Potentially adding a 720 to my garage | FerrariChat

Potentially adding a 720 to my garage

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by SoCal to az, Sep 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    i have a 488. Looking to add either a Performante or a Mclaren 720. I’m going to post this in the Lambo forum as well to get some basic information on the lambo, however couple of questions about 720.

Is there any must have options the car should have? I’m looking at either spending brand new or buying a gently loved 18 model now that the 19s have come out, prices on the 18 have softened a touch. Granted I thought the 720 was going to take a dump like the 650 and 12c before it but that hasn’t happened and that’s nice to see. I have zero interest in a bunch of carbon that holds no reseals but I do want mandatory options. In my 488 for example, goldrake seats are a must for me.

Any major differences between 19 and 18?

Any major problems you guys have had? My 488 and Gt3 rs have been bullet proof. The one edge I give lambo is that it’s Audi guts so they are mechanically sound with little to no mechanical issues.

I know previous Mclarens have had electrical problems but haven’t heard anything major with Mclaren 720.

Should I get an extended warranty? Anyone know the cost? Can I just add it later if I keep the car longer than warranty exists?

Does it matter to buy from a dealer or shopping around to get the best deal is best?

Please don’t make this a lambo sucks and Mclaren is awesome. Both are great cars- I’m just doing some digging and I have test drives in both this weekend.

I’m 6’4” so that may automatically rule out the Performante cause if it’s like the aventador, I couldn’t fit. But will see.

Appreciate very much your comments.

2. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The options I believe are pretty important are (in order):

1) Gorilla Glass upper doors. There is a bit more head clearance in the cars with the glass versus without and it makes the car feel even more open. Good for helmets or taller guys like you. It does heat up the car a bit so I got a couple of spring loaded style inserts made at an upholstery shop to keep it shaded while retaining the full clearance.
    2) B&W Stereo. Factory one sucks.
    3) Vehicle lift. One, it's good for resale. Two, the car has great clearance but there are still times you'd scrape without lift. Three, that package has extras like parking sensors and rear camera which make it easier to use as a semi-daily car.
    4) Performance package (carbon steering wheel and partial trim), alcantara which makes spirited driving easier in a grippy seat, soft close doors, and it finishes the car off well without going nuts on separate options.

One thing I wouldn't get again is the sports exhaust. I'd have purchased aftermarket for a better sound at a similar price. I also opted for aftermarket extended paddles instead of factory as they're just as nice and a grand less.

I haven't had any major problems with my car in 3k miles. It was in the shop once for a coil pack and a software update for the park sensors in the first couple hundred miles, otherwise it's been flawless. My dealer told me I could add the extended later. Car comes with three years unlimited miles and I'm told to extend was only a couple grand each year. My preference was to purchase new from the dealer. I wanted the full support as I plan to drive it often and do some track events so I didn't want to sacrifice that relationship for a few grand savings. From the prices I'm seeing at independent places VS new it doesn't look like there's much savings to be had anyhow - unless it was an uber spec'd car that someone is taking a bath on for the latest and greatest. If you'd like to speak to the sales manager I used PM me and I'll send you his info - they've been great to work with.

Lastly, I'd suggest you drive the Performante first, then the 720. I did, and when I drove the McLaren a few hours later it was easier to compare them and make a decision.

Jo Sta7 and SoCal to az like this.
  3. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Awesome! Ty.

So performance package, glass roof stereo and lift.

Other than preference any major difference in the leather seats va Alcantara? I like the Alcantara with the stripes but just want to sure there isn’t a difference in comfort etc.

Thanks again for a great write up.

4. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I didn't notice any difference in the seats aside from the coverings. The demo I drove had leather but I preferred the alcantara for look, feel, wear rating, and breathability.

Report back once you've driven one. I'm curious to hear your impressions.

5. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I’ve driven on before. The turbo lag which was awful on the 650 and 570 was barely noticeable on the 720. I liked it.

But when I drove it, I had no intention of buying one so I did t really pay close attention. I will do a much better job of looking at the nuances when I drive one next.

6. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Ok. I see that, particularly in auto with comfort settings. Drive it for a bit and use the throttle to get rpm in optimum range and it'll be even less noticeable. Sport suspension with track performance setting and it's an animal.

