Touring bike | FerrariChat

Touring bike

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by boxerman, Aug 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    A friend and I are looking at making the time to do the big ride out west down through the south and then back up through BC down through the Dakotas etc., and back. Maybe that will be two or 3 segments leaving the bikes partway along the trip for continuing later.

Have been looking at sport tourers. Seems like the BME RT fits right, others considered are the FJ1300 maybe the new goldwing or even a Triumph rocket with saddle bags.
    Havent really considered harley yet, possibly because my bike riding has always been more sportbike handling orientated even though i currently have sportseter in the stable.

I know adventure tourers are a thing and a BMW Gs is an obvious choice, but never got into dirt bikes and these feel like just a big dirt bike to me and are astheticaly horrible to my eyes.

Have ridden since age 7 but never done a weeks long or even days long trip, so maybe my understanding of whats best and what works is very limited.

interested in opinions and experiences of others, like what really works out on the road and what does not.
    Back tot he RT, it seems to work well from what i read and has a pretension of sportyness, but maybe its also just too much of an appliance?

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Congratulations! I don't think you can make a bad choice.
    I tried to fall in love with adventure bikes but for some reason, they didn't work for me.
    I've got time on RT's, FJ1300 and a Kawasaki Concours. I like all of them. Bang for the buck, the Kawasaki is great.
    The one I just really like is the BMW R 1200RT. Plenty of power and to me the most comfortable.

3. adc

adc Karting

Feb 1, 2009
    Motus

4. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I used to be the service manager at a large BMW dealership...as a result, I got to ride a LOT of motorcycles (BMWs and other brands as trade-ins).

If I had to choose one bike to have for the rest of my life, I’d probably go with an R1200RT.

boxerman and Texas Forever like this.
  5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I put over 100K miles on BMW bikes in less than ten years, with a couple of epic two week rides in excess of 7K miles each. I have an original Beta Bike R1100RS oilhead, and had a KRS and a KLT. My favorite all round is the RRS, which is why I still have it. The '98 K1200RS was beautiful, but it had too radical of a seating position. Too much like a sport bike. The LT was on the same chassis and was perfect for me. Since it was on the same chassis, it handled like a huge sport bike. I wore holes in the fairing lowers. :)

The newer generations don't have so many of the foibles of the older ones, and are somewhat lighter as well.

I beat a Goldwing on the BRP in a friendly race on the LT. He took off in the straights - way more HP - but I murdered him in the curves - way more ground clearance. I would never ride a Goldwing if sporting was any aspect of the formula. Also, dual sport bikes look cool and rugged, but they don't have enough wind protection. That gets tiring on long rides.

Get what's right for you, though, and have fun!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    1200 RT seems to be the choice. I go test ride one soon.
    From what I read there is a newer motor coming out, which is both good and bad. Good I guess because sue. More power and fuel efficiency, bad because something that’s been built for a while should have no bugs, but the there are probably deals to be had on the current rt.

7. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    I have NO personal experience with a well-riden BMW(though I had a K75RT), but as a member of one of the clubs, some of the stories in the house magazine I read during my ownership dispelled any notion that I needed a a faster bike. The RT is far more bike than you stated.

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Not necessarily faster, maybe like more alive and charismatic. Never had a touring bike, all my bikes have been sportbikes or nakeds. Closest was a honda VFR.
    But then horses for courses.

9. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I had a R1150RT for a few years with all sort of ambitions to tour, cruise, etc...never did and after a while I got bored with the bike, sold it after 4 years with 1,750 miles on the clock. Turns out what I really wanted was a sport bike, just piked up a S1000R, for me it fills the bill, not as versatile as a tour bike, but a whole lot more fun to ride.

MB

10. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I think it's a good call to go with the current model. BMW has had their share of issues with the first MY of significant changes. They are very good about taking care of it but it's just a hassle.

You mentioned liking a VFR. I had a VFR1200. Such a nice powerful motor. The RT will be kind of dull by comparison but much more comfortable.

boxerman likes this.
  11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Interesting, I found the VFR dull, but then I just doign 3 - 4hr rides with friends who were on full on sportsbikes. To me the VFR was neither really comfortable, nor focussed enough to really hack it in the canyons, it sort of fell between two stools.

12. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I just loved the engine. For a bunch of the stuff I did in Colorado the VFR was great. Not super twisty but not hwy drone either. My complaint was the small gas tank. Although, I traded bikes on those trips with a buddy that had an R1200R water cooled and I liked it better.

13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    One really needs 3 different bikes, hard to find one to cover the bases. As I've never been touring before I suppose I am defaulting to the more tourign orientated bike, because theyre built for the purpose intended.

14. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock
    I have made a couple of long trips on my BMW S1000XR.....nothing compares when the road gets twisty, even with hard cases stuffed full. On long stretches of Hwy 50, it made very, very, good time without a whimper.

15. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I couldn't agree more. I really don't like touring bikes in the twisties and I don't like sport oriented bikes thumping down the interstate. The sport tourers still seem pretty big to me but you need the space. The closest bike I've ridden to Swiss Army knife is the basic R1200R water cooled naked bike. Felt light as a feather and it just fit me. Keep us posted on what you do.

16. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I think a man needs 10 bikes
    10 cars
    4 trucks
    2 skidoos
    2 golf carts
    2-3 boats
    4 jet ski
    Main house
    Beach house
    Mountain cabin
    Maybe a couple of women. (Part time)

Edit : a chopper and a jet.

17. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    I'd ask...
    How do you like to ride? Bent over (Sport) or or upright (Adventure) or laying back, feet on the crash bars (Harley)?
    How much luggage space do you want/need? Motel-ing it or Camping?
    Interstates or twisties?

Can you handle severe weather?
    I learned that a good riding suit, heated liners and gloves will make life so much more tolerable.
    Personally, I like an upright seating position, low rpm at speed, windscreen and panniers.
    I like the custom seats by produced by Mayer; avoid Corbins.
    Do you want bike to bike communication with your buddies?
    Will you both buy the same bike?

I think GS's are the Range Rover's of motorcycles. They rarely if ever set a tire off pavement, but you look like you just did "The Long Way Round". I like the RT's better for touring; rented one on an Edelweiss Tour of the Alps with my wife two up. A little shy on the luggage space for two though.

My all time favorite bike was a 2004 KTM 950. I rode that from Canada to Mexico along the Continental Divide for two weeks mostly unpaved.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Texas Forever and G. Pepper like this.
  18. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    My man!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Jon Von Bon likes this.
  19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I’d like to hear more about your continental divide trip. We must be brothers from different mothers because I have always wanted to do this trip.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

20. aseweepay

aseweepay Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2004
    Mid-West
    I recently bought a 2015 FJR 1300 for sport touring. I had never been on one but rode it 400 miles home after purchase. The stock seat gets uncomfortable over time, but other than that, it’s a nice riding bike. From all the research I’ve done, they’re very very reliable....I was looking at a Ducati Multistrada and was extremely close to pulling the trigger on one, but figured my wife would be much more comfortable on the FJR. I almost bought a BMW K1600GT or RT, but they seemed to be more hit or miss on reliability than the FJR. I have a good friend that owned a BMW R1150RT, I rode it quite a bit years ago and it was a very nice bike to ride, as well as a K1200S.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Texas Forever and G. Pepper like this.
  21. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    the new GoldWing...in Sport Mode

no waiting Express Stratolounger with new suspension and 4 valve head

yes please