. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Yeah, priorities change. Glad you've put the miles on a 308, its a rare thing. I am a little surprised that the cars on your list are similar to 308s regarding (im)practicality.

If you're looking for point-and-shoot reliability, maybe the German and Japanese cars are now best. Consider the old NSXes and BMW E46s M3s. Great cars with great reliability.

I took a Tesla Roadster prototype on an autocross circuit for a couple of runs about 10 (?) years ago. I may be wrong, but I expect the "logic" of modern e-cars has much improved since the roadster. I just found it plain weird to drive. It may be just that the regenerative braking was cranked up to 11. Needless to say, test drive one before buying it.

14. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Wow! Cool! Tim is part of the San Francisco East Bay area crowd. We see him often. Cool video. Sad I missed the Hwy 1 drive he mentions.

15. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
  16. greg288

greg288 Karting

May 28, 2007
    Matching guard dog included?;)

17. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    Recommended highly by my favorite automotive journalist, Matt Farah, any of the supercharged Evora are supposed to be incredibly balanced, fast and comfortable. Might be a little above budget.

18. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Thanks for all the suggestions/information. I've thought about keeping the 308 and just getting a fun DD, but don't think the wife would go for that. My DD is a SUV because we need something to tow our travel trailer when we go camping.

BTW, a 308 sold on BAT a couple weeks ago for $93k, but then another (previous Rick Mears car) did not meet reserve at about $46k...seems like quite a spread.

19. GavC

GavC Formula Junior

May 9, 2004
    Lincolnshire, Englan
    Full Name:
    Gavin Culshaw
    What about an Aston Martin Vantage, V8 still sound amazing and a good unique car which many will respect, true British icon with probably more automotive history that Ferrari dating back to 1913 I believe. Not sure on prices states side but from £30k here in UK.

20. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    " I'm looking for something FUN and that I can just pretty much get in and drive. Something more modern would be nice too. Also, something that has some collectible potential would be nice."

Best two out of three: Mazda Miata. As far as meeting number 3, anything collectable is almost automatically not going to meet the first requirement. ;)

21. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    agree on the Maxda Miata, pity not so much on the performance side, the 308 will kill it.

2006 - 2008 Cayman S ! easy fun all around car and very affordable, keep the 308

22. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    I understand the situation but. Just go look at your 308 for a moment. Then think about all the cars listed and how they look...the 308 is just a pretty car. And kind of timeless, and now there's a TV show high lighting the car!

Easy to drive, easy to maintain, sounds good, looks good, paid for! Just keep it.

IMHO

23. david

david Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2001
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    david
    ..."agree on the Maxda Miata, pity not so much on the performance side, the 308 will kill it."

Speaking from experience, that's not necessarily true. Mazdaspeed MX5 will blow the doors off my 308 on the twisties. It's light, well balanced, handles like a demon, and the turbo gives it a nice kick. Doubt it would ever be a collectible, but it's kind of a pretty design and it's a fun convertible on a sunny day. Don't know if I'd sell the 308 to get a Miata, but it's a neat little car to have tucked in the corner of the garage.

24. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    As I mentioned before and I still believe that there’s really no alternative for the 308 as they are completely different from all the todays new car. But if I were to replace or add a new car, I would like the Abarth Fiat Spyder.