SoCal to az likes this.
  7. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    I didnt like the electric seats, the controls are impossible and seat motor is slow. Manual seats a must for me.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Agree with this. Electric seats never made sense to me in an exotic. I set the seat for myself and that’s it.

Ty

9. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    If you're getting turbo lag you're not driving it properly.

Is there turbo lag sure if you are in 6th gear at a lower speed and you mash it down you will have lag, but if you shift down to 2nd or 3rd accordingly the car will take it no problem and you get zero lag. Whole point of turbos they need higher revs to generate flow, you need to change your driving habits in turbo cars.

Tides, sainthoo and TheDiffuser like this.
  10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    By no means am I a professional driver. Hell, not sure I even qualify as an amateur driver. But I hated the drive on the 650. I’m my limited seat time in the 720, it was much better experience.

11. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    If you own a 488 and had a 458 you understand......
    Your buying a computer that happens to have 4 wheels.
    The 458, 05 Ford GT and many others like a sls Mercedes were the last of the old school.
    The 488 like all these new cars takes a bit of soul away. Its all tech.
    To me the 720s doesn't bring back the soul BUT brings you into SPACESHIP territory.
    Hard to explain.
    Its not a 275 GTB , It something special.
    Any British short falls compared to your tried and true Ferrari will be forgotten once you hit the pedal.
    GTJOEY1314

12. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Yeah I’m not interested in a 488 vs 720 discussion. I will potentially have both. Just looking to learn more about recommended options.

13. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Assume you will get $0 return on any additional options or MSO-type specs, historically the secondary market has determined that those things mean little to nothing on resale and also why you see a lot of Mclarens w very modest specs. Lift & basic carbon done.

14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    It seems the consensus is Performance package, lift and maybe glass roof. The rest is meh. I dont care about the radio so doubt Ill get that.

thx all.

15. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017

I can offer no real insight/suggestions on the 720; however, both owning a HP and being 6’6” gives me special insight on that car. I do not want to hijack the 720 thread, so I will limit my comments to you whether or not you will likely fit in the HP. I went comfort seats rather than carbon racing seats because they offer adjustments that the carbon seats do not (namely the ability to rake the seat from straight up to nearly 45 degrees). I find the space to be generous and comfortable. I have 1800 miles in about 9 months of ownership. I could jump in the car and comfortably complete an 8 hour road trip. One caveat, the visibility out front is obstructed near the top of the range, it’s quite hard to see stoplights if you are at or near the front.

JAM1 and SoCal to az like this.
  16. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    I have a launch edition model. Mine came with a carbon roof. If I had to spec it myself then I would have gone for the gorilla glass. However, there has been issues with the gorilla glass cracking. I'd really research this issue with dealer. I'm not sure if it is still an issue or not.

If you plan on buying brand new mclaren cars in the future then the best bet is to buy from your local mclaren dealer. It'll make it much easier to get the in demand models in the future.

I agree with frefan; electric seats are very confusing. However, you'll adjust to it after a couple of times or just use the memory function.

I belive the 2019 model has a different way to use the shortcut for the lifter. A common problem people first encounter is when they are trying to lower the car after having it lifted, they activate the speed limiter. Once again; it'll happen to you a couple of times, you'll curse it and then you'll adjust and no issue going forward.

No need for extended warranty as there is plenty remaining. You can always add it before the manufacture warranty expires.

SoCal to az likes this.
  17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Thanks. Had an extended test drive in the Performante today. Awesome car. Visceral, powerful, fun. But too spartan and hardcore for my needs. It was a tight fit for me in the car, I fit but wasnt the most comfortable. After coming from a RS, 488, the cockpit in the Performante was tight and cozy which I didnt mind, but my bride just found it too uncomfortable. So for now, that is out.

Im going to play around with the 720. I hear that the spider will be released in the Spring. Will see how things shake out in the next few weeks. Have the dealer looking for the proper spec for me. Also working with an independent dealer where Ive bought a bunch of cars. Lets see who finds the right color and spec. Ill pull the trigger then.

im in no rush- ill keep this for a few years so want to find the right spec.

Really appreciate everyones insight. Thank you. It was tremendously helpful.

18. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    As long as driven properly, there really is no lag to speak of. It's definitely not like my old F40.

When I'm attacking a road or a track, I have not experienced lag.

19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I understand the no lag issue is relegated to how you drive the car. My comparison is to my 488. That has no lag at all. Granted in every other performance metric the 720 blows it out of the water. And Im not really comparing the two cars, they are just different beasts.

Regardless- working on a few things...maybe looking at 600LT as well as Ive been reading up on that and coming around to it. Its a different beast than the 570.

Anyways, thanks all for the great input. Very much appreciated.

20. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Interesting you found the interior Spartan. I have comfort seats and feel it’s plush and the one thing I love about the HP is the jet fighter cockpit feel. Leagues beyond Ferrari. I would have thought the Mac interior was Spartan with the iPad center console - the other surroundings remind me a bit of Lotus.
    As you know I’m selling my Perf, but my wife loves the car and doesn’t want me to. She loves to drive it more than the 16M, which is her first love.

Sent from my 16M

21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I Dont mind the cockpit of the lambo but it’s very gimicky, my wife hates it. When I say spartan, I don’t mean sparse, I mean hardcore. Ferrari I think does a great job of luxury and sportiness. The lambo was hardcore- I know that’s he purpose but it won’t work in my sitstuon.

The mclaren you are right is barren - but it’s minimalistic. In an elegant way. I actually like it.

Tesla would be an example of spartan and minimalistic done poorly. They suck.

22. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    #22 SoCal to az, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    All right guys- this is getting done. Im either speccing a new one or gonna sit tight and wait to find the right spec. Right now, all the specs out there are crazy- 340-360 with a bunch of useless carbon.

Im looking at doing either a white with performance package and some carbon on the headlights (including the carbon on the hood vents, side vents and rear tail that come standard with the performance package) and with the black and orange alcantara interior.

Or

Im going to go Papaya spark base model, skip all the carbon and go orange and black and put the carbon money elsewhere on budget. Im trying to keep this under 330k which seems reasonable. A base stripper would be in the 315k range.

Couple of questions:

1- Carbon - worth it? I know resale is crap on this. A few carbon pieces I could wrap with no problem for a few hundred bucks but to go all in on carbon is 10-20k depending on what you spec.

2- Bowers and Wilkins upgraded stereo - most exotic stereos are crap. I'm sure this is fine but I never listen to the radio - just talk radio in the back ground. Dealer is telling me resale is very difficult if you dont have the upgraded radio- true or not?

3- I actually like the standard rims- any negatives to them? Figure I can save 5 grand by going standard.

4- sports exhaust- worth it? I didnt notice a massive difference in sound as they fired up two cars in the showroom- one sports and one regular.

5- Finally any difference between a 2019 and an 2018? Should I look for used vs ordering new?

any other must have options?

If I have to spend 350k I will. I just know myself- I get bored so quickly, that for me, its just better to do minimal options, enjoy the car and sell it in a few years. I just dont think all the carbon and other fancy options have any resale.

My 16 488 was 329k msrp. I got offered with 4000 miles 240k by the Ferrari dealer for a trade which Im not doing. Im just going to keep the car.

this isn't my first super car, it wont be my last. Its not my dream car- its the next car. Dont get me wrong, Im very excited about the purchase, I just want to be smart with my money and not overspend on useless junk.

thanks for your input.

23. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    To get a sense of the colors and the most common colors (inside and outside), go to this link. It's mclaren san francisco flickr account. Just about all delivered 720s are shown in their flickr account.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mclarensanfrancisco/albums

The way I spec cars; exterior carbon is key (forget the hood and don't need the wing in carbon either). I keep the carbon to a minimal inside the car.

Upgraded radio is probably key. The 720s is getting driven a lot and for long distances (you just have to watch all the exotic car rally's and 720s is probably the most common car (comfort, visability, etc. is pretty key to a lot of people and nice radio sound is key to that).

Telemetry, back up cameras are key.

Papaya spark is a really nice color.

24. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Telemetry is for track use correct?

Planning on cameras, lift, exhaust (probably) 10 spoke wheels.

Carbon as it comes with performance package if I do a white car. Was going to go body color if an exotic color like papaya spark or maybe Napier green.

It’s so damn confusing trying to spec a car. Almost better to just buy one used and not have to deal with choices.

25. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    How critical is it to get sports exhaust? I honestly found little difference between the two